Closed to new replies
December 20, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 236

The impact of 3D printing on gun control

:iconragerancher:
Ragerancher Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012
As some of you may know, 3D printing is becoming much cheaper. Currently the cheapest printer is around $1,500 but it looks set to become even cheaper.

This obviously presents some problems with regards to gun control. An individual may not need to buy a gun since all they need is the appropriate design for the 3D printer and they could simply produce one themselves.

How do people thing gun control laws round the world will deal with this new technology as all they need is the design and they can start producing their own?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontinoculars:
Tinoculars Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
You wouldn't download a gun.
:icontrailerstash:
trailerstash Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
I think that once 3D printer tech matures and brings some top-level manufacturing capabilities to small dives on a budget (maybe providing tech optimization tools to squeeze higher quality out of the prints.

:iconsanjouin-dacapo:
sanjouin-dacapo Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student Digital Artist
If it'd print out a gun that would allow me to exterminate a rapist that is desperate enough to want to ejaculate inside of someone as ugly as myself, I'm all for it.
:iconfngrscr8dstroui:
fngrscr8dstroui Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional General Artist
Guns made from 3D printers are notoriously poor quality, b/c the ABS/PLA material used to make the prints can't withstand even 3 bullets firing w/o melting the barrel beyond use, so those worrying about would-be murderers manufacturing uzis and colts in their bedrooms don't need to worry much...their guns are going to suck hard.

I'm really intrigued w/ 3D printers for a different reason tho, so far as making scale models and controllers. Time to re-learn AutoCAD...

At least, I hope once 3D printer tech matures and brings some top-level manufacturing capabilities to small devs on a budget (maybe providing tech optimization tools to squeeze higher quality out of the prints, on behalf of the user's knowledge to do so), gun control policies won't try to outlaw them or make people who have them pay an extra tax....maybe a license wouldn't be a bad idea tho.
:iconebolabearvomit:
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
You do not need a plastic gun to fire a full clip. You just need an angry kid with the time and resources to make a gun and use it in a crime and the shitstorm about 3D printing will begin and never end.
:iconfngrscr8dstroui:
fngrscr8dstroui Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional General Artist
And that's the worrying part. Like just now, there was a thing in Newton where they gathered up all the violent games they could and burned them.

Yep, that's certainly going to prevent another Sandy Hook, peoples :S.
:iconebolabearvomit:
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
Angry people do dumb things when they do not include smart people in their activities.
:icondavidscript:
DavidScript Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Oh shit.
Add a Comment: