can we have a MENTAL HEALTH discussion please???

we in the forums, but also we as a society.

obviously, adam lanza (the connecticut school shooter) was extremely mentally ill. i don't know how someone is able to look into the eyes of an innocent little kid and then shoot them and then do it to multiple other kids. (and adults.) what can make someone actually want to do that??

THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT GUNS. even if he didn't have access to guns, he still had mental health problems that weren't being properly treated. so THAT is what i'm talking about!

post your thoughts on adam's mental health, or if you have a story about a person you know (or someone in the news) with mental issues, talk about them too. you can post links to helpful articles. so, what are your solutions to treat mentally ill people?

this isn't just about america, anyone can talk about their own country too. (but i don't want stupid "my country is better than your country" "no ur wrong we're better" arguments.)

i don't know much about this topic so i don't have anything to say. also, i don't have time to reply to each person individually. but i'll just read your thoughts.
Comments233
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
No because you can't score political brownie points that way!
I don't know about solutions, but I'm at least going to make a post I made in another thread about the type of problems we have to overcome:
-----
I suffer from depression and anxiety myself, ranging from barely manageable to bouts of the level of panic attacks and being unable to get out of bed and do anything.

On the societal level I've experienced everything from being called lazy (because of course feeling like totally fucking shit is "laziness"), and asked why I "don't just get over it already" (if only it were that easy), to being abandoned by friends and even my girlfriend because "I'm too depressing/they're tired of hearing about my problems", even as the times I'm really down are when I needed that support the most (gee, I'm so sorry my life isn't sunshine and rainbows for you, if you're tired of hearing about it, imagine what it's like having to actually live it). On the therapy side I've been belittled and treated condescendingly to the point of actually being physically abused and threatened by a bunch of dipshit police officers and therapists who simply could not accept that the initial therapist I dealt with was mistaken that I was suicidal and it was their forced, unwanted "treatment" that is what was upsetting me, so my attempts to get the hell out of a fucking scary situation were threatened with involuntary sedation, restraint, and hospital admittance.

And I'm the type of mentally ill person who is non-violent and fully sane in the sense of not experiencing dissociative thoughts or behavior. Now imagine trying to treat someone or society dealing with someone who is violent and/or experiences breaks from reality.
-----
i think he was just rejected by the ones he wanted to be noticed.
this and other influences like the asperger probably caused this disaster ...

i'm sick of Hearing this "i am soooo depressed"
if it has a reason like familiar tragedies or illness okay,
but some People just Need to get their ass together.

and it's not that Special that someone runs out to kill someone, even their own Family -
in tv there recently have been several reportings of Family fathers who killed their Family
because they (f.e.) lost their Job and thought they would be ashamed by that and there was
no other way because they could not feed them anymore.

biggest shit ever, i don't get it. if it wasn't because of some Kind of illness,
there is no reason or better - at least, explanation - for this.
What evidence is there that he was mentally ill? The massacre of 26 people including his own mother?
Nothing else he did before this massacre sounds much different than ordinary adolescents to me. To you? Depression? Anxiety? RLY!
Asberger's isn't a disease, and it's totally subjective. It just means social awkwardness. How many of us have that? C'mon don't be shy!
So aside from the actual crime I don't see how we're supposed to "red flag" this kid. He wasn't crazy until after he murdered- and if we're just going to call every person who acts on a sudden urge inside their own head by killing people as 'crazy' then we're kind of in trouble don't you think? If guns weren't so accessible he wouldn't have been able to do much more than punch a hall monitor or throw some desks.
Adam Lanza had Aspergers. It's neurological. Therefore it is not a mental illness...
The APA has dictated that whether it be organic or not, any variation that skews out of an acceptable performance is considered a mental illness, because it can be conrolled.
seriously pharm drugs will fuck up a person, we should legalize weed to help people
that you replied to me
I haven't followed the story that much. Did he have depression? Was he on meds for something?

What can make someone actually want to do that? I read many articles that suggest one reason: people try and "beat" someone else's record. They want to go down in history. They want to be a celebrity. I think Macleans's Magazine recently put out an issue that had the faces of all these Canadian killers on its cover. They get treated like evil stars. :disbelief:

Or course, there are probably many things that make someone go out and do something like that. Also, I read somewhere that most people who commit crimes had no history of mental health issues. Maybe many didn't seek help and should have.
Did he have depression?

I don't know why that's always the first thing people try to tie into mass shootings...Plenty of people are depressed. Most don't shoot other people. The worst is that they shoot themselves. You should be asking if he was sociopathic.
yea he was like fucked in the head
I've noticed that even in our Western societies mental health is often an issue overlooked until it's too late.

As a person who has undergone a mental break down, myself, I can speak from personal experience the difficulty of dealing with it in a society that would sooner sweep the issue under the carpet then deal with it.
I sought help, was handed a prescription of anti-depressants and sent on my way. I had to REQUEST counselling for myself, in which I was given 3 free sessions and then told that if I wanted further help I needed to pay a fee, which I couldn't afford at the time. I even sought out assistance to possibly help pay for the counselling I needed and was denied because they didn't believe my mental state to be enough of a concern to warrant treatment.
YET, just prior to that I remember telling a close friend of mine, "You know, I can see how easy it is for some folks to just lose it and kill people." It scared the sht out of me, and her, but at that time I could honestly see how people could go completely insane and, by doing so, lost all inhibitions, cares, and kill people without blinking an eye because, mentally, there's nothing left of a concients to stop them.
I actively sought help for myself, with no help from my doctor (who knew the state i was in) or anyone else. I had to struggle through it on my own and, thank goodness, succeeded.
But who's to say what would have happened if I'd been a weaker person who hadn't been able to pull myself back from insanity?
I don't even like thinking about it.

I've spoken to many people since and heard similar stories, so I know it wasn't just me who's been failed, but I still try to help people in similar situations find the help then need in whatever ways I can in hopes that no more need to fight alone like I did.
mental health isnt real according to most people
If by real you mean that it can be defined absolutely? Then no, it's not real. But, we have to consider that mental health can vary dramatically to most people even when they live within a half a mile of each other, it doesn't exist as a law, but most as a relative principle that guides each individual based on their own experiences and bringing up.
Which is ironic considering the majority will suffer some kind of mental health crisis during their lives!
I have mental issues, I was diagnosed with schizo-effective and have been doing decent with it, I mean it's no cake walk, it's a horrible experience that I could have possibly lived without. it's schizophrenia with bi-polar tendency with many other labels thrown in by various doctors and carried on. people can be mentally ill and have some what control over themselves, whereas others are so far gone, like this case here, and you have this sort of incident. sure the video games "might" have been the cause, or maybe it was the person. I play video games with quite a lot of violence in some of them. but to take up a weapon and walk into a school and kill people, a mall, a church, etc. I just don't see myself doing it, but there are some people which/who are so far mentally troubled it's only a matter of time, some never reach that point, some eventually do go over the edge. like sociopaths and the likes. most mental is genetic, but some is environmental.
A mentally ill person wrote this:

General memo: if you only care about mental health care in the wake of a shooting, you seriously need to question yourself. There are far more mentally ill people who hurt themselves than mentally ill people who shoot up a school. Mentally ill people are more likely to be victims of violence than perpetrators of it. Only talking about mental health after a shooting implies that you don’t care about mental illness when we’re being hurt; you only care about it when we’re hurting neurotypicals.

[link]
I meant less harder*
lol
In America alone there has been various killers and shooters without ANY mental problem.
The whole mental topic is nothing more but an issue to try to distract the public and everyone else about how too easy it is to get a gun in America. Much harder then it is to get a car.

Through yes the western culture should learn how to deal with people with mental ilnesses.