Link

Statistics

Replies: 37

Let's say

:iconanatarakentara:
AnataraKentara Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Europe formally unites under one ruler.

What, then, would be the better method of rule -

Division of the nations into provinces, and ruling the provinces by themselves, equal to each other,

Ruling the nations as one unit, equal to the others,

or ruling the provinces by themselves, with a loose union of geo-graphical "dioceses" to address larger issues?

Because, as I see it, Europe has more languages and people than nations, and the EU, if it becomes some super power, will have to radically redivise itself and Europe for any long, prosperous control (barring natural economic rumblings)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconheaven-spawn:
heaven-spawn Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
i would do it, be that leader. make the weed legal and illegalize the guns
AnataraKentara Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Illegalize the guns. Sure, let the criminals only have guns, because Police are EVERYWHERE and can respond in a second, right?

Germany has 10 million handgun owners and goes along fine.

Meanwhile, in the U.K, a homeowner can be brought to court by a criminal for hurting the criminal.

You enjoy yourself.
heaven-spawn Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
hire more police duh, more jobs for people
AnataraKentara Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Police still won't be everywhere. Avoidable disasters will still occur.
heaven-spawn Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
if you say so. other countries have proof it works
:iconragerancher:
Ragerancher Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012
I think if the EU becomes a super-nation then many powers should be retained by the individual states. For example taxation, spending etc. Realistically only Eurozone nations can become united as you can't run a nation with multiple currencies. Debt would also have to be centralised for the same reason.

Ultimately the most crucial aspect would be to establish the EU Parliament as the sovereign EU institution and remove things like the Council of Europe, the European council (they are different), the Council of Ministers and the Commission. Also the EU would have to stop pandering so much to the national interests of the few. The French have a ridiculously unfair amount of influence in Europe, from the Common Agricultural Policy to having 2 parliament buildings that the MEPs have to shuttle between for no reason whatsoever.

Ultimately though a proper united EU will eventually solve the problem of Europe collectively being a huge power but due to being splintered into many nations, it is practically ignored. To put things in perspective, it has a larger economy than the USA if you treat it as one country. You wouldn't have guessed from the little influence it has in the world.
AnataraKentara Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
That seems to be the way it would go, EU or no - no matter the union, the province/nation in it will still want a degree of rule and power within their borders - that can be done.

The biggest question out there I've seen is - "If the EU becomes something, how much power does it get, how much power do we retain, and how do we keep it from exploding inside out?"
:iconstoneman123:
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I should think that it would be best to keep the union subdivided into multiple provinces, as you could have a layer of government devoted specifically to regional concerns. If you didn't, then the central government would have to make all the decisions for the nation in its entirety. They might not be as well informed on the issues as local politicians, and to have to make those extra decisions would put undue strain on their resources. Surely it's best to delegate some degree of authority to regional governments, who are in turn governed by the central government.
heaven-spawn Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
i agree
:icondutchconnaisseur:
DutchConnaisseur Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
Europe isn't going to be a superpower the coming century. Sure, it will be a top seven world player, but one of the lesser ones.
Our population is getting older, we don't have that much raw materials and we are not willing to use force in politics.
On the other hand we still will be rather wealthy with good life expectancy IF we manage economic and political stability (which I am pretty optimistic about, actually).
Add a Comment: