Link

Statistics

Replies: 37

Let's say

:iconanatarakentara:
AnataraKentara Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Europe formally unites under one ruler.

What, then, would be the better method of rule -

Division of the nations into provinces, and ruling the provinces by themselves, equal to each other,

Ruling the nations as one unit, equal to the others,

or ruling the provinces by themselves, with a loose union of geo-graphical "dioceses" to address larger issues?

Because, as I see it, Europe has more languages and people than nations, and the EU, if it becomes some super power, will have to radically redivise itself and Europe for any long, prosperous control (barring natural economic rumblings)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconheaven-spawn:
heaven-spawn Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
i would do it, be that leader. make the weed legal and illegalize the guns
AnataraKentara Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Illegalize the guns. Sure, let the criminals only have guns, because Police are EVERYWHERE and can respond in a second, right?

Germany has 10 million handgun owners and goes along fine.

Meanwhile, in the U.K, a homeowner can be brought to court by a criminal for hurting the criminal.

You enjoy yourself.
heaven-spawn Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
hire more police duh, more jobs for people
AnataraKentara Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Police still won't be everywhere. Avoidable disasters will still occur.
heaven-spawn Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
if you say so. other countries have proof it works
:iconragerancher:
Ragerancher Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012
I think if the EU becomes a super-nation then many powers should be retained by the individual states. For example taxation, spending etc. Realistically only Eurozone nations can become united as you can't run a nation with multiple currencies. Debt would also have to be centralised for the same reason.

Ultimately the most crucial aspect would be to establish the EU Parliament as the sovereign EU institution and remove things like the Council of Europe, the European council (they are different), the Council of Ministers and the Commission. Also the EU would have to stop pandering so much to the national interests of the few. The French have a ridiculously unfair amount of influence in Europe, from the Common Agricultural Policy to having 2 parliament buildings that the MEPs have to shuttle between for no reason whatsoever.

Ultimately though a proper united EU will eventually solve the problem of Europe collectively being a huge power but due to being splintered into many nations, it is practically ignored. To put things in perspective, it has a larger economy than the USA if you treat it as one country. You wouldn't have guessed from the little influence it has in the world.
AnataraKentara Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
That seems to be the way it would go, EU or no - no matter the union, the province/nation in it will still want a degree of rule and power within their borders - that can be done.

The biggest question out there I've seen is - "If the EU becomes something, how much power does it get, how much power do we retain, and how do we keep it from exploding inside out?"
:iconstoneman123:
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I should think that it would be best to keep the union subdivided into multiple provinces, as you could have a layer of government devoted specifically to regional concerns. If you didn't, then the central government would have to make all the decisions for the nation in its entirety. They might not be as well informed on the issues as local politicians, and to have to make those extra decisions would put undue strain on their resources. Surely it's best to delegate some degree of authority to regional governments, who are in turn governed by the central government.
heaven-spawn Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
i agree
:icondutchconnaisseur:
DutchConnaisseur Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
Europe isn't going to be a superpower the coming century. Sure, it will be a top seven world player, but one of the lesser ones.
Our population is getting older, we don't have that much raw materials and we are not willing to use force in politics.
On the other hand we still will be rather wealthy with good life expectancy IF we manage economic and political stability (which I am pretty optimistic about, actually).
AnataraKentara Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
All of that can change.

But I would rather see Europe united and stable than fighting itself and killing itself more and more.
DutchConnaisseur Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
>All of that can change.

No, most of it can't change:
-Our population is getting older
-We don't have that much raw materials
-Europe is a combinations of different peoples, different languages. We are reasonable good at cooperation, but don't allow to be dominated by one group or the other.
Those are given.

I hope (and expect) Europe will be pretty stable, but it won't have the means or the aspiration to become a world leader.

Read a few of the future forecasts that have been made for 2030 by different thinkers, companies and organizations:
[link]

AnataraKentara Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
If everything stays the same, it won't change, but we cannot assume the future is stagnant - who knows what can happen. Economic collapse can change governments, governmental programs can change populations. While far-fetched dreams cannot happen, surely, a little change on top of a cascade of scenarios and causes can lead to a different Europe.
DutchConnaisseur Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012
In the long term all bets are off. 2030 is not the long term. The trends won't change in 18 years time.
AnataraKentara Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
2030's a full generation away...that's long enough to start the changes.
DutchConnaisseur Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012
No it isn't. Study demographics and future trends before you make assumptions.
:iconjaegerofice:
Jaegerofice Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
If it would happen, and even stay together. The Nations should be allowed some level off autonomity. Mostly because each coountry has it's own culture and tradition and as said earlier, every one hates the guy at the other side of the hill.

But then we have another problem, should there be as it is now that each nation gets representatives to the senate relative to it's population or ssame ammount nation? The way things are now is understandable but could easily lead in the minorities(small nations) being screwed over, but with equal ammount of persons representing each country the city states get huge boost in influence. Still at least taht way there will at least be a change that south wont screw us over.

Yes I am really worried of that and I can see why it would cause some one to frown, but seeing how their politicians act is not reassuring that all would be fine. And not to mention the urge to protect wolves there seems to be... Not our fucking fault that they are extinct in there! If you want to save them, we'll gladly send every single one of them to them! Let's see how long it takes until they start pegging we'd sent hunters to take care of that wolf problem. (Don't take this the wrong way, I'm all for protecting species. But those are a problem in some parts of the country where wolf population is relatively heavy, Russians and Swedish can back that claim too)

My bet, if that ever is really going to happen, it will include a civil war(s). Or just a huge ass cluster fuck when all the roosters are trying to top each others.
In a represenative government, I would say 1 senator per "nation".

A possible, lower house based on population could work, but then, what's the point? They'll just fight each other for funds and laws that would hurt each other more, when 1 senator can do this (with his/her staff, of course)

Autonomous nations - to an extent. That is always the question - what is to much, what is to little? Look at Spain - they actually gave the provinces what they wanted in funds and the nation was in a fragile economic state, now being shattered by the EU. To give to much freedom, especially on province-level spending, is a rocky, rocky road. Oh, and, like always, the provinces look at the center and blame it for everything.
:iconjaegerofice:
Jaegerofice Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
Still if no autonomy is given, by what standards do we go by? if money is pooled together than then used universally the richer coutries would pay for the poorer ones, which is just as bad as leting certain countries run their own economy.

And then there are the enviroment dependant laws, to south europeans our laws seem ridiculous and over reaching, to us their laws are inadequate.

Next military. See a lot of countries have professional military. But then there are those who have conscripton based army, like in here Finland. Now to us the fact that every man is trained soldier is part of our national pride. Also we can't aford credibly sized professional military with out taking the funds from somewhere else, which is not a good idea for us either. So if the funding would remain same but switching to professional army would happen, we'd have to rely on, for example, French and Italians... You see the problems in that, don't you?

Education... You know either we bring Spain and others in similar state to same level we are or we go down to there. And the later option is a no go.

Cultures. Do you honestly expect that there'd be no conflicts at all? EU is even now having trouble with Romania to get rid of child marriages(the kind where families organize a mariage between their kids).

Health care, again same problems as with education and military, needs tobe universalized, but by which standards.

And the list goes on. But do not worry,two world wars is enough to prevent us from starting to fight any time soon... How ever to us Finns and Baltics, Russia is our only threath, if not overly likely one. We'll start worrying about Islamic extrimists when they even find us from the map. And even then, well there is a reason why we have our reputation ;).
:iconwitwitch:
witwitch Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Student Writer
Ehhh, I don't know if this would works. I don't think a single ruler would work as well as a parliamentary type leadership.
I should had been more precise.

Not a monarch or a dictator, but a PM, with a senate system.

From that, what type of divisions, as said in the OP, would work?
:iconsherberttcat:
SherbertTCat Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Monarchies are all but decorative figure heads these days, no?

From that, what type of divisions, as said in OP, would work?
:iconsherberttcat:
SherbertTCat Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Honestly I don't see it working.
Look at the mess that the European Union is.
The EU is a supra national union, based on a alliance, trying to become a full government. By default, it will fuck everything up, because it was never meant to control nations as a true government, and yet it is trying too.

It will fail if it continues trying to being something it was not meant to be.
:iconopiumrooster:
opiumrooster Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
i think just say fuck it and make it anarchy in the uk but apply to every nation fuck the police.
:iconskulkey:
skulkey Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
if you've been paying attention to the protests going on over there, your description is pretty accurate. ;)
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
I somehow doubt all of the EU would unite under a single leader.

From that, what type of divisions, as said above, would work?
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
Don't think it'd be a wise idea to have a single senate. Too much cultural division.
A two house system, then?

I prefer a single house system, but thats the thing - Europe, while it can unite, will still hate each guy from across the hill. Thus the OP - how would one govern such a union?
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
No. You'd likely need a separate house for Germany alone. 3 or more house system.
:iconcreamstar:
Creamstar Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
A new Roman Empire?
Well, possibly. Especially since most of the Western continent is directly Latin-descended, but eh, Slavs and Germanics populate what, at least 17 nations in Europe itself?
:iconbullet-magnet:
Bullet-Magnet Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Undead Monarchy.
:iconwolfyspice:
WolfySpice Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Surely they would have thought about that first before uniting?
Oh aye, but even the modern system has a few problems and groanings.
Add a Comment: