Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 24

What if Fast Food workers were unionized?

:icondannimondesigns:
DannimonDesigns Dec 12, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I was reading this article [link] and I got to thinking, what if Fast Food Workers were actually unionized? Lets discuss and see what crazy scenarios we can come up with...

Questions to consider:
1. How would Unionizing Fast Food Workers affect food prices?
2. Will striking McDonalds and Burger King Workers force you to learn how to cook or eat at a fancier restaurant?
3. Who will be included in these unions, is it just people who work at McDonalds/Burger Kings etc, or will this include waitresses, waiters, baternders etc?
4. Would we be better off eating food from people who are working at a higher wage than someone working at or below minimum wage?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconheaven-spawn:
heaven-spawn Dec 23, 2012
dude man i hate unions
:icondannimondesigns:
DannimonDesigns Dec 24, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
You must like the following then:

- Working 18-20 Hour shifts without a break
- Dangerous and deadly working conditions
- No insurance, if injured on the job you lose your job
- no days off for holidays, no vacations, sick days, no personal time, heck your're lucky if you even get a lunch or bathroom break
- No paid overtime, employers can keep you working all day long for weeks straight if they wanted to
- no minimum wage, lets see you try to buy groceries with your $0.15 an hour job
- child labor, must be fun having your little sister or brother crawling through large machines
- environmental laws, you must love the taste of water contaminated with oil, radiation and dangerous chemicals

and dont say the government provided these things, its the Unions that made the government provide these things. Unions are the only line of defense against the super-wealthy from legally coming into your home and selling you for slave wages in the name of capitalism.
:iconcrotale:
You should stop drinking whatever flavor koolaid and conduct actual research. The conditions you mentioned have not existed wholesale in the US for decades. Current government regulation takes care of muh of this a local, state and federal levels. Today's unions focus more on higher wages and increased benefits for professionals, not on conditions for unskilled laborers.
:iconheaven-spawn:
heaven-spawn Dec 24, 2012
dude wtf
:icondefense2:
Baring the US government intervention... This isn't possible and heres why.

1) too many work in this industry.... There are too many uneducated workers who can do the job. (supply and demand)

2) People (namely uneducated) tend to blame the union for everything that goes wrong... even when they did things that the union can't help them with.
:iconrustyironmonger:
rustyironmonger Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I would stop supporting ALL delis, restaurants and bars, just as I have decided to stop supporting Wal-Mart if they bow to the pressures of this outdated movement living on patriotism and memories of the Industrial Revolution.
:iconpicturefragments:
picturefragments Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
It would cost more for lower quality food.
:iconsherberttcat:
SherbertTCat Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It would no longer be "Fast" food, because the union twats would whinge about how they're being expected to work in a timely manner.
:iconrizhnir:
Say goodbye to the dollar menu?
:iconder-freishutz:
der-freishutz Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
you could have the fast food soviet made up of the common workers.
Add a Comment: