Closed to new replies
December 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 24

Soft politics

:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Recently, there are lots of areas in politics and legislation where it seems like there are two competing ideologies, fighting about what is the best way to deal with an issue.

Specifically, it seems to come down to "soft" vs. "hard" politics. The hard-line policy seems to be to try to combat an unwanted phenomenon by harsh penalties, criminalizing unwanted behaviour, and lots of zero-tolerance policies on various issues. The fallacy in this kind of thinking is that it overlooks a fundamental aspect of human psychology. People are not going to stop doing something that is natural to them just because it's criminalized, and often times this leads to additional trouble.

I'll give examples. First, there's the one most everyone knows about, the war on drugs. The hard-line policy is that "drugs" (a totally arbitrary definition of certain chemical substances, that are intoxicating when consumed, but not certain other chemical substances, that are also intoxicating when consumed) should be totally eradicated from society, and that mankind should strive for a situation where no one ever consumes any "drugs", even if we have to kill people to do it.

Second, there's the copyright industry and their war on piracy. Their hard-line policy includes handing out excessive jail sentences to teenagers for sharing files over the internet. If public libraries were invented today, they would be banned very quickly, because apparently the sharing of culture is a huge crime that threatens all of society.

Third, there's the war on sex. This is a hard-line policy that requires making prostitution illegal. It's mostly based on moral views of certain people, and secondarily to some of the side-effects of it, such as human trafficking and crime. Mostly the people who campaign for harsher penalties on prostitution seem to try really hard to ignore the fact that most of those side effects are a direct consequence of it being illegal in the first place.

But then, this seems to be a common theme to all of them. All of these issues have one thing in common, which is that the actual criminalization causes more harm than the "crime" itself. Each of these could be handled as a social issue instead of a criminal one. That's where soft politics comes in.

Soft politics is more about realism than crusades. Soft politics realizes that most of these goals are unattainable (we'll never get rid of drugs, prostitution or piracy) and that the best thing to do in the circumstances is to find a solution that causes the minimum amount of harm to all involved.

The war on drugs could be ended by making mild drugs fully legal and taxable, and putting hard drugs on prescription so that addicts could use them safely. That's a harm reduction policy. The money and resources that now goes wasted into fighting an unwinnable drug war could be used for education, combating poverty, and increasing the security and protection of citizens, as police wouldn't have to chase drug users they could concentrate on preventing and solving serious crimes. Furthermore, the money that now goes to organized crime would go to legitimate businesses that could be taxed, bringing even more income to governments. This extra income could be used to treat addicts of harder drugs, making them more likely to become productive members of society again. The economy would gain a huge boost.

When it comes to piracy, file sharing and copying should be legalized. This would force the copyright holders to seek more sustainable business models that wouldn't be dependent on trying to create artificial scarcity on markets where scarcity doesn't naturally exist. Crowd funding, crowd sourcing and other such financial models could be adapted and developed into new models of distribution for all content. This would cut down the fat old record labels, publishers and other middlemen who do nothing but profit from the work of others like the fat parasites they are.

As for prostitution, why not make it a legitimate business? Why shouldn't a person be allowed to decide to have sex with another person for pay, if they so choose? How is it anyone else's business if I decide to tell someone else I'm willing to have sex with them if they pay me some amount? It isn't. Human trafficking could be dealt with with existing laws, and it could be completely separated from legitimate prostitution. Prostitutes themselves would gain all the benefits of a real job, such as insurance, healthcare, protection of society.

Why is it that "soft on crime" is such a crime? I think if we all became more "soft on crime", the world would be a better place.

Now, to anticipate some of the usual counter-arguments, no, this wouldn't mean we would have to legalize murder, rape, pedophilia, theft or any such thing. Like I said, there's a clear, very simple litmus test to see if an issue could be better solved by decriminalization or soft politics. And that is, if the criminalization is causing more harm than the actual "crime" itself, it's likely that the current solution is not working.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconskulkey:
skulkey Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
the notion that people can't be trusted to make the right decisions for themselves is an authoritarian one. the opposite of this is a libertarian (or even anarchist, if you will) one. i'm of the latter.

i'm also a believer in primary prevention where bad choices are concerned, and treatment and rehab when that fails. in a soft policy, money no longer directed at punitive measures can be spent on both programs. that's the kind of society i'd like to see.
I am mostly in favor of libertarian ideals when it comes to the rights of individuals.

Sadly, most self-proclaimed "libertarians" today seem to be of the mind that this should include granting corporations and their lobby organizations the same rights. That we should not interfere in or regulate the "free market" in any way. This is fallacious, because often those corporations have vested interests in disrespecting the rights of the individuals, and the individuals' rights should always trump the rights of corporations or other business entities.
skulkey Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
i tend to argue from a moderate anarchist viewpoint, but my preference is for anarcho-leftist ideals. i don't trust any sufficiently large bureaucracy, be it government or corporate. bureaucracies are notorious for shitting on individual rights and accumulating power in places untouchable by the people.

that said, i can at least appreciate right-libertarian arguments regarding the free market and keeping government from being able to select the winners (via kickbacks, etc.). corruption runs both ways in that regard, and if we must have a capitalist society, we should keep government and business from being involved with / interfering with one another.
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I agree that there's corruption and it should be fought against. But many of the internet-libertarians seem to see government regulation as negative, no matter what the regulation does - they just bundle in all regulation as being inherently oppressive. Whereas I think that's shortsighted, because I don't think regulation itself is bad or good, it can be used for either. And regulation of markets is still necessary to ensure fair competition, and competition is required for free markets to even function. Monopolies (and oligopolies) are harmful for both consumers and economy, and without some intervention there's no way to stop them being formed.

Ideally, the government should watch over corporations and hold them accountable, whereas the people should watch over the government and hold it accountable. If there are abuses in corporations, it's governments job to deal with them. If there are abuses in government, it's the citizens' duty to act and demand changes in government.
skulkey Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
yeah, the "all regulations are evil" thing is a bit irritating, but there are so many useless regulations out there that i can understand why a great deal of pruning is in order.

"watchdogs" are a key concept, i think. i long for a day when the people are more informed and involved in the process. they need to wake up to their own oppression, first, and that is not an easy thing to do...
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Certainly there's a lot of superficial bureaucracy. I suspect a lot of it exists to create jobs for bureaucrats...

As for watchdogs, the situation is improving, I think, in some ways at least. Internet is a good thing, it's much easier to get people organized to fight causes than it was 20 years ago. I think that's one of the main reasons why some people/governments want so badly to suppress it.
:icontheawsomeopossum:
TheAwsomeOpossum Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
Sir, isn't the idea that one causes more or less harm than the other a matter of opinion? After all, people don't always agree as to what things are harmful, or how harmful they are. So I don't think it's quite as clear of a litmus test as you think it is.
Harm can be quantified, surveyed, measured and arranged into neat little piecharts.

People don't agree about a lot of things. Some [who?] might argue that the world is flat, but that doesn't mean it's a reasonable position, when we have plenty of evidence of the world's ellipsoidness.
:icontheawsomeopossum:
TheAwsomeOpossum Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
"Harm can be quantified, surveyed, measured and arranged into neat little piecharts. "

Please tell me precisely how much harm, as an integer, that eating a piece of cheese does. It isn't that simple.

"People don't agree about a lot of things. Some [who?] might argue that the world is flat, but that doesn't mean it's a reasonable position, when we have plenty of evidence of the world's ellipsoidness."

Ever studied solipism? Reasonable is a point of view, a perspective, an opinion. It's not as simple as 'it has evidence' or 'no it doesn't' in ethical theory. Philosophy doesn't have the black and white truth that science portrays.
Well, that depends. What type of cheese? Casu marzu is pretty damn iffy if you ask me.

Anyway, cheese is actually a good example. It's addictive (contains high levels of casomorphins), has health concerns (contains fat, raises cholesterol) and is not a necessity for humans. So why is cheese still legal?

Because we can evaluate the harm that criminalization of cheese would cause, and compare it to the current harms of legal cheese, and we can make a decision that it would be more harmful for society as a whole to outlaw cheese. Cheese is so popular, that outlawing it would produce a huge outrage, it would drive cheese manufacture and sale to the black market, and this would eliminate all quality control and hurt the economy. These are quantifiable effects. They can be measured.

But cheese doesn't have the demonized stigma that prostitution or drugs have, so it's easier for people to think about cheese rationally.
Add a Comment: