Closed to new replies
December 8, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 159

Asians are smarter.

:iconinfinitetolerance:
infinitetolerance Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
Just take a look at the top five countries. [link] They're all Asian.

Now, we need to seriously take a look at our education system and model it more towards how the Asians do it.

I know Japan has tougher schools because they have longer school days, weeks, and years.

That is something we need to seriously consider doing in our own country.

Any suggestions?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmeanus:
meanus Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013
if they'e smarter, why do t hey need so much education?
infinitetolerance Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013
The education makes them smarter. They ARE smarter, just like black people in America are smarter than native Africans.
:iconsiegeonthorstadt:
siegeonthorstadt Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013
theyre smarter because theyre poorer. why would you need to study if you had 56094435348 companies raping the world 94866894564\3534?
:iconheaven-spawn:
heaven-spawn Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
everyone knows asians are smarter man
infinitetolerance Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013
then why when I say whites are smarter than blacks nobody believes me
:iconirononiji:
iroNoNiji Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Because they aren't. Have you ever met a middle class Afro-Caribbean (II knew a lot of those)? They can be quite clever. Just like white people. Or Asians. Or whatever.
infinitetolerance Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013
So because you met one person who goes against the stereotype, it completely negates the fact that black people have an average IQ of 83.
iroNoNiji Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
More than you. A lot usually does not mean one person. At least I haven't heard it used like that.
iroNoNiji Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
*they're more intelligent
:iconslolv:
Slolv Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Haha your topic post was kind of misleading in my opinion. Because I'm an asian and I don't consider myself smart at all :P But it all kind of depends on which culture and country you're from, and which kind of school system you have. When it comes to measurements on which countries who are the smartest, it kind of depends on who the school takes in for the testing. In Norway, we take in everyone, even peoples with dyslectic and dyscalculia. And other countries they only test the very best peoples. Now compare that country to Norway, and you'll get your statistic..
heaven-spawn Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
dude fuck no. you know how many hours of school that is? fuck that shit
:iconpocky-japan-ai-epic:
Pocky-Japan-Ai-epic Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Sigh this again?
In South Korea, you're in school literally ALL day.
You have to be at school at 7:00AM and you leave at like 10PM.
In China the kids are taught discipline, and they have a month break (I've heard from this Chinese kid in LA Class) before they go to the next grade.
In Japan they have Golden Week but the classes are set up differently, and elementary school goes from kindergarten to 6th grade and Middle School from 7th to 9th grade. Also these guys in Asian countries mainly eat fish.
If you give those kids living in South Asia (Like India, Pakistan, Bangladesh) a chance to get a proper education like that, they'd be just as 'smart'.
The problem with the US education system is we have to many breaks. We have Winter, Thanksgiving, Spring, and Summer break being the longest of around 2 1/2 months+.
The nutrition here is bad too, if they gave us proper fish then who knows what wonders that might do. I agree with whoever said take a kid from Asia and put him/her in an American environment. You'll obviously see the difference.
:iconpocky-japan-ai-epic:
Pocky-Japan-Ai-epic Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I got the information on Korea from these former High School English teachers who taught there.
It was an informative post:[link] this one and there was this one YouTube video of their too, hope I helped.
:icondragonquestwes:
DragonQuestWes Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
Asians just work harder.

Also, Wikipedia is not a reliable source. You need more than that.
:iconangelxxuan:
angelxxuan Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Student General Artist
there are studies going to be done and kids, in key states, will have to attend school for longer hours. one of the main causes of lack of education in the usa is this: in Asian countries some forbid their children to play video games, watch movies, watch animation, have after school fun with their friends and they are forced to keep to the school, if they slack off some, they can face beatings and scolding from whomever is raising them. in other Asian countries they allow them to have some fun and play video games, which they approve and they must stop playing them after a certain hour and they must have their homework and studies done before they are even permitted for this.

also, in a lot of Asian countries, you have brackets, like in America, you have elementary, middle and high school then finally college age groups. upon each exit of elementary, middle and high you take a test, if you fail this test at any time you are forced to head off to work and not permitted to attend the higher grades and before you even exit college you have to place a certain grade or you pretty much wasted your time so to speak. so, they typically weed out the ignorant with each grade section and force them into the work force.
:icondebit:
Debit Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Take Asian student successes with a grain of salt. Things are not quite rosy. Take South Korea, for example. Kids well before the age of 10 are under a LOT of pressure: tutoring classes (just about anything ranging from traditional academic subjects to piano lessons, and of course English lessons as well!) which easily exceed the amount of time spent in school. Most of these are geared up for passing exams to get into better middle, then high school, then college. Next to impossible to not go along with this hefty schedule due to parental and peer pressures. Not surprisingly, they suffer from higher rates of suicides.

One major shortcoming with having a very regimented growing up years is that it does not prepare kids well to adult life. While they may rank top ten by the time they graduate from high school, their lead diminishes quite a bit once they become college students.
infinitetolerance Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012
thx 4 posting
:icondebit:
Debit Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
You are very much welcome! :)

Notice how the South Korean example in early (and heavily regimented) education do not adequately prepare youngsters for their (eventually adult-life) future.
:iconwitwitch:
witwitch Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Student Writer
That chart on the right was last updated in 2007.

[link]

Here is a more updated article. Currently, Finland has one of the best education system in the world.
:iconmaddalinamocanu:
MaddalinaMocanu Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Yes that is true, but look on the chart again... they have no data for U.K. or any other of the Western European countries, but they do have for the Eastern European countries... That might indicate that poorer countries have smarter students. I'm just saying.
:iconstoneman123:
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Maybe it's not the structure of the schools, but rather the culture these children are brought up in. Many east Asian countries, namely China and Japan, both place considerable value on hard work and discipline, and have for centuries. It may be tempting to just raise the standards, but you can't get good grades out of children just by demanding them. The Asians, I suspect, are by now accustomed to over-achieving. If you were to take an average American child and hold them to the educational standards of one of those top-five countries, all you'd get is another failure. Sadly, I am not well versed in educational philosophy, and can offer no alternative for raising our national educational performance. I can only hope our experts can resolve it, and soon.
:iconragerancher:
Ragerancher Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
Asians aren't smarter at all, they simply put more effort in at school. Take an asian out of their culture and put it in the US culture and they would perform the same as anyone else.
heaven-spawn Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
that is true
:iconcoolcat10189:
coolcat10189 Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
Infinite! I thought we talked about this! Have you learned nothing? D:<
:iconferricplushy:
FerricPlushy Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
You'll notice that these education scores are inversely proportional to the fertility rates of the countries [link]
America has intelligent students, it's just that the student body is diluted by idiots. It has been proven year after that on average the dumber you are, the poorer you are, the more kids you have and the exact opposite is true. The school system is just filled to the brim with litters of children from stupid parents.
I feel that if you have roughly one child on average like these elite academic countries, not only do these children get the full attention and help from their parents, but in these countries you're expected to perform incredibly in school.
I mean in this country we have lavish parties celebrating high school graduation, that's nothing to be proud of, that should be expected of you. Graduate or undergraduate degree I can see celebrating, but celebrating you have all the credentials to work at wal mart is idiocy.
I don't care if this sounds fascist, we have stupid people breeding in litters, celebrating mediocrity.
:iconpsyopjunkie:
psyopjunkie Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
have you seen idiocracy?
Terrible movie but it's so resonant with modern society.
:iconpriteeboy:
priteeboy Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
That's how I've always felt - it can't just be a coincidence that the stupider, poorer parents are the ones that pop out half a dozen kids, and then complain about the fact the schools aren't doing enough to "babysit" their little brats :roll: Having so many children in any situation, particularly in this day and age is an irresponsible act to begin with no matter what financial situation you're in (granted rich people can live with the demand much easier, but just because they can afford to have 6 kids doesn't mean they should) An irresponsible act like that likely means irresponsible ongoing care later. It is much harder to give your children the attention they need, especially regarding help with schoolwork when you have half a dozen instead of just one or two. I did notice a trend in my school as well actually - most of the brightest students were only-childs or had no more than just one other sibling. Meanwhile the trailer trash ones seem to have had one member in every grade, all of which were the jerk of their respective classes :disbelief:
And to stifle a potential argument later on, having older siblings that have taken the same classes would not help because having a C student help another C student leads to a C student
Lol, yeah - I could have really used an older brother who wasn't the school delinquent :lol:
:iconbytestream:
Bytestream Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You're still here? :lol:
:iconnovuso:
Novuso Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
Longer school days won't improve American Education.

All one has to do is walk into a Kindergarten class room to understand American's don't take education seriously. They have all the kids sitting at round tables instead of desks. This is supposedly so the kids can do "group work." There is no such thing as group work when you are trying to learn to read. Modern early education has taught a generation of kids that is "ok" to copy off the smart kid. Fast forward 20 years later and those same kids are cheating on college exams and turning in reports they didn't write. This culture of cheating and non-education goes all the way back to kindergarten and First, Second grade. That is where the real change has to happen. You can't expect a 18 year old who has been getting by on group work (cheating) and suddenly expect them take responsibility for their own academics.
:iconpsyopjunkie:
psyopjunkie Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
hi you might like this book:

[link]

it has a chapter on education "reforms".
Longer school days would make kids despise learning even more I think :iconseriousnod: Easy for people to say that now as adults, but let's remember childhood and how horribly long each day at school felt. Time does seem to pass much slower from a kid's point of view, many are often exhausted by the end of a normal school day as is, you can't teach a mind that is bored, tired and wanting to be anywhere else but there :no:

I think group work has some value to it, after all everyone needs to be able to function as part of a team in almost any job, and learn the skills to not leech off the one who knows it all and works the hardest, but also show interest in helping those who are having difficulty figuring something out. But indeed independence should be taught more in schools too :nod:
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Well, there is more going on than just the longer school days, though.

You can lock American kids in school 18 hours a day and we'd still be behind. It's not just quantity that is the issue.

Part of that is that our education system is just bad. The way things are taught is bad. How many years are we pumping the same information into our kids heads before they finally 'get' it? How many kids are in the 5th or even 12th grade and can barely read and do basic math? So there needs to be reform in the way we teach.

Speaking of reform, though, they are teaching math in my daughters school very, very differently than they did for us. They say the kids get it much faster. So there is some hope at least.

Another part of it is cultural. In those countries, there is a very big sense of being part of something greater- working hard is not for personal gain as much as for the good of the community. Culturally, they feel as though they are a vital part of a very large group. America, in contrast, is focused on being a large groups of individuals, who work to make things better for themselves.
:iconworkoutprogress:
workoutprogress Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012   Photographer
Responsibility OP.
:iconk-koji:
K-Koji Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
I went to school in Japan for awhile. Asian teenagers aren't born with the same sense of entitlement americans are. Also, there are very strict consequences for their actions across the board.
Some teachers in Japan will put a box at the front of the class and all students must put their phones in it during class time. I think American teens would scoff at that, maybe call mommy or daddy and sue the teacher for impeding on some imaginary rights violation.
:iconendeavor-to-freefall:
Endeavor-To-Freefall Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
Silly generalizations aside there's a problem with the US education system and it's quite evident in the number of American born people reaching the top of their field in medical and technological advancement, fields in which the majority are from other countries brought in to work on projects in the US. I'm not saying it should be more like Japan but recognizing that a problem is developing goes a long way to fixing it.
:iconorangekrissy:
OrangeKrissy Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
Good luck with that. You have to deal with teacher unions, not to mention kids and parents. Let's not even get into budgets that the schools need to deal with. They are more into cutting programs than making it more expensive.
:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Suggestion: stop drinking the bong water.
infinitetolerance Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
Stop watching TV.
:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm already not watching TV right now.
:iconzingam:
Zingam Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Well, a few thousand years ago the top five countries were in Africa. So does it mean that Africans were smarter back then and Asians were dumb?
No. It doesn't mean that.
So, what does it mean then?
Are you asking me to explain YOUR point?
No, I think that you are just spamming and trolling ;)

Even if we assume that we have just three races Mongoloids (Asians is completely ignorant and improper term), Whites and Blacks... and even if we can say that Mongoloids are 100% intelligent, the Whites would be 99.9% intelligent and the Blacks - 99.8% The difference would be negligible in the real world. The current success of certain parts of the world over others is cause more by cultural and historical juncture than intelligence.

Where your logic fails is that there are hundreds of shades of skin (if skin color means anything) and some of the Mongoloid countries are among the least developed countries in the world. Lets take Cambodia, Burma, Mongolia, etc... North Korea... wow... according to your logic Asians must be really dumb! :D
infinitetolerance Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012
"according to your logic"

My logic? Quote me.
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You know why they're smarter? They don't be bombed out of their heads.
Funny how a drug free mind outperforms the average stoner.
I was high throughout high school and made principal's list every single year, it actually allowed me to relax at home because honor's and AP classes can be very stressful
Add a Comment: