Reproductive Rights, Penis Edition

Recently in Wisconsin, a judge forbade a man from having children as a condition of his probation. See, the guy already has nine children, and was in fact jailed because his child support payments and associated interest have exceeded a hundred grand.

I was surprised at some of the commentary here; people I was speaking to felt it was an unconscionable breach of the man's right to reproduce. The Wisconsin Supreme Court has in the past found similar rulings constitutional on the grounds that these men are still allowed to procreate provided they pay the associated costs.

Considering he has not been ordered to undergo any treatments to forcibly prevent him from having children, I'm prepared t think this is fine, but I'm curious what you guys think.

[link]
Comments371
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
In extreme cases, sentences that go against a community's recognized rights isn't all together uncommon. Criminals convicted of violent crimes are stripped of their right to carry/own weapons, pedophiles are forbidden from entering public places that are considered family/children-oriented, cyber criminals are forbidden from access to technology, etc.

It isn't a sentence that should be handed out to every deadbeat that ends up in family court, but in some cases I would definitely support it, as well as sterilization in extreme cases. It also should not be limited to men. There are some women who are just as bad as Curtis (if not worse).
thats fucked man, the gov cant control a man's junk
i really like you
View all replies
its fine, his right was taken from him after being convicted of a crime, the rights taken were in the scope of the crime. "Having kids and not paying for them."

He abused his "right", and then it was taken away from him after being found guilty in a court of law. Please note the distinction of court of law.

That said, instead of a judicial order, I would like it more if this was the finding of a jury.
if a right can be abused, is it really a right? or just a privilege?
yes.

Rights have natural limits.

Mainly when they impose on the rights of others.

Absolutism is the hallmark of authoritarianism, and by nature, designed to remove rights in general, not grant them.
should we give women a hysterectomy for having welfare babies?
What's a "welfare baby" ?
having a baby to get more welfare money
No, and the comparison is inaccurate, since Mr. Corey has simply agreed not to have kids. No surgery required.

If the court had ordered a vasectomy, you might have a cogent comparison.
dude the gov can keep their hands off my parts
if i get a girl pregnant i should have a right to force her to get an abortion if i dont want the baby. she should only be allowed to have the baby if we both agree, otherwise it gets aborted.
I'm going to pretend that's a satire of something, and not just mindboggling stupidity.
hey man just because my sperm is growing in a girls womb, doesn't mean that it's not still my sperm, i am still the rightful owner of that sperm and i am in charge of what happens to it, if i don't want my sperm growing into a baby, then it is my right as a sperm bearing man to put a stop to it, amen.
Of course, it's her ovaries and her egg. She'd be undergoing the medical procedure.

I'm sticking with "mindboggling stupidity".
yeah im just fucking with you dude don't worry
You've completely convinced me.
There's probably a way of temporarily preventing him from impregnating even more women, isn't there? I think it would be fine to enforce that, seeing as any other options I can think of wouldn't really be realistic. Especially if he has any sort of mental problem that might be causing this.

One thing I don't get though is why everyone is calling the mothers of his children stupid. How were they supposed to know about the child support thing? Just because they had his children doesn't mean he told them about it. the only cases I don't understand it is in the one(s) with multiple children, unless they had multiple children in one pregnancy. If they already knew about it, though, then yes, they are idiots.
Actually, they should've put him in a prison workstudy.