Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 7, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 126

Why doesn't the US cut the military budget?

:iconeldynamite:
ElDynamite Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well, the US takes up about 41% of worldwide military spending, and China, the next biggest spender, takes up about 8%. Then Russia takes 4%.
We spend more than the next ten countries combined.

Instead of raising taxes and cutting other programs... why doesn't the US simply cut spending on what it's already spending too much on?

The way I see it, it's like looking for ice cream... do you want to buy the 4$/quart or the 16$/quart one? Unless you're rich enough to not care for the difference, which the US is clearly not, why pay more?
-

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconheaven-spawn:
heaven-spawn Dec 23, 2012
because the usa is paranoid
:iconangelxxuan:
angelxxuan Dec 20, 2012  Professional Writer
yeah, the government doesn't need a few million dollar plane fleet every year this I cannot argue with, but they will hopefully not cut the pay to the soldiers. they don't make enough as it is and when they get wounded that's cut in half to none at all. a few million for a bomb or two isn't really needed, at least not in this term since there really isn't much being done, except flying around unarmed drones to spy and take live feeds which shows the truth of the matter.
:iconwebnatu:
webnatu Dec 12, 2012  Professional General Artist
Because North Korea just launched a rocket.

As a Canadian I don't know some how I sleep better at night knowing my neighbors at least are spending some money to defend against things like that. :P

At least I'm not paying the taxes for it lol
:iconsonrouge:
sonrouge Dec 11, 2012
Because the military is one of the proper services of the government and because, while spending on it is more than it needs to be, it wouldn't be enough to make a real difference.
:icon0rg:
BECAUSE WE MUST HELP ISRAEL FIGHT ITS GLORIOUS HOLY WAR IN EVERY WAY WE CAN
THEY ARE OUR GREATEST ALLY
FOR SOME REASON
:iconnightchildmoonchild:
nightchildmoonchild Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Not to mention that economically speaking, the amount of tax money placed into the military is the highest percentage of the government's spending of tax dollars in the United States. Directly following that is welfare, but that's not the point.
:iconcrotale:
Not true. Both Social Security and Medicare each take up more of the pie than defense.
:iconnightchildmoonchild:
nightchildmoonchild Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I just looked it up, and you are right. Sorry about that
:iconcrotale:
No worries.
:iconstoneman123:
stoneman123 Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
We are faced with a tremendous threat in the Muslim hordes. To cut military spending now would have dire consequences. I did the math, once, and found that about 4,000 U.S. soldiers have died in our ongoing conflict in Afghanistan, approximately 1/14th the death toll of the Vietnam War. We spend so much on the military so we can have nice things like armored humvees, stealth planes, and bomb-diffusing robots, that help bring our troops back home alive. If we cut too many corners on our military spending, our wars will become much more dangerous for our soldiers, which is not a decision to make lightly.
Add a Comment: