Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 6, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 33

Roma enter Mexico to illegally enter the USA to get to.........Canada!

:iconebolabears:
EbolaBears Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
DERBY LINE, Vermont (AP) A minivan with California license plates and a dozen passengers zipped across the border between Vermont and Quebec in October, heading north in a southbound lane unblocked by traffic.

You wouldn't be bad if you thought it was Mexicans.

The Roma are descendants of nomads who moved out of what is now India 800 years ago. They speak a distinct language, a variation of Hindi. They have faced centuries of oppression in Europe that many advocates and some countries, like Canada say continues today. They have been forcibly resettled through the ages and were put in concentration camps during World War II.

More than 1 million Roma are believed to be living in Romania, a country of about 22 million. There is widespread prejudice against Roma, who are often unemployed and lack formal education because they do not always send their children to school. Because of poverty and prejudice, Roma often travel to Italy, Spain, France and Britain, where they beg, busk, live off welfare benefits or get involved in petty crime, according to authorities in those countries.

So.....if the Jews got handed a homeland after dubya-dubya-two...why didn't the Roma get their own lands?

Same for the Kurds. Why can't they have a homeland?
The Basque as well.

In 2010, 85 people crossed the border illegally at Stanstead, according to statistics from the Canada Border Services Agency. In 2011, that number rose to 168, and so far this year, it is 260.

Statistics from U.S. Customs and Border Protection show that 384 Romanians were apprehended along the Mexican border in fiscal year 2010, 575 in 2011 and 901 in 2012. U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials have noticed the spike.

Does this trend require that the new immigration reforms we're expecting to address this type of migration?

The appeal of the border crossing between Derby Line and Stanstead, as opposed to other points along the long border with Canada, is apparent.

The two towns are separate only in name and country otherwise, they are essentially one community. The border runs through yards and buildings. Until recently, people could freely walk across quiet residential streets to visit neighbors in another country.

Since Sept. 11, many of those streets have been blocked off and residents required to pass through border posts.

An unseen tragedy of 9-11. That sucks the community had to be split up.
The old days sounded nice.

There are a lot of areas like that between States...but areas where residential American and Canadien neighborhoods are connected are probably rare.

Link:
[link]

Also, for my secret admirer/stalker: :bomb:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Because the Roma, Basque or Kurds do not have a Magical Book that says everyone has to pander to their needs, or the Big Sky-daddy gets angry.

Obv.
EbolaBears Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
Oh.:P
:iconscnal:
Scnal Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Obviously the best solution is to just have a strip of land going straight through the US that's owned by no one and used just for immigrants to get to Canada.
EbolaBears Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
Please make that strip go through the bible belt, New Jersey, and Detroit.
:iconscnal:
Scnal Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Better yet, just turn all of the US into a no man's land illegal immigrant heaven.
Road Warrior!:headbang:
:iconrockstar1009:
rockstar1009 Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Why not the Aussie aboriginals? Or the Maori? Sami? Or the Bretons? Or the Circassians? Or Chechnyans? We should give the Amish their homeland while we're at it. As well as Coptics, Neopagans and Zoroastrians. Then unwed pregnant teenage mothers and MtF trans*. But definitely not white male protestant cis-scum. Everyone gets their own nation! :la:

:iconallthethingsplz:
EbolaBears Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
Don't forget the arch enemy nations of the post and pre op tanies.
:iconfzang:
Fzang Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist
Do people really need a country with their name tag on, in order to settle down and start working for the society they leech off?
:iconzingam:
Zingam Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
The Roma have their own land and it is called India.
Not really.
If not really, then Canada will make a great homeland for the 20+ million Romas. :)
:iconzcochrane:
ZCochrane Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
That's at least three different issues in one thread, perhaps more.

1.) Treatment of Roma in Europe. That is still horrible, and this is an issue that's too often ignored by politicians. We should do more there.

2.) "Homelands" for Kurds, Basque and Roma are three completely different issues. The first two groups have large areas where they are living and have been living for centuries. Meanwhile, I'm not aware of any large areas where Roma are or were the majority. They were always a persecuted minority. Finally, Basque and Kurds have very different situations, too, because of the different political situations. France and Spain are stable democracies. Basque independence through democratic means is actually a realistic idea there (which raises the question of how urgently they actually want it). Turkey is nowhere near the same level when it comes to human rights, and Iraq and other countries with large kurd populations are even worse.

3.) Migration to the US to get to Canada. Personally, I don't think this will ever be a major issue.

4.) Border controls ripping apart communities. I don't understand why there are any border controls and the like between the US and Canada at all. We got rid of border controls in most of Europe, and it has made everyone's life a lot easier. I live in a border town, and as a result, I can go shopping in a foreign country whenever there's an official holiday in mine (or when I simply feel like buying stuff that's not available here). It's about a ten-minute drive, and I can even use a city bus that crosses the border. Does that raise my personal risk of being killed by a terrorist? Maybe a very tiny bit. But it also makes my life much easier and more pleasant, so I'm willing to accept that risk.
Yeah, do more! We'll gladly send all our 2 million Romas to Germany. I guess the Hungarians would also be happy to send theirs to Germany too, also Slovakia etc.
And then I want German TV to stop speaking about my nationality when they show Romas in Germany, who are involved (because that's what they all do there and everywhere) in criminal deeds like drug smuggling, prostitution, stealing, pickpocketing, etc.
Take all Romas and treat them well!!!

I really hate when people defend the Romas but have no clue about what Romas really are.
I just looked at your profile, and I have to say, I'm surprised. I would never have expected 2 million Roma in Antarctica. You learn something new every day.
Manche Sachen sind nicht genau das, was sie auf dem ersten Blick erscheinen. ;)
(I'll keep this English so others can reply as well)

Of course crime rates among Roma are much higher than for the majority population. That is not in doubt. But that isn't because they are all horrible people; it's because there aren't a lot of other options, given the low average education. The low average education won't change unless people invest more money in Roma communities. Social problems aren't a fact of life; they have deeper causes, and it can pay off to address them.

Shifting people to another country is just about the opposite of addressing the problem, though.
Man, you have no idea! Romas are the way they are because the CHOOSE that life style it serves them very well and they make fun of Romas who pay taxes, bills or go to work.
I live in a Roma country and I know that very well. Romas may be very lazy, very uneducated but they know very well how to use the system to work for them. They maybe "uneducated" but they are quite cunning.

Romas are also very racist ;)

If you give the Romas money the only result will be they'll have even more children.

Here is not the place to explain the whole story, neither do I want to do that.

The average Roma girl gets merried at 13-14. Until they are 18 they have at least 2 children. At 26-27 some are already grandmothers. And most of them live on wellfare (like 90%).

And how do you intend to change them? By creating concentration camps and forcing them to educate themselves, get qualifications and start honest work? Or you will sterilize them after the first child? Or maybe you'll take all of their children and put them into special schools until they are at least 18? Well, German people have experience with that. Maybe all of Europe can send the Romas to Germany :D You fix them and then send them back. ;)

I think than most people in the West are way to naive about certain people and societies. I would say that the Romans are not a nation (they aren't), they are not even an ethnicity... they are a culture. If you want to change them, you have to destroy that culture.

So at one hand you have a culture that is completely ignorant and disrespectful of law, order, education and Western modern values (which are law, order, education, and honest work) and then you have a modern democratic society that is abused by that culture. So how do you solve such problem, hm? You suggest: pay more money! :D Now, I'd say: that never works! :D So try again?!
I'd say attitudes like that are actually a big part of the problem. But I don't think debating this will lead anywhere useful.
Yes, you are right. It won't.

I suggest that if you want to have real opinion about somebody that you try to really learn and understand him before having any ideas.

How many Romas have you known in your life?

I have had Roma Mitschuler in 4th grade (they've dropped out... they've all repeated 4th grade 3 times and were 3 years older). In my apartment building we have had Roma families (that was part of government integration policy back than that miserably failed). They would piss in the lifts, they would bring horses in their apartments. I've served in the military with Romas and I have worked/dealt with Romas on a few occasions. So I have a little personal experience and observations in my life.
Roma Penguins
That's now racist ;)
:iconisayplz:
:iconsvenler:
Svenler Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Professional Photographer
"Treatment of Roma in Europe. That is still horrible, and this is an issue that's too often ignored by politicians. We should do more there."

Just do more yourself instead of hiding behind a "we should".
:iconprincess-amy:
Princess-Amy Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
The basque might get their own country soon, see how things play out in spain!
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
Because the Roma were not caucasoids with an abrahamic religion? Like we should take over India and stuff them all back there.

But on a serious not, many Roma probably identify more withe being Roma or Romanian/Swiss/where ever they are than with their ancestral homeland. I have never heard of a serious Roma movement to find a homeland.

The Basque and Kurds? I think it's because they're not white enough. It sounds racist, but I think most Americans, British and French, major world powers at the time, found more to relate with European and American Jews, than with the Basque or the Spanish in general. When we speak of the Basque, it's almost as if it's none of our business.
That has nothing to do with race. Jews have money and influence, powerful lobbies everywhere that's why they got Palestine handed to them.
:iconouroboroscobra:
OuroborosCobra Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
Same for the Kurds. Why can't they have a homeland?
The Basque as well.

Woodrow Wilson apparently didn't like them.
OuroborosCobra Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
So.....if the Jews got handed a homeland after dubya-dubya-two...why didn't the Roma get their own lands?

Probably because the Jews did not get handed a homeland after World War II.
EbolaBears Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
Then how did they come to own former Ottoman Empire lands?
OuroborosCobra Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
How did Eritrea come to own Ethiopian land?
You confuse events and make them one big event.
OuroborosCobra Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
No, I'm not. Actually, that's what you are doing. You are treating something (the creation of Israel) as one single event, some mythical "handed to the Jews." That is not what happened.
Add a Comment: