December 6, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 174

Subway Death Causes Controversy

:iconcreativity-squared:
Creativity-Squared Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Student General Artist
[link] [link] [link]

A couple of days ago, a man was hit and killed by a subway train in New York City after a man pushed him onto the tracks. A freelance photographer on the scene at the time decided to take photographs of this instead of making an attempt to help the man. He sold the photos to the New York Post, and they ran one of the photos with the caption: "Pushed on the subway track, this man is about to die: DOOMED."

Do you think the photographer, and the New York Post, reacted to this situation in a moral way? What should be done?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconheaven-spawn:
heaven-spawn Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
the photographer acted in the way that would make him the most money
:iconalevan:
Alevan Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
This was a tough one.

At one hand, a part of me was screaming, "WHY ARE YOU STANDING THERE!? HELP HIM UP! HIS HAND IS RIGHT THERE!" I was disgusted and outraged not a single person, the photographer or anyone there was helping him back on the tracks. The whole thing could have been prevented had people been good Samaritans and helped him right back on the platform.

... on the OTHER hand, I was never put in a situation where someone was pushed onto a train with a train coming on the tracks. It is something you don't see every day. You go into a sense of shock and not believing what your seeing. These things happen.

But... the one taking the photograph and then had it on the doom picture? That isn't a man in shock and he could have put the camera down and helped. Pictures like that with such a caption is the kind you see on 4chan or other dark humor websites. The New York Post? Not exactly where I'd see it.

Shame on you, is what I say to them.
:iconscythepuppet:
scythepuppet Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
One does wonder about the absences of fences or walls or anything to keep people from falling in. I know they've got them in Beijing, but I suppose it's possible there are other problems associated with stationary doors.

Mysterious.
:iconscythepuppet:
scythepuppet Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Fun fact: I accidentally lit myself on fire in 2006, and my first thought was "I should take a picture of this, it would be hilarious." As my sleeve was on fire.

My point is, not everyone handles surprises well and their instincts in an emergency are not always ideal.
:iconkitsumekat:
kitsumekat Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
Oh wow. This thread reminds me of why having hope in humanity is stupid.
:iconendeavor-to-freefall:
Legality and morality are two different things, he's not obligated to do anything. It may well be immoral to not try and save the guy but sometimes morality is stupid.
:iconmeanus:
meanus Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
why hasnt' the asshole who did the pushing been charged with a hate crime?
:icondefense2:
defense2 Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
You have a train some 50-30 feet away... Can you reasonably reach down three feet, pull a hundred and sixty pound man who is panicked up from that?

You have seconds to act.

Answer is most of us do not have the cartoon character strength to reach down and lift that kind of panicked weight.

Instead both you and the trapped man will die.

So the photographer tried in vain to warn the train operator with the flash on the camera. It is very likely the operator never saw the flash as it wouldn't overpower the stations lights to begin with.
:iconvisionoftheworld:
VISIONOFTHEWORLD Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
BULLSHIT. The photographer was not warning anybody, he SOLD THE PICTURES he was taking. If he was warning the train he would have been yelling not taking pictures. And his pictures would not have turned out well enough to be published if he was warning the train with it.
A 160 pound man is nothing. Haven't you sstood in a subway tunnel? The train being that far away is plenty of time that I could pull a man up high enoughto get him out of harm. It would only take a second or two, it's not that hard. Pulling a person out of harms way should NEVER be explained to be too hard. You insult the hundreds of people who perform these acts in the face of great danger. To rescue a person we haven't met is one of the things that makes human. To stand and decide we don't have the time or strength is dispicable. And you just easily accepting that lame explanation as valid is even worse.
:iconstaple-salad:
staple-salad Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
A person panicking is very dangerous. If he were cooperative and sound, that would be one thing, but when someone's panicking it's more likely that a would be rescuer would have ended up on the train tracks with him rather than saving him. Especially since gravity would have been on his side.
Add a Comment: