Closed to new replies
December 5, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 44

Interpretation

:icondezenerate:
Dezenerate Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
I'm not sure whether this is more for the Art forum but it involves political thoughts so I'll post it here.

This was recently given a DD.

Breaking Barriers
by =tanikel (in case the thumb doesn't work)

Now, as art goes, everything is up to interpretation, from both the title and the content of the picture. And I'm curious; what thoughts does this provoke when you view it? Do you see it as fellow man coming together peacefully? A symbol of hope that things can work out? Or do you see it in a different light, that this shows that war is happening unnecessarily in this land? That this is showing them as equals, when it shouldn't be?

Some thought into this will be appreciated, but if you feel more inclined, you can comment on the deviation itself. :p

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
thats actually a pretty good photo.
nice photo
:iconcouchycreature:
CouchyCreature Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
time for more absinthe me thinks.

It could just be an officer talking to his local snitch. Nobody knows what they were saying and the image is definitely open to interpretation in any direction except by the two people involved in the conversation. It is a US Army photograph after all, so very likely to being used as propaganda.
"It could just be an officer talking to his local snitch."
unlikely. thats an NCO. a command sergeant major by the description, but, I cannot make out the full insignia, I can make out sergeant stripes and bottom rockers. Chances are he wouldn't even know a word this man has to say.

"It is a US Army photograph after all, so very likely to being used as propaganda."

well, yeah.
:iconcouchycreature:
CouchyCreature Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
yes, you are probably right :) I claim no knowledge of military insignia or rank and the description does say command sergeant major, and I know my sergeant major from my captains ...not!! Nor do I have any idea whether such a one would be talking to a 'snitch' but but I guess you get my drift that it could be far from just a casual friendly chat with a local.
"It could just be an officer talking to his local snitch."
unlikely.

I cannot make out the amount of bottom rockers, but thats a senior NCO, a CSM(command seargant major), as in the senior enlisted man of a battalion or larger size formation.

Unlikely he knew a damn word the afgan was saying, without the aid of a translator.
:iconophiocordyceps:
Ophiocordyceps Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
It doesn't really show them as equals, judging from the body language and what they're wearing/holding. The older man's body language is cautious, as you can see from the knees pulled to his chest and arms crossed over them to create a barrier, and the fact that he turns his head to talk to the soldier instead of his entire body, which makes him less of a target of harm. I can infer that he uses his arms and legs as protection when the soldier has a helmet and heavy boots and padding and gloves and a big ass gun. That is probably the reason for the soldier's body language, as well, which is more relaxed than the older man's, with his feet apart and knees away from his torso and arms slung over his legs with no care. Since the soldier also doesn't face the other man completely, he probably doesn't trust him either, even though he has no weapon or protection other than his clothes and limbs.

The artist calls this 'Breaking Barrier's' when the older man makes a barrier with his arms and legs and the soldier is wearing protective clothing and holding a gun? I think the name is ironic at best.
:iconpoopgoblyn:
Poopgoblyn Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
I see the intent: to make people feel warm and fuzzy.
I also see the truth: wary soldiers, a wary population that has to rely on those soldiers for safety.
:iconno-doves-fly-here:
no-doves-fly-here Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
Also notice the sexual nature in which the soldier is stroking his 'gun'. What a deviant.
:iconebolabearvomit:
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
Indeed
Add a Comment: