Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 5, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 33

Have we got to the point where its impossible to trust any elected official?

:icondannimondesigns:
DannimonDesigns Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
From your local municipal councilman to the President of the United States. In some form or another, they have some association with corruption. You read about it every day in the newspapers and on the internet, you hear about it through broadcast media, there is just no escape from it. Everywhere you turn there is another corrupt politician doing something to screw the people who elected them.

Honestly I dont think a single elected official has the capability to be honest. It must be some law someplace where if you become a politician or associated with politics you HAVE to be corrupt and not listen to the people who elected you and instead pander to corporations, lobbyists and whatever that isnt the people. its so bad that where I live, Chicago, IL USA people are not only used to corrupt politicians but we even celebrate them as heroes. These people are not heroes, they are criminals. Thats like saying our greatest hero is Adolf Hitler or Osama Bin laden.

Do you all think its impossible to trust any elected official? Personally I have given up all hope. I think the 2012 election will be the last one I will ever vote in.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconghostinthepines:
GhostInThePines Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
:eyepopping: Wait!... You mean there are still people in this world who actually trust politicians and other elected officials? :eyepopping:
:iconnovuso:
Novuso Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
As bad as elected officials are the vast unelected bureaucracy behind the government is even worse. Just look at how bad Karl Rove and Donald Rumsfeld were during the Bush era. Who can forget the Cynthia McKinney hearing [link] that exposed the blatant fascism and war crimes of the bureaucracy. Under Obama we have Eric Holder committing outright treason with Fast and Furious. Timothy Geitner has been in the pocket of Wall Street and was pretty much hand picked from the board of Goldman Sachs. Geitner and his cronies are being sued for $43 trillion dollars. [link]

Bottom line is don't trust anyone involved with the government and support only a minimalist state power. Liberty and unalienable rights is only way to fight this type of murderous corruption.
:iconpassing37:
passing37 Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
Politicians lie, it's what they do.
:iconabcat:
AbCat Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012   Writer
Let's put it another way: Have we ever been at a point where it was possible to trust any elected official?
:iconabcat:
AbCat Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012   Writer
And 'trust' is a dirty word anyway. Shouldn't have to trust anyone.
DannimonDesigns Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
[link] I like this idea...
:icongenstian:
genstian Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional Artist
Yes. Since I was 6 and portrait myself as a corrupt dictator, I realized that no people have other people in their best intrest, but rather if they have the power to enrich themselves, they'll do it. In any country, so long that power exist, the people motivated by the wish to enrich themselves will want it more. Hench no elected official will ever be fit to rule any other, or rather, no human being will ever be fit to rule any other human being. Take a few hours, and read history, this is universal. And it will never ever change. No human should have the ability to get such power.
:iconpsyopjunkie:
psyopjunkie Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
i think the solution would be to rename pedophiles as enemy combatants and to torture them. many corrupt politicians are also pedophiles. by having a medieval styled pedophile inquisition this would clean up politics. when politicians see that people like burning them they will think again about becoming corrupt.
:icondebit:
Debit Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
If the level of distrust were quite high, then we should be seeing trends like higher black market activities (e.g., distrust over taxation and official currency), growing rank and file of underpaid public sector workers, bribery becoming the norm whenever you need to get something through government bureaucracy, looser control over government-owned assets (e.g. 'misplaced' inventories in military bases), and so on.
genstian Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional Artist
Ow, but we do. Most people don't liek being taxed (stolen from), they just don't talk to high about it since it might get them into trouble. And the last couple of years the amount of trade in bounds or valuable resources like gold, silver and platinum have exploded. We don't tend to see a gradually drop in the currencies. At some point, the US might refuse to pay it's debt, and you see the big drop over night. But most people agree that it will hold for a few more years. Same goes for the euro, it will hold until Germany withdraws. Public workers complain every year about something. Lobbyism is the norm, haven't you noticed what a few millions might get you? Using your contacts, or even giving a buck under the table for a faster processing is not uncommon in most of the world. Mostly due to bureaucracy being annoyingly ineffective.

Running away with government asserts is still high risk, and for miltary supplies, I believe thats treason. It's simply not worth the risk. Grabbing some cheap property from the government works way better. Most public works have no problem taking office supplies, but it's not something we normally care, or do much statistics with anyway, it's a measly few cents.
:icondebit:
Debit Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
What happens to government-owned assets would be the key breaking point. This indicates how much power people perceive from their own government.

Interestingly, I once read that a public sector worker might cope better than his private sector counterpart in a collapse scenario. Much of modern private sector operates on the basis of just-in-time inventory. This is very efficient when the market is behaving the way it should, but could become catastrophic once commerce is disrupted. Once money is no longer honored, you must barter to get something going, which requires having access to inventory and capital goods.
genstian Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Professional Artist
I did read a article some time ago, the government got plenty of asserts they are just sitting on (not in use). It could be sold to pay down a huge chunk of the debt. While reducing potential maintenance and administrative costs.

One thing that really shows the trust in the US economy is the global investment level, From Router (): "But the United States attracted just about 17 percent of global investment in 2009, down sharply from over 41 percent in 1999, McLernon said, citing another OFII study in October.

With unemployment still above 8 percent, the study drives home what the United States is losing out on, she added."

Last I heard (From John Stossel, Fox buisness I believe), it was still in decline.

Yes, a public worker might. Because private sector pack and go, while public sector sorta continue to run, but with eventually with zero funding. Thats what we see in say, Greece. You still got a job, your paycheck is just three months late, but it's better than having no job.
:icontwilite-kiss:
twilite-kiss Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
-you know,i voted obama.it was really a worse of two evils thing.the problem is this; president obama wants to better,the congress doesn't.because I actually know how the checks and balnces system and the US government in general works unlike your average ignorant american,i know the congress is the problem.they blow presidential elections out of prportion so we ignore the congressional office,its genius really.besides,most people don't wanna do all that reasearch,check parties,congressional history,history of politicians,etc.too much work,so do the easy president thing
:iconfisherella:
Fisherella Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional General Artist
Yes, we're there now. I didn't even vote in this election. There was no one to vote for.
:iconenuocale:
EnuoCale Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
The nature of people's biological desire to submit to the most big and aggressive, manipulative personality who says things the simplest necessitates that leaders will rarely be the best people, or even that good of them. Even dictators need public support or at least fear to get power usually, and democracy is not that different of a concept.

The irony is that for it to change, "good™" people would have to learn how to do those things without stopping being good. Which is rare.
:iconcreamstar:
Creamstar Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
No more corporate campaign donations. No more revolving doors. Ban politicians from joining lobbyists groups within 5 years after they leave office. The people need to hold them accountable again and take that power away from those with the most wealth.
:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I think we never did trust the government, I'm sure 200 or so years ago they were worse. I think, while people think they're terrible, and corrupt, and some, or the majority are. We are much better off than 200 years ago, or, heck, 50 years ago. I think we have to keep pushing and focusing on boundries, as long as people aren't happy things must change. Or, at least my positive hopeful persona wishes to believe this.
:iconfisherella:
Fisherella Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional General Artist
Um, we were a lot better off 50 years ago.
:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Thats what I said.....
:iconmaddmatt:
maddmatt Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
Exactly why we should be making government as small and unobtrusive as possible and get back to its basics of providing for the common defense. The idea that government solves what people are too untrustworthy or incapable of doing with their own partnerships is what creates this thousands of years cycle of government domination that liberals seem bent on repeating.
:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
sounds good
What you are advocating is a Military-style dictatorship. Which is the most corrupt form of government.
:iconno-doves-fly-here:
no-doves-fly-here Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
I think what ~maddmatt is saying is that the only laws we need are those which protect our right to be free from coercion and aggression.

A military state generally requires a radically centralized, officious government. A libertarian military would be more open to democratic decisions and transparency. Without a boisterous government ready to spew propaganda on a whim the people would be more likely to abstain from war abroad.
:iconmaddmatt:
maddmatt Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
Nope. It is the opposite. The government serves the people...not lord over them as is the liberal dream.
:iconskulkey:
skulkey Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
part of it is a result of the scope of governance. you tend to never see politicians on a regular basis, so you can't exactly catch them in the middle of something shady, and they don't have to look you personally in the face every time they lie. if you reduce the scope to the community level you might start to see a difference. but as ~Svenler pointed out, you also need to limit their ability to do favors. there's other things you could throw into the mix, but as long as we have a relatively apathetic populace nothing is going to change.
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
Not really. Its gotten to the point where you can't trust an elected congress, however.
:iconcouchycreature:
CouchyCreature Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
My father and grandfather both tell me "it doesn't matter who you vote for, you always end up with a politician". It doesn't matter where you live, politicians are all the same - self-serving, and not really giving a shit for anything but keeping their cushy jobs with all the perks that come with them. They are us.
:icondeshrubber:
deshrubber Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
No, if a politician was truthfully about everything they would never be elected.
:iconsvenler:
Svenler Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional Photographer
If you want to limit political corruption, limit the power of politicians to do favors.
:iconskulkey:
skulkey Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
that's a start.
I dont think thats going to be good enough. ^^;
:iconsvenler:
Svenler Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional Photographer
What else is needed?
:iconpoopgoblyn:
Poopgoblyn Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
We've been there for 50 years now. No one wants to do shit about it. So who cares. Until the system falls apart no one is going to bother to do anything. That's the modern American way. Status quo, as long as I am comfortable today, who gives a shit about what will happen tomorrow.
Add a Comment: