Animal Testing? Is It CRUEL or the way FORWARD?

Many enjoy the company of cute animals as pets and friends since most give you comfort and ease but some are used to make daily necesities that make us look good, medicine to help our families in their time of need.

The qeustion is what is your opinion? Do you stand for the feelings of animals? Or support animal testing? Please talk on in paragraphs your opinion is important.
Comments160
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
You are raising a very important and real point that people over look.
Where do you draw the line? Is it a miracle cure? or animal cruelty.

Sad but true, humans are disgusting by the fact that we do horrible acts in full conscious capacity. :(

My position I hate it. But if that lab test saves my little girl's life I'm for it.

This is a horrible assumption. More horrible so due to the fact that I know I'm using an innocent life in order to save one of my own. More disgusted knowing that I might take even more than one in the process.

But, unfortunately I happen to be human, unfair and immoral by nature :(

Does been human justify this cruel acts? NO by no means, and I hope some day something can raise up and fight us back, we kind off deserve it by now.
I'm curious how many great treatments they've found accidentally, FOR animals, testing products that were originally meant for humans?

no-one ever talks about that.

Though that by no means is a reason to test on animals, but the overall goal IS so that we see positive results in these test subjects.

I am vehemently for animal rights, but I mean, if they can cure cancer in cats by not humans, and you have enough money and love your pets very much, it benefits future generations of cats as well.

however the comments above are purely speculation without actual research. I hope not but there is a possibility that said cures they find for animals that aren't useful in humans are thrown out altogether and not even used in animals.

that is/would be sad, and if that is the case I'm against it because that's what makes it cruel.

needless to say though I still think the whole thing is cruel regardless, and as soon as we find viable alternatives switch to those immediately.
the answer is that it is both CRUEL and the way FORWARD
tough question. I have to say it is the way forward. We are lucky that rats and mice mimic humans in their biology so well because they reproduce and age much quicker and we can see results or consequences faster in them then in most other animals. It would take many generations to do the same thing testing humans, and it would be a much smaller sample of test subjects.

This is just in relation to testing human made products on animals. Or testing procedures on them.

As much as I feel really bad for the animals, we would not have the medical or biochemical knowledge we have today if not for testing. I may think it gross and sometimes cruel, but I know that if I were to go into a biological field (which I very well might, I am very interested biochemistry and biotechnology), I would not hesitate to test animals (however i would not test primates, or other endangered animals unless we were trying to find out how to help them and not us).
I'd rather sacrifice a few animals to save thousands of HUMAN lives.
As there is no practicable method of acquiring large numbers of disposable human test subjects, lesser animals are the closest approximation, and completely indisposable for medical and cosmetic research. The suffering of these animals is of no consequence to us, and by using them as test subjects, we benefit from advances in medical science and ensuring medicine and cosmetics are safe to use. Any person who does not support animal testing is allowing their emotions to cloud their judgement, as they would sacrifice advances in medical science for the wellbeing of animals, which cannot affect them in any way.
Good. Cold practicality is good it does not sway in the sometimes threat of emotion but I guess there is always the way to reduce the pain and suffering of every animal since it is in our capable grasp
Why would you want to reduce the pain and suffering of animals? It is of no consequence to us. As a human, I'm only concerned with the general wellbeing of humans, and see no reason to concern myself with other animals, unless they are of some use to us.
Well we must not act rutheless to other species if they were in our place I would not wish ruthelessness to my own. Above all else these creatures have given us their lives for our happiness the least we can do is lessen or numb their pain.
The least we could do is nothing at all. There is no need to lessen or numb their pain. Their suffering cannot affect us in the slightest, and what you're suggesting is nothing but a waste of anasthetics.
Well, this is a eat-or-be-eaten world. I think it's justified to do animal testing, but for the safety of the species, which indirectly leads to our own safety, we shouldn't be wiping out species.
Animal testing is an unnecessary evil, but it does help us. I don't condone animal cruelty though, that should be minimized.
The circle of life goes on. An animals kills another to sustain its companions, the testing of animals is the same thing but a more industrial slaughter. I guess we can subdue it but at what cost?
I don't think it's necessary to subdue it. If animal testing helps us as a species, I'm all for it. We should just be careful not to wipe out species and destroy the environment in the process.
Words of the wise :) Preservation is they way forward
Though let me add the fact that testing on humans would probably be more affective.
True but scientists test on our closer animal relatives like Chimpanzees as an alternative to testing people
It really depends on what they are testing for. If it is make-up: no. If it is important life-saving medication: yes.
Depends on what they're testing. My opinion on animal testing is completely different when it comes to medicine than when it comes to cosmetics (not sure of any other major examples).
With medicine, I'm for it, especially if it's for something major or something that doesn't yet have a cure. However, I'm not sure about any kind of medicine for smaller, everyday sicknesses, like a cold or the flu. I think that for those there should be more than one product on the market, but having 52 different ones just sounds like overkill. Sure, if you're allergic to one kind, then you should be able to get something that will make you less miserable. However, in most cases, a cold won't kill you. Although you might be pretty miserable, a bit of extra vitamin C is usually all you need.
With cosmetics, I'm against it, and I think things like that should be tested on humans. Most people wouldn't like having things like shampoo squirted into their eye, and it's more than just cruel to do it to something that can't really defend itself. If it might make someone's eyes bleed, then REPLACE THE FUCKING CHEMICALS WITH SOMETHING THAT WON'T.
You might want to eliminate meat consumption altogether...

While I do have a side for the animals' feelings, I think that if positive human feelings are present, go forward. Animal testing has taken us very far, from vaccines and antidotes to testing new medicines before ready on humans. And most of the conditions that the animals meet aren't cruel, they sedate them before doing operations and cetera. Humans would be terrible primary test subjects. I can just picture the news reporting someone died after being tested on medical grounds.
Meat consumption is, at least for me, something different. Although the animals on farms are horribly treated, wild animals have to be killed, from what I've heard. If some animals hadn't gone extinct in some areas, it wouldn't be a problem, but when natural predators die out, their prey can freely grow as they want. On top of that, non-indigenous species can do the same because of the lack of natural predators. In turn, they can kill out other animals by robbing them of things like food, or cause things like soil erosion.

When it comes to things like sedation, if the medicine industry is anything like what I've heard about the meat industry (at least in America), they probably still aren't being correctly handled. For instance, too small doses of sedatives might be used to save costs, so the animals are still conscious.
I've heard some rumors of animal torture and rights from KFC, but nothing more than that. Whether those rumors be true, medical treatment is FAR from that. Surely the animals are wounded to later receive experimental treatment, and maybe the sedatives applied aren't always enough, but it's far from those rumors. I'm talking about the treatment of mostly lab rats in Brasil, I haven't a clue how it works in the US.
Yes :) Your very wise and yes the consumption of meat is unecessarily cruel with all the plants around to eat.
Testing on rodents like rats (and there is a lot of them) is still cruel right? :noes: