Emails 'are' being read?

[link]

Your thoughts?

Even about Petreus, Didn't they get the e-mails 'after' the affair? If 'before' then, how did they have it if it's a private computer? Did they state anything online about an affair?
Comments46
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
If you don't want your email read, use secure email. (like PGP or S/MIME) Regular email is the equivalent of using a postcard with no envelope.
I personally don't mind the idea that my emails are being read. However I do not believe that I have the right to tell someone that they do not have the right to keep their emails private.
The FBI has no right to look through my personal computer or personal email with out some sort of warrant. It is scary to think about what else they are doing.
the fact you have "nothing to hide" does not for one second make it tolerable that your text messages or emails or anything else are being scrutinized by third parties. would be okay if all the mail you had delivered to your home was torn open and read? i sure as hell wouldnt.

i dont have a damn thing to hide either but guess what my private buisness is not subject to public viewing. my civil rights are not a buffet table to picked and chosen from as somone else sees fit regardless if im innocent and have nothing to hide.
Well said. If you don't want your little sister to read your secret diary, what makes the government think they should?
Good point.

Exactly. Not to mention misconstrued meanings could happen.
The whole Petraeus event started when she took some emails to the FBI and they started an investigation. [link] They didn't just randomly start reading emails from everybody they could find looking for somebody doing something skeezy.

Yeah, I wish I could care. I wish I could be outraged at the idea that a third party may be reading my stuff. But I'm not. I don't care. I have never cared, and never will care.

Just like I don't care that shopping centers are video taping me shop and my cell phone could be tapped and all that other crap.

What are they possibly going to find out in my case? Feeding instructions for my animals? Oh dear.

So what if I'm sending emails about toxic air or not liking this or that politician- again-why would they care? Unless you're high-powered, in which case you'd do well to keep your private communications actually private- person to person. Because ANYTHING can be monitored, not just email.

And communications don't get monitored unless they think you're up to something, anyway, do you know how expensive it would be to pay people to sit around and read every email ever sent?

Hell, Google TELLS you your emails are going to be read when you sign up- that's how they target the adds. Once you click 'Ok' you don't get to complain about that anymore.

And for that matter, I'd bet that every user agreement for every website could include 'your communication may be monitored' and people would STILL say 'ok' because they don't pay enough attention to read the stuff, anyway.

Since the second I started using the internet- and this was back in the day when you had to physically plug your computer into the phone line and dial the ISP yourself, and all two dozen web pages took at least three minutes to load- I always assumed I wasn't getting full privacy.
Wow.

Google really says that?
Yeah. It's in the terms and conditions. Primarily to target adds. It scans for keywords. Not just Google, either, Yahoo and other free email services and stuff do it, too. And it's right there in the TOS. The reason people don't know isn't because the company is hiding it, it's because they don't read before they click 'I agree'.

There's an article about it here: [link]
"Even about Petreus, Didn't they get the e-mails 'after' the affair? If 'before' then, how did they have it if it's a private computer? Did they state anything online about an affair?"

and that doesn't seem the least bit suspicious
It's still suspicious regardless.
I can’t think of anything I’ve ever emailed that the CIA or FBI would find alarming.
Not 'to'. It's about one emailing to another and a database of what was sent.
I have nothing to hide.
so you're okay with them reading it? or the companies they outsource this information to?

there used to be this thing called privacy ... i'm not sure if people remember ...
I guess I don’t care because I have nothing to hide. In the event that something is used against me, perhaps my perspective will change. But if I am plotting to blow up a bank and the FBI figures it out because they were monitoring my email, then chances are people will consider their surveillance justified.

My theory is, they’re not going to stop doing it, just because people don’t like it. I can’t stop them. So getting upset about it is pointless.

And the government abusing their authority is not new. Nor is the concept of them being all up in people’s business.
"I guess I don’t care because I have nothing to hide"

not yet. What happens when you get wronged by someone rich, famous, or powerful.

because this doesn't happen.
I’m sure it happens. But I have nothing of value. I have nothing they want. If I were rich or important, then I might be watching my ass.
they might be using you to get to someone else.

they might need you for a random "experiment" i.e. MK-ULTRA.

[link]

you might be breathing in otherwise toxic air from factories and want to complain about it.

you might get run over by a drunken politician.

you might be the random person who gets to be the scape goat.

Or at very least you have no feelings for the innocent people who will be hurt by this.
Paranoia is so disconcerting.
View all replies
"
My theory is, they’re not going to stop doing it, just because people don’t like it. I can’t stop them. So getting upset about it is pointless."

defeatism. i like it. the public schooling system is working!
Well since I graduated high school 20 years ago, that’s not really a fair conclusion. :lmao:

It is not defeatism. It is called having lived long enough to know which battles are worth fighting and which are likely to reap no rewards and only deplete energy. There is nothing admirable about being a rebel without a clue. Google Lenny Bruce for some clarification on the concept.

If I saw an obvious path of resistance against this injustice, which is at this point mere speculation, I would take it. If there was something I could vote on or a petition to sign (that would probably go ignored) I might consider it. But how would I go about fighting it? And why would I go out of my way to draw attention to myself when I haven’t done anything wrong and haven’t had my personal information used against me?