Link

Statistics

Replies: 45

Emails 'are' being read?

:icondrybonesreborn:
DryBonesReborn Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
[link]

Your thoughts?

Even about Petreus, Didn't they get the e-mails 'after' the affair? If 'before' then, how did they have it if it's a private computer? Did they state anything online about an affair?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhai-etlik:
Hai-Etlik Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
If you don't want your email read, use secure email. (like PGP or S/MIME) Regular email is the equivalent of using a postcard with no envelope.
:iconborogovelm:
BorogoveLM Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Student General Artist
I personally don't mind the idea that my emails are being read. However I do not believe that I have the right to tell someone that they do not have the right to keep their emails private.
:iconhatchedfromtree:
HatchedFromTree Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
The FBI has no right to look through my personal computer or personal email with out some sort of warrant. It is scary to think about what else they are doing.
DryBonesReborn Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Exactly!
:iconsexy-cowboy-predator:
Sexy-Cowboy-Predator Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
the fact you have "nothing to hide" does not for one second make it tolerable that your text messages or emails or anything else are being scrutinized by third parties. would be okay if all the mail you had delivered to your home was torn open and read? i sure as hell wouldnt.

i dont have a damn thing to hide either but guess what my private buisness is not subject to public viewing. my civil rights are not a buffet table to picked and chosen from as somone else sees fit regardless if im innocent and have nothing to hide.
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well said. If you don't want your little sister to read your secret diary, what makes the government think they should?
DryBonesReborn Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Good point.

Exactly. Not to mention misconstrued meanings could happen.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
The whole Petraeus event started when she took some emails to the FBI and they started an investigation. [link] They didn't just randomly start reading emails from everybody they could find looking for somebody doing something skeezy.

Yeah, I wish I could care. I wish I could be outraged at the idea that a third party may be reading my stuff. But I'm not. I don't care. I have never cared, and never will care.

Just like I don't care that shopping centers are video taping me shop and my cell phone could be tapped and all that other crap.

What are they possibly going to find out in my case? Feeding instructions for my animals? Oh dear.

So what if I'm sending emails about toxic air or not liking this or that politician- again-why would they care? Unless you're high-powered, in which case you'd do well to keep your private communications actually private- person to person. Because ANYTHING can be monitored, not just email.

And communications don't get monitored unless they think you're up to something, anyway, do you know how expensive it would be to pay people to sit around and read every email ever sent?

Hell, Google TELLS you your emails are going to be read when you sign up- that's how they target the adds. Once you click 'Ok' you don't get to complain about that anymore.

And for that matter, I'd bet that every user agreement for every website could include 'your communication may be monitored' and people would STILL say 'ok' because they don't pay enough attention to read the stuff, anyway.

Since the second I started using the internet- and this was back in the day when you had to physically plug your computer into the phone line and dial the ISP yourself, and all two dozen web pages took at least three minutes to load- I always assumed I wasn't getting full privacy.
DryBonesReborn Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Wow.

Google really says that?
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Yeah. It's in the terms and conditions. Primarily to target adds. It scans for keywords. Not just Google, either, Yahoo and other free email services and stuff do it, too. And it's right there in the TOS. The reason people don't know isn't because the company is hiding it, it's because they don't read before they click 'I agree'.

There's an article about it here: [link]
Add a Comment: