Capital punishment

What do you think of the death penalty, in various states of the US, and why do you believe what you do?

Should it be abolished entirely, or is it useful and beneficial?
Comments129
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I don't think it should be abolished. If you think capital punishment is against human rights, I would rather say that sending someone to jail till death is worse than capital punishment. It is more cruel than capital punishment.

If someone has committed a crime which deserves capital punishment, he/she should be given it.

[link]
Why is executing a convicted criminal so expensive, though? I honestly don't know. I think it's because of all the appeals trying to get the sentence commuted, but I'm not exactly sure.

Aside from that, yes, I do support capital punishment.
Yeah, the appeals cost a lot.
There needs to be a limit on how many appeals a convict can make while they're on death row. I'm surprised that the courts haven't suggested something like that yet. ...Well, I'm a law student, so maybe I could work on that when I pass the bar. Worth a try :P
Definitely worth a try.
It's expensive and too nice of a punishment in my opinion.
Too nice? What would you propose instead?
Then again, it's also expensive to keep them alive as well.

I think it's too nice because there are some criminals who would rather die than go to prison where they could be killed by fellow inmates or raped.

There's a jail in Texas or somewhere in America (or so I've heard) that is outdoors and criminals have to make their own house and food and stuff like that. Isolated. (I'm sure it's fenced in) I think that's fair for the really bad criminals.

I also believe that they should stop making some jails so fancy with tvs and such. It's stupid.
What about the people who are falsely convicted? Why punish them for the crimes of other people?

Currently, there are prisons who have programs where inmates are allowed to keep a cat at their own cost. Evidently, it changes people. Personally, I think there should be more programs like it, there certainly seem to be benefits and it doesn't cost taxpayers.

Even criminals are just people. People who made a mistake.
**murderers

Sorry I fucked up that word twice.
If they are murders, like serial murders, it was no mistake...that's what I believe.

I'm not saying for all criminals to be sentenced to this....only the ones who commit terrible acts.

People get falsely accused a lot, right? It's terrible and it sucks, but I don't doubt someone got the death penalty by being falsely accused as well. That's wrong, too.

Those programs do seem to be good and I'm not against them at all. I'm just against all the luxury they receive, such as food being better than my high school (dude at my school was in prison before - said prison food was better) and TVs. Seriously, they shouldn't have that.

Some people commit crimes because prison is way better than their current living state.

I disagree with your ending sentence. Criminals with mental disorders make mistakes. Criminals that had every intention in doing what they did....that was no mistake. Especially if it was cold blooded. That's just what I believe anyways..
Yeah, give them materials and then say survive. That's a good idea.
I have thought it was ever since I read about it. Thanks for agreeing. :nod:
The death penalty has become so expensive that we are unable to afford to execute people. I say stop recruiting for the military and anyone condemned to death or life in prison be forced to serve ten years of continuous deployments.

Lose a limb, you'll be outfitted with a artificial and sent back out.
So we take violent criminals and give them weapons...great idea.
You are giving them weapons in the war zone and while training. In war, you need that violence, because it is war and war should always be as violent and terrible as possible so that all may never again want it in any life time.

If your nation is at war and its very survival as a nation isn't at risk... you should feel a endless pit of shame for being at war. Thus why I demand that we end wars quickly and that at all times we go to war, we have a draft with a war tax.

This pain the public has inflicted upon it for being at war will encourage our public to demand of the leaders to end the war at the soonest possible moment, rather than drag it out for ever.

If the public doesn't demand this both with their votes and with their anger... Than the public agrees with the war and the price it exacts from the public.
War tax. That's a good idea.
I may be cruel when I say this, but there are a couple of groups of people I personally believe that should be 'humanely euthanized' for the sake of the greater good.
Convicted murderers, rapists and pedophiles being top among them.

Screw rehabilitation.
You do the crime you pay the price. Period.

However, seeing as there have been cases where innocent people have been executed under the falsehood they've committed crimes like murder (and i don't think innocent people should die for crimes they didn't commit), I'd only agree with doing it if there's absolutely no doubts in the case and 100% legitimate proof they're guilty of the crime.

Then again, "to err is Human", so probably even then there'd be a few innocents that paid the price for someone else's crime.
There's always exceptions.
My response is a general one regarding the whole "we shouldn't execute a potentially innocent person out of the need to exact revenge so that the victim's loved ones can have their petty closure" argument. One has to ask why we punish someone for their crimes. Could that punishment, be it incarceration, community service or a fine be considered a form of revenge, from a certain point of view?
There's also the question of what the purpose of punishment is.
I have no problem with their being a death penalty. However I think the requirements for sanctioning that punishment should be even more rigorous than for mere convictions.
I believe everyone convicted of first degree murder, child rape, or violent rape should all be executed. You're only condoning these crimes if you allow the prisoner to eat three square meals a day, get a yard for exercise, see family member whenever they please and get mail while their victim is either six feet under or suicidal or traumatized for life.

This whole "civilized" thing is garbage. Don't let the tree-hugging-hippie-liberals trick you with this. They love criminals because they vote for them. I mean if I were a felon, I'd love the people asking for my release.

Being against the death penalty proves you're weak on crime, and probably love having people get murdered, you probably love children getting raped, or anyone getting raped, beaten, robbed, burned, etc.

If only the guillotine was still around.
Civilized nations should not be doing government-sanctioned murder. We live in 2012 ffs.

No, it doesn't matter what the criminal did, even if they raped small babies or killed hundreds of people. Revenge is not a good reason for taking someone's life, ever, and it doesn't undo their crimes.

The problem with the death penalty is that it invariably ends up being used against the "undesirable" portions of the population, and invariably innocent people end up getting executed, especially if they're a part of the "undesirable" class.

All criminal penalties should be rehabilitative in nature, not punitive. If someone hurts other people, there's obviously something wrong with them, and they should receive treatment and rehabilitation to fix whatever it is. If it's not possible to fix then they should be locked up for safety. But capital punishment isn't about trying to fix things, it's simply a means to satisfy some kind of primitive urge for revenge, a perverted idea of "justice" that probably has to do with some kind of biblical "eye for an eye" mentality. No, we (as in, the people of the world) should be above this sort of thing by now.