Details

Closed to new replies
December 1, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

on taxes

:iconhustlerdu:
was just thinking what if we could choose what our taxes go towards? like when you pay your taxes, you just pick like what the government is going to spend it on and you get like certain options. this could work as like a form of fiscal direct democracy, like i for example would want my taxes to go towards like roads and healthcare and money for students, but i wouldn't want it spent on the defense budget or like the DEA, do you think there's a way this could work? just kinda tossing it out there to see what people think of this. our governments budget for our tax dollars would be like determined directly by the people paying the taxes. i think it sounds like a good idea i just haven't quite figured all the logistics out.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconwitwitch:
witwitch Dec 1, 2012  Student Writer
This is why you should vote for congresspeople who support the issues you support.
Yeah but there's reasons that doesn't really work out
:iconskulkey:
skulkey Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
you disabled avatars? :stare:

anyways, this is just another route to plutocracy. those paying more taxes will have it go towards things that make them richer. those in government wouldn't even have to pretend they were doing the right thing with tax money. they would just be making policy for those that line their pockets. yes, they already do this, but this would only exacerbate the problem.
Disabled avatars? Did I now? Wasn't intentional, had a frew brews before I posted this one ifuknowhatimsayin :eyes: . but yes I see this rathe embarassing flaw now, seems like damn near everything just ends up with plutocracy, I did kinda just fart this idea out in a mix of boredome and intoxication, but I think there might be something to it, maybe some way to make something similar work
:icontinoculars:
Tinoculars Dec 1, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
I think if people were given that chance, they would all go soft and send their money towards the obvious "charitable" causes like feeding the homeless and sending orphans to college or stuff like that, which is nice and all, but they would neglect the other more obscure necessities crucial in keeping the country running. So then you'd have some over-funded areas and other areas that no one cares about would collapse.

Takes more than a kind heart to run a country and I'll trust my tax money to the people who actually know what they're doing, as corrupt as they may be. I may not agree with everything politicians do but I know damn well I couldn't do a better job since everything I know about politics I've heard on the radio.
:iconscottahemi:
ScottaHemi Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
except for taxes that go specifically for something like Fuel tax. or SSi tax. that is just way to complicated to work. as is there is nothing simple about our tax system.

Just have faith though that the government knows best how to best waste your taxes! i mean spend... I um... use? throw away?
:iconshidaku:
If people were fully aware of what their money could be possibly going to be, sure. But even so, would a person still have to choose an actual government program? Or could they say: "I only want you to spend this on research regarding if monkeys like chocolate milk and strippers?" to prevent the government from actually using their money, or force the government to do stupid wasteful things long enough to eventually stop taxing you?
:iconsonrouge:
sonrouge Dec 1, 2012
If you were asking this of people who understood that the government is the servant, not the master of the people, and thus has to earn its pay like anyone else, you'd probably get some honest answers. Since those people are few and far between on here, you're going to get people more worried about losing their looter benefits.

Yes, the government actually having to earn the money it loots every year would be nice and very economically sound (not to mention that the true functions of government involved in the protection of individual rights are very visibly worth the cost), but unfortunately, people have gotten too used to government bribes to want them ended anytime soon. So yes, it would work, but no, it won't be brought about anytime soon.
:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
So, The American healthcare and education system would fail even more, and they'd overspend on military, through the teeth.

Smart idea...
yes i kind of realize this flaw now, little drunk when i posted this one, i wonder if there's some way something like this could work tho, im gonna have to think about it more
Add a Comment: