November 28, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 51

SOPA sponsor Lamar Smith nominated for central comittee Role

:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
[link]

"US Republican leaders announced on 27 November their recommendation of Lamar Smith, a Republican from Texas, as the new chairman of the House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology. Smith’s nomination is expected to be ratified by the House Republican Conference on 28 November."

[link]
"SAN ANTONIO (Reuters) - The Texas Congressman whose proposed Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) prompted dozens of websites to go dark or run protest messages this week said Friday he is pulling the measure from consideration "until there is wider agreement on a solution."

that lamar smith.

This is after the republicans propose copyright reform.

Here is a major hint for the republican party, if you want to be taken seriously, lamar smith needs to go.

No more than the dems can whine about corporate and wall street and take money from the same

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconunvalanced:
Unvalanced Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
He's one of the few technically literate people in congress. It's a pity he uses these skills for the dark side.
:iconragerancher:
Ragerancher Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
It's a pity that there aren't more technically literate congressmen.
I suspect that would result in more, rather than less, internet legislation.
Ragerancher Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
Not necessarily. You are equating competence with malice. Granted a competent and malicious government is more deadly but a competent and non-malicious government is definitely the ideal. An incompetent government is the worst thing, whether for a small or large government.
Unvalanced Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
For an institution whose competence is, at its essence, competence at deciding who to be violent at, I'm not sure the distinction between competence and malice is as wide as you seem to think in this case.
Ragerancher Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012
Would you prefer a surgeon operate with proper tools or a rusty mess? Government is going to make policies about how a country is run either way so it would be better to have one that was run well. Incompetence leads to tyranny far more than competence does.
Unvalanced Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I'd prefer the surgeon work with a rubber spatula if it's an unnecessary surgery.
Ragerancher Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012
So you'd rather risk extra harm to yourself for no reason other than the surgery is unnecessary?
(1 Reply)
:iconskulkey:
skulkey Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
ugh, you'd have a bureaucrat for every protocol...
Hell, they'd have bureaucracies entire for each protocol. There would be councils of bureaucrats whose sole jobs would be to decide on the standard principles for mediating between Windows-1252 and ISO-8859-1.

(There already are hundreds of bureaucrats for each protocol, though. I've worked with some of them in a state government, and I've read reports on technology standards generated by EPA bureaucrats whose sole job, as far as I can tell, is to justify why they use a proprietary standard for data transmission - nominally it's not proprietary, but in practice the company that created it intentionally designed it to be impossible for other products to produce or consume, because it was originally intended to be a proprietary format. Their "documentation" is garbage, to boot. I gave that project up, and I basically write parsers of proprietary data standards for a living.)
Add a Comment: