Closed to new replies
November 28, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 39

More interested in going to lectures than seeing Will and Kate

:iconfly-gonz:
Fly-gonz Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
Not sure if this goes in the politics section, but...

Will and Kate were visiting my university today. They blocked all the entrances so it took forever for me to get to class. I would have much rather gone to class...

Anyone British here? (I'm a Canadian studying in England.) What are your views on the monarchy?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
American Here:

I see the monarchy as a by-gone relic of another age. Slightly more refined and less stupid than American celebrities, but a similar equivalent.
:iconnerofly:
nerofly Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
Considerably more refined and less stupid than the majority of your presidents.
:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
"Considerably more refined and less stupid than the majority of your presidents."

If reading the tabloids is any indiciation, they are slightly more refined and intellegent than our CELEBRITIES.

Yes, they are a level bellow our politicians.
:iconnerofly:
nerofly Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
The function of the King in promoting stability and acting as a sort of keystone in a non-democratic society is, of course, obvious. But he also has, or can have, the function of acting as an escape-valve for dangerous emotions. A French journalist said to me once that the monarchy was one of the things that have saved Britain from Fascism. What he meant was that modern people can’t, apparently, get along without drums, flags and loyalty parades, and that it is better that they should tie their leader-worship onto some figure who has no real power. In a dictatorship the power and the glory belong to the same person. In England the real power belongs to unprepossessing men in bowler hats: the creature who rides in a gilded coach behind soldiers in steel breast-plates is really a waxwork. It is at any rate possible that while this division of function exists a Hitler or a Stalin cannot come to power. On the whole the European countries which have most successfully avoided Fascism have been constitutional monarchies. The conditions seemingly are that the Royal Family shall be long-established and taken for granted, shall understand its own position and shall not produce strong characters with political ambitions. These have been fulfilled in Britain, the Low Countries and Scandinavia, but not in, say, Spain or Rumania. If you point these facts out to the average left-winger he gets very angry, but only because he has not examined the nature of his own feelings towards Stalin.

- George Orwell
:iconilovebigcats:
ILoveBigCats Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I live very near the aforementioned city, but I'm away at a different uni right now so I missed their visit. I did see the queen when she came up to York to do some Maundy Thursday affair.
I miss Cambridge, it's a lovely city
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I'd actually like to see the Crown take some independent action once in awhile. I understand the constitutional role it has adopted, but with no independent executive in the UK and a toothless upper house in Parliament, there ought to be someone able to put the brakes on governmental stupidity.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
It's not really politics, as Will and Kate are not political figures.
:iconcreamstar:
Creamstar Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
No different than the US president making a visit in America, really.
:iconnewfoundpower92:
newfoundpower92 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
Dare I say it?...
ANARCHY IN THE UK! xD
:iconprincess-amy:
Princess-Amy Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
All hail the gracious and almighty mnarchy (may they live forever)
Add a Comment: