Democracy? No thank you.

I am always baffled when people advocate for a pure democracy, and it happens to be one of my biggest pet peeves when I hear people call the United States a "democracy." Even our elected officials do this on a regular basis.

The United States of America is not, and never was, a democracy. Why not? Because Democracy is nothing more than a tyranny of the majority. As Alexander Hamilton wrote, "It had been observed that a pure democracy if it were practicable would be the most perfect government. Experience had proved that no position is more false than this. The ancient democracies in which the people themselves deliberated never possessed one good feature of government. Their very character was tyranny; their figure deformity." In a true democracy, rules don't matter. A Constitution can be put in place in an attempt to protect the minority, but if absolute power rests with the majority, as is the case in a democracy, then the majority can simply trash the protections of the minority and continue to exploit them.

A Constitution Republic is the only form of government that places the decisions in the hands of the majority, and yet preserves the rights of the minority and gives them influence in government. This is why the founders created a Republic and firmly rejected the idea of democracy.

What do deviants think of the efforts by the government, such as the Seventeenth Amendment which changed the election of senators to a popular vote or a call to repeal the electoral college, to "democratize" the United States? I personally think it's rubbish and we need to stick with the Constitution. After all, it did give us the most stable and long-lasting free nation in the history of the world.
Comments320
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
If most people you argue with are liberal, where would you put yourself on the political scale from communism to libertarianism/anarchy?
Well, it's difficult to place myself on a "scale" since they're all different and pretty much all inaccurate. I consider myself classically liberal, since "conservative" doesn't cut it and "libertarian" doesn't work for every aspect of my political opinions. I think we need to stick to the original intent of the Constitution, with an extremely limited federal government.
Don't worry, I know what classically liberal means. Most people I know are just neo liberals... then again I live in California so yeah
Why can't The USA be more democratic?
It already is. Too democratic to say the least. :sarcasticclap:
Really? And just how have authoritarian systems worked out for the past 100 years? Look at all the incidents involving police beating peaceful protesters, the Patriot Act, and the NDAA, then tell me how democratic this country is now.

Ahem: [link]
The Patriot Act and NDAA were voted on and passed by a group of representatives. We, as a nation, elect these representatives.

There, I just told you how democratic this country is.
Then what's your solution We're all dying to hear it.

I didn't vote for the people who passed those acts, so don't blame me.
Solution to what? You being blatantly wrong? I provided the solution, it's called, you're wrong.
Are you accusing President Obama of being an obvious dictator?
I'm just talking about things I don't agree with. But maybe.
Um, both NDAA and the Patriot Act were passed via vote...that's democratic...

And violence is not a form of government...Police have beaten people in democracies, anarchies, fascist regimes, tribal societies, etc..etc..
Because 51% of America is willing to sell their vote for an Obama phone.
OP doesn't like democracy because the country voted for "the other guy".

Instead of trying to break down Romneys loss via statistics then propose reasons why Mitt Romney DIDN'T get elected, he's opted for for statistically irrelevant rhetoric.
Great, and he has to have a name associated with one of my favorite genres of music too. Sad, really sad.
so. the music is great

but the question is, does it define you?
Depends what bands and what songs, really. Some songs can depict a belief of mine perfectly, others falter wit angst.

Yet, if you are asking if the whole genre define me, no - not in the least.
sounds about right.
Never heard of that, did you just make that up or something? You sound just like :iconmeanus:
I'm using the Obama-phone as an example. There's a video of people saying they voted for Obama because they got a free phone from his campaign. Many others voted for him because he promises more programs, more spending, and more taxes on the wealthy to pay for all of this. Free stuff for them with someone else shouldering the burden.
I did not vote for Obama. [link] I voted for Stein. Nor did I see the "free phone" video.

As for taxes, someone who makes over 200 thousand dollars a year should pay more taxes someone who makes 50 thousand dollars a year.