Closed to new replies
November 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 322

Democracy? No thank you.

:iconpunker--rocker:
punker--rocker Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I am always baffled when people advocate for a pure democracy, and it happens to be one of my biggest pet peeves when I hear people call the United States a "democracy." Even our elected officials do this on a regular basis.

The United States of America is not, and never was, a democracy. Why not? Because Democracy is nothing more than a tyranny of the majority. As Alexander Hamilton wrote, "It had been observed that a pure democracy if it were practicable would be the most perfect government. Experience had proved that no position is more false than this. The ancient democracies in which the people themselves deliberated never possessed one good feature of government. Their very character was tyranny; their figure deformity." In a true democracy, rules don't matter. A Constitution can be put in place in an attempt to protect the minority, but if absolute power rests with the majority, as is the case in a democracy, then the majority can simply trash the protections of the minority and continue to exploit them.

A Constitution Republic is the only form of government that places the decisions in the hands of the majority, and yet preserves the rights of the minority and gives them influence in government. This is why the founders created a Republic and firmly rejected the idea of democracy.

What do deviants think of the efforts by the government, such as the Seventeenth Amendment which changed the election of senators to a popular vote or a call to repeal the electoral college, to "democratize" the United States? I personally think it's rubbish and we need to stick with the Constitution. After all, it did give us the most stable and long-lasting free nation in the history of the world.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconryrare:
Ryrare Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
If most people you argue with are liberal, where would you put yourself on the political scale from communism to libertarianism/anarchy?
:iconpunker--rocker:
punker--rocker Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well, it's difficult to place myself on a "scale" since they're all different and pretty much all inaccurate. I consider myself classically liberal, since "conservative" doesn't cut it and "libertarian" doesn't work for every aspect of my political opinions. I think we need to stick to the original intent of the Constitution, with an extremely limited federal government.
:iconryrare:
Ryrare Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Don't worry, I know what classically liberal means. Most people I know are just neo liberals... then again I live in California so yeah
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Why can't The USA be more democratic?
:iconmiletich2:
miletich2 Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
It already is. Too democratic to say the least. :sarcasticclap:
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Really? And just how have authoritarian systems worked out for the past 100 years? Look at all the incidents involving police beating peaceful protesters, the Patriot Act, and the NDAA, then tell me how democratic this country is now.

Ahem: [link]
:iconrestinmotion:
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012
The Patriot Act and NDAA were voted on and passed by a group of representatives. We, as a nation, elect these representatives.

There, I just told you how democratic this country is.
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Then what's your solution We're all dying to hear it.

I didn't vote for the people who passed those acts, so don't blame me.
:iconrestinmotion:
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012
Solution to what? You being blatantly wrong? I provided the solution, it's called, you're wrong.
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Screw you.
Add a Comment: