So the US was obviously ready to (re-)elect a black president. What about a (blank) president?

...a female president? Yes. Or, I should hope so, what with Angela Merkel and other prominent female leaders around the world. Hillary is probably the only American with the national profile right now, but there are others gaining more visibility.
...a gay president? Soon. My teenage kids and their friends talk about their LGBT friends like it's no big deal...pretty normal in fact. And although they have both Obama and Romney supporters among their friends, everyone is socially liberal. It's in the near future.
...a Jewish president? Yes. Hey, we almost elected a Mormon.
...an atheist president? Sadly, no. Much of this country is still too religious and suspicious of an "intellectual elite" to fully trust an atheist.
...a Muslim president? Not even close. Oh, right, we already have a Muslim president :) (if you believe Obama is a Muslim, please don't reply).

Thoughts? Let's keep it respectful and thoughtful please. Thanks.
Comments260
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
An actual black president :B
What is 'actual black'? Do you mean someone who speaks like a rapper and blings out Air Force One? Or do you mean someone who isn't mixed-race, as if Americans actually cared about the difference?
The second one, although the first one does sound interesting... :idea:
I'll paste in the best quote in this entire forum thread (it's way down at the bottom) because it directly addresses this:
"[quote]Obama is not actually black. He is a mixed raced president and only half black[quote]

That is a "no true scotsman" fallacy. With the exception of very few first generation immigrants from Africa (most of them would not even qualify), there are no blacks in the US according to your definition. DNA tests of the African-American population have found that virtually all of them have European ancestry among their parentage. I have even seen examples of people who had no idea they had any European ancestors, only to find that they are technically more than 50% European by descent. This is due to a number of factors in the African-American experience, including the raping of African slaves by white slave owners, and the resulting children.

The worse fallacy is to ignore the reality of the American experience for non-whites. The reality is that no one stops to ask you what percentage of your ancestors were white. No one stops to ask you if you have a white parent. If your skin is at all darker, you are treated as black. Not half black. Not quarter black. Not 3/4ths black. Black.

To put it in more scientific terms, the American racial experience has been one of phenotype, not genotype."
Impressive explanation, even though I was being facetious :O
Well, that's good. You just never know...

Now I know what a phenotype is :)
I'd vote for a gay, Jewish, female president if I agreed with their positions.
How about an ugly president? Or one with facial hair?
There you go! Points for the most seemingly-inocuous-but-actually-very-real hurdle to clear in the matter of becoming president. But of course, I wouldn't call either Nixon or Carter good-looking men. And there was that guy Lincoln who had a beard I believe...
Lincoln did not have to deal with a mess media of pictures and videos that presidents do today. Today, a beard would be perceived as burly, perhaps not as clean as a shaven face.

Nixon was indeed a bit ugly, but now with color TVs and even larger media he might have a tougher time today. Carter at least had a smile to use. A lot of ignorant voters today consider things like looks.
Good points all. Let's not forget that one of the reasons Nixon lost to Kennedy in 1960 was that he looked so much worse on TV. Lots of other factors of course, but yeah people are affected by looks.

How about a short president?
I doubt many would notice that. A president with a handicap? FDR had to hide it. Perhaps the chances are better today, but people care too much about strength and would still view any limping as a weakness.
Well, on the height thing, the data is pretty overwhelming ([link]), but as they say, correlation does not equal causation. Disabled? Hmm...you might be right. But if it was a war injury, it would be an advantage.
I wish Dr. Jill Stein won, even though that was a snowball's chance in hell for the 2012 election.

A Native American president would be great, too.
I'd be thrilled with an actual blank president. I mean, just imagine - absolutely no one voting for president and there is no president for four years.
:paranoid: I would atleast vote for Jon Stewart.
With Stephen Colbert as VP :)
I think Colbert would make the better President, personally.
I have honestly never once cared about the a president's (or any other elected official's) political party, skin color, race, ethnicity, gender, or religion. I feel like those should not even matter. I vote for the person whose idea align closest to mine. I do my research carefully and vote for who I think has the best ideas. I don't understand why political party, skin color, race, ethnicity, gender, or religion is even a factor.

Oh btw I honestly do believe that Obama is Muslim and was elected only because he is black but I couldn't pass this forum up.
Hillary is running in 2016. So there's that. Jill Stein SHOULD be a contender but won't be.

A gay president? Not even close.
A Jewish president? Mormonism doesn't have hundreds of years of persecution.
An atheist president? No way. Too many stupid people.
A Muslim president? One of the Republican nominees wanted to not allow Muslims in government and wanted to get rid of Mosques. No way a Muslim could win.
the usa will elect anyone willing to keep the welfare coming
I would LOVE a black female lesbian atheist president. Piss of all the republicans baby.