Renewable energy backlash?

So, there are honestly people who believe it's a good idea to not use renewable energy, and they're also conservative extremists [link]. I personally would love using more renewable, and I think it's ridiculous to want to stop it. Any opposing views? I'll hear you out.
Comments161
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
dude man its like the same people who are opposed to legal weed, theyre just hungry for money
one line comment.
Once renewable becomes profitable, you'll get it.

You'll also get Big Green, an evil corrupt political behemoth just like Big Oil before it.
Assuming the latter isn't the exact same as the former when push comes to shove, as it is in so much 'organic industry' which is just done by regular food manufacturers all those vegans and animal rights activists hate.
yeah man. organic doesnt really mean anything anyways
Regardless of your belief about environmentalism, fossil fuels are finite, and until they make a car that runs on coal, we need some sort of alternative for the future. Of course america is exactly about future investments
We have to do our best to solve this climate problem as much as we can, no matter what the costs. If the Earth are turning towards disaster (which it is) money won't do us any good. We will all be in the same boat, rich and poor alike, humans and animals and plants. I find it very hard to understand that so many seem to find this so very hard to understand.
I understand that renewable can be costly, but honestly we need to start shifting toward them, even if they might lack some benefits of other fuels. The carbon emissions of fossil fuels are leading to the destruction of our climate. If we want to avoid the heavy consequences this will bring, we have to use renewable energy whether it is more efficient or not.
but dude if they cost too much businesses wont make money
My question to people is What is wrong with SCIENCE. This should not even be a fucking issue of economy, this is an achievement of mankind and SCIENCE. Instead of guarding investments perhaps business leaders should look on how to best diversify their investments. This is why the American solar panel industry is paling in comparison to China, a country without proper infrastructure, because investors there see solar panels and think, DAMN I can be making money of this stuff.
Sigh... it is sad that science these days is often the bitch of capitalism. If it has not short-mid term profit - it gets scarpped or at best sold/canned.
Just look at aerogel, we could have been making insulated glass for windows for like... 30 years already, but the costs of mass producing the damn thing were all to high up to mid 00s. And aerogel is almost 80 years old!
Part of it could be that in China they can get away with breaking safety requirements, and therefore save themselves a ton of money. It's tough to get away with dumping silicon tetrachloride, a corrosive, toxic pollutant that produces toxic gas hydrogen chloride upon contact with water, in the US, but apparently it's acceptable in China.
Excuse me if I'm wrong but aren't you for deregulation? Look, you can even make jobs by convincing people it would make good business cleaning up toxic waste.
That said, there's some irony to you wanting to regulate everything, but are totally okay with dumping pollutants. Strange, innit?
Who ever said I was for regulating everything?
That was certainly the implication of your post.
I am for deregulation, although I'm not quite so anti-government that I believe we should be able to dump tons (literally) of highly toxic biproducts. Regardless, the point was that there may be another reason for us not having much of a solar industry besides "Teh Chinese are smarter hurr hurr."
I know part of the problem with solar power is that the panels are reflective. Which doesn't sound like a big deal, BUT when you have a solar farm, or even just a neighborhood with a lot of environmentally conscious people, it can mess with airplanes and impact pilots vision.
I've never heard that, and I can't imagine it's an especially big issue (but what do I know?). A more prominent one is that solar panels have to be powerwashed regularly, but the ideal solar farm location are all deserts, where water isn't exactly gushing out of the ground.
View all replies