November 25, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 67

Could America Conquer the world?

:iconsonic1234567891:
Sonic1234567891 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Given our Military has no real rival, would it be possible? :shrug:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icon2aliens1astronaut:
2Aliens1Astronaut Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
How can it?

When it can't even conquer itself...
:iconh-irsch:
h-irsch Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Fuck no.
:iconrockstar1009:
rockstar1009 Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
The USA can barely handle one war at a time. Two wars against backward, third-world countries practically bankrupted them.

The US could probably beat any nation on Earth in one-on-one warfare, but all of them? No chance. For the past 70 years the US has gone up against 3rd world nations or backwards obsolete militaries and struggled against some of them (Vietnam and Iraq were nothing shy of messy). A battle against a large nation like China or India or a nation with a modern or sizeable military like Russia, Israel or a Western Europe state (like Germany, UK, France etc.) would leave them badly wounded.
:iconrookieowl:
RookieOwl Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
... Nah, Japan would stop them before even try
I think they tried already. America responded by invading their country, killing thousands and dropping two atomic bombs which only became more technology advanced through time.
Then China? Europe? Somebody?
Somebody, most likely. That being said by a Native who's still upset America took the land and basically treated us like shit for many, many years.
They tried that once already and it didn't work out so well. :lol:

:iconnukeplz:
but... BUT that was before, I'm sure they are more prepared now, right? :fear:
Nah - Japan's military was crippled during the Potsdam Declaration and their navy was completely dissolved. They still have their Maritime Defense Force (think Coast Guard but with destroyers and submarines), but the treaty did not allow for an offensive fleet to be built; just a defensive fleet.

I still think there's a secret lab deep within Mt Fuji where a huge fleet of Gundam are being assembled. I don't think the treaty made mention of mecha being prohibited...
:iconprincess-amy:
Princess-Amy Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
America couldn't even beat dr evil without british help, therfore the world is an ambition too far.
Sonic1234567891 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
that was a movie
:iconprincess-amy:
Princess-Amy Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Nowai!! I thought it was a documentary!
:iconfatexfellxshort:
fatexfellxshort Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
If all other countries joined forces to defend themselves I doubt it.. but one by one maybe.
:icondebit:
Debit Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Even if the US economy were in splendid shape with twice the power projection capacity, my answer is NO.

The US military has been geared up to kick open someone else's door, barge in, take on occupation chores for a few years while putting together a regime change, then pull out. In short, it is optimized for interventionist contingencies.

Additional obstacle involves the US political system. It is difficult to retain voters' support for overseas wars beyond first few years. The last time the congress has even formally declared a war was right after the Japanese attack at Pearl Harbor and that was way back in late 1941!
:iconwhiskyomega:
WhiskyOmega Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional General Artist
Considering the US economy is so frail right now, I doubt very much it could afford the huge scale of operations it would take to launch a full-scale war against the many nations of the world.
:iconzigholtul88:
Zigholtul88 Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
From an economic and cultural perspective, not to mention that we're in the goddamn internet age and once more we make progress that makes us a more freer and open-minded species. Yes they're a lot we still have to fix about ourselves and trying to conquer the world through a military sense or just the thought that the entire world could submit into a 1984 world of epic magnitude is utter pointless and stupid...............and the people won't put up with that. ;)
:iconinfinitetolerance:
infinitetolerance Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
First we take over North America, then South America, then Africa, all that's left is Europe and Asia. It would take a long ass time, but we could probably do it.
:iconzodiacgal:
zodiacgal Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Probably not. If all the other countries banded together and opposed us, we'd lose. :dummy: Not to mention, I dun want the U.S. to conquer the world anyway...
:iconchakatblackstar:
ChakatBlackstar Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
We could destroy the rest of the world(though leave ourselves severely depleted and possibly dead ourselves), but actually conquering it would be asking too much.
:iconmaestrotomberi:
MaestroTomberi Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012   Digital Artist
The USA all alone? Not even by chance.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
lmao unfortunately, we may have lots of weapons but we are very, very outnumbered. Sure, we can try and bend a few places to our will, but if we started trying to take out EVERYBODY we'd be trashed. No one military may rival us, but see what happens when half a dozen countries join forces and send their troops in.
:iconabcat:
AbCat Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012   Writer
Did anyone else see the Chinese aircraft carrier on the news and shit themselves a little?
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
I heard one of the guys working on a project to see if they could land a plane (something I'm sure the American military do for fun) on it actually had an heart attack and died when it they finally made it. Because in China things tend to go wrong more often than right.
:iconchakatblackstar:
ChakatBlackstar Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
Not at all. It took 14 years to put it into service after they bought it from the Ukraine, the hull is older then I am, and it's air-wing is half the size of a Nimitz-class carrier's not to mention our planes are better in every respect AND we have 11 supercarriers to their one Soviet carrier. The Chinese may have some projects such as their carrier-killer missile(still in development) that scare me, but their single second-hand Soviet-era carrier is not one of them.
:iconliberi89:
liberi89 Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
Hmm... If America decided to try to take over the world, I'd travel to some remote country that no one cares about to avoid the utter destruction that would follow.

Maybe I'd go to the Czech Republic, I don't think many Americans know how to spell it, so they'd have a problem entering it into their GPS to bomb it. :plotting:
Sonic1234567891 Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
:lol: i was just doing this as a thought experiment ^^;
:icontristancody:
TristanCody Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student Writer
Even if we tried, we would soon die. Going to war is not only a stupid thing to start with (given we are talking about dominance and not over anything worth-while), but it is suicide. First you have the loss of all other market shares and such, all the resources we obtain from them - that alone would cripple and kill us; secondly, we are too unorganized and capable of combat of suggested scale. We would fail, very badly.
:iconmgonzales041090:
mgonzales041090 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
We couldn't even fucking conquer Iraq.
:iconthegman0:
theGman0 Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist
^
:iconfrozenpanther:
FrozenPanther Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I doubt it
I mean the stupid trends in america are almost worldwide now
which sucks

but

america really is mentally disabled when it comes to leading or forming opinion, like
supporting isreal
sticking their noses in everyones business..

it grows from there
:iconanaliasunknown:
AnAliasUnknown Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
Probably not. Even if we have a stellar military, we don't have endless amounts of people and resources (and going to war with the world, we would lose many of these resources).
:iconcreamstar:
Creamstar Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
Depends what you mean by conquer. Using military force? Likely not possible. But economically? American founded corporations already have conquered much of the world.
I did mean in a military sense. I was just engaging in a thought experiment.
:iconhopeira9:
hopeira9 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
It's possible. After all, everyone thought Napoleon was just some idiot, and look what he nearly did.
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
No.

Why would any logical American ever want to? You'd have to kill all the smart people in the States before any dumbass would try to attempt that.
I was watching a documentary about the Roman Empire and it said that it was there mastery of logistics that allowed them to conquer all that land and i was just wondering if the United States could, it was just a thought experiment.
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
Except the Roman Empire didn't conquer the world, and the States isn't Roman.
:iconragerancher:
Ragerancher Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
America could potentially destroy the world but simply doesn't have the capacity to conquer it. Also America would get destroyed in the process as well due to Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD).

If we ignore WMDs and look only at conventional forces then again the US simply wouldn't be able to do it. The USA would have to fight on numerous fronts simultaneously and whilst you spend a similar amount to the rest of the world combined, you certainly don't have the manpower of the rest of the world combined.
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
No.
:icontempusnexus:
TempusNexus Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Naaah. The world is in an entirely different circumstance than back in the age of imperialism. It's fundamentally impossible without a serious shift in world politics and principles.
:iconebolabears:
EbolaBears Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
The world?
No.

A big empire?
Probably not, not because we do not have the people, it's a lack of desire.
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
No, it'd be sooner that the United Kingdom buys the USA back so the USA can escape its incredible debt while not being sold to China.
:icontrorbes:
Trorbes Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
The US government can barely sustain a war in the Middle East against corrupt, oppressive governments without growing dissatisfaction amongst the people, and globalization is making it harder and harder to demonize other countries. We can pick at all the dictators and totalitarian regimes we want, but without a valid reason for war the US population would never support invading a major state.
Agreed. I was trying to create a thought experiment.
:iconsvataben:
Svataben Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
America up against one other country - America would win.
America up against ALL other countries - America would be bombed into a barren wasteland.

Don't get delusions of grandeur, kid.
:iconalphamale1980:
alphamale1980 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
Actually...
America up against one other country - America would win.
America up against ALL other countries - America would be bombed into a barren wasteland and so would every other nation on earth.
:iconsvataben:
Svataben Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Depends on the order of events.
:iconscnal:
Scnal Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
In reality...
America up against one other country - Despite better everything can't win because America sucks at desert warfare.
America up against ALL other countries - America would be bombed into a barren wasteland and so would every other nation on earth.
:iconcailst:
Cailst Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
Actually, desert warfare is where we really excel. There, we can use most of our firepower most effectively without interfering terrain.

In places like Afghanistan and Iraq, the problem is/was that the enemy was an insurgency which hides among the people.
Add a Comment: