Electronic surveillance for students?

This in a school in Texas: [link] but with potentially far-reaching implications. The student objected on religious grounds, although that wouldn't have occurred to me -more an ethical and legal question.
Big Brother? Your thoughts...
Comments57
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I actually don't see what's the big deal. It can't tell what you're doing, just at best tell the location (I wouldn't be surprised if they could only tell which reader you're closest to, not even in which direction or how far away). They're children at school where they should be at specific places anyway (or going to somewhere else with explicit permission by their teacher). Odds are they won't even bother checking to see who's where unless something serious that they need to investigate happens. Camera surveillance is a lot worse than this, and it's pretty common yet few people have a problem with that (and even less care enough to protest or sue them for having cameras).

That said, I do think that it's a waste of time and money, and RFID tags aren't secure enough when it comes to any form of personal identification.
God I'm proud of Texas. It's just the people who disappoint me.
Big brother is right, it's a total invasion of privacy. It's starts with this and ends up with cameras on every street corner watching everything we do, no one's safe.
Ah, Texas. I'm glad I left the education system right before it went HIAB.
I disagree with this. I do not believe, nor ever have, advocate surveillance. I do not want to see children raised in a police state.
I thought this would be about surveillance that the students would get to use.
we should stop treating children like cattle.

All this is doing is preparing them for life in a police state.
In order to not only get an idea, but an exact number, of how many students attend classes the teachers at my school have come up with this ingenious method of checking all attending students on a piece of paper, but I guess tracking devices works too.
They already have that in a way. Haven't you ever watched Person of Interest on cable or TV?
Heh, good thinking on her part. "Mark of the Beast," indeed. I hope she wins.

Tracking -- invasion of privacy.
I wouldn't really care if everybody had a GPS transmitter placed at birth.
then you're not very smart.
Comment Flagged as Spam
you should also add, that with this, we throw out all "rule of law", and the only people who would be prosecuted, are the people who the government, and its at the time sponsors don't like.

Only some people would have privacy, and only those with money to buy it, or favor enough to beg for it will get it.
Comment Flagged as Spam
While I don't live in the US I think that's an interesting book regardless. Nobody ever learned anything from a one lined insult though, do you presume that I'm so closed-minded that I've no interest in any points someone else makes, on the contrary it's why I like to discuss these things
Some people would. But if it is at birth, we can't really make it a choice, can we?
I was merely highlighting my stance on the subject of civilian surveillance and tracking.
That was fairly obvious from your previous statement.
Then perhaps I'm missing the point of your followup, I mentioned nothing of choice at all.
No, you didn't. You said you wouldn't mind if everyone was chipped at birth.

I'm trying to make you wonder whether you would care or not if this was done against the will of others--that is, if you care or not about people being violated against their will.
Also back to the thing about being violated against their will but off-topic, what's your stance on circumcision? I'm just curious since that's a fairly common practice I disagree with in which choice is also removed at birth, yet so many people are okay with it.
View all replies