Closed to new replies
November 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 61

Electronic surveillance for students?

:icondoctorv23:
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
This in a school in Texas: [link] but with potentially far-reaching implications. The student objected on religious grounds, although that wouldn't have occurred to me -more an ethical and legal question.
Big Brother? Your thoughts...

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconscnal:
Scnal Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I actually don't see what's the big deal. It can't tell what you're doing, just at best tell the location (I wouldn't be surprised if they could only tell which reader you're closest to, not even in which direction or how far away). They're children at school where they should be at specific places anyway (or going to somewhere else with explicit permission by their teacher). Odds are they won't even bother checking to see who's where unless something serious that they need to investigate happens. Camera surveillance is a lot worse than this, and it's pretty common yet few people have a problem with that (and even less care enough to protest or sue them for having cameras).

That said, I do think that it's a waste of time and money, and RFID tags aren't secure enough when it comes to any form of personal identification.
:iconmgonzales041090:
mgonzales041090 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
God I'm proud of Texas. It's just the people who disappoint me.
:iconmachine-intellectual:
Machine-Intellectual Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Big brother is right, it's a total invasion of privacy. It's starts with this and ends up with cameras on every street corner watching everything we do, no one's safe.
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Ah, Texas. I'm glad I left the education system right before it went HIAB.
:icontristancody:
TristanCody Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Student Writer
I disagree with this. I do not believe, nor ever have, advocate surveillance. I do not want to see children raised in a police state.
:iconbullet-magnet:
Bullet-Magnet Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
I thought this would be about surveillance that the students would get to use.
:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
we should stop treating children like cattle.

All this is doing is preparing them for life in a police state.
:icontimlavey:
TimLavey Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
In order to not only get an idea, but an exact number, of how many students attend classes the teachers at my school have come up with this ingenious method of checking all attending students on a piece of paper, but I guess tracking devices works too.
:iconorangekrissy:
OrangeKrissy Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
They already have that in a way. Haven't you ever watched Person of Interest on cable or TV?
:iconmondu:
mondu Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Heh, good thinking on her part. "Mark of the Beast," indeed. I hope she wins.

Tracking -- invasion of privacy.
Add a Comment: