Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 22, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 26

2012 and still talks of martial law. Oh the consequences should it ever come to frution

:iconzigholtul88:
Zigholtul88 Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
For years and years there have been rumors (many of them exaggerated) of martial law coming into effect and call me naive but I would think that in this day and age, where people are becoming more infuriating and violent, that our government declaring martial law on this land would be really hard to do and enforcing it won't be easy. Many Americans are armed to the teeth and many of their soldiers (many of which have family members) aren't going to go along with this plan.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhustlerdu:
hustlerdu Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
I just don't really know why they would impose martial law, I don't see what stands to be gained, and it would beextremely difficult.
Zigholtul88 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Probably the most logic reason why such an event probably won't happen would have be from an economic standpoint. There's is basically no economy if every citizen were to be locked up. Now that I think about it, martial law nowadays would be the equivalent of drop a bomb on the United States? Only a complete psychopath would go along with it.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Question: Has ever in the history of America there have been an example of a national declaration of martial law? I mean not just one town having a goddamn fire or something and for a day the cops can bet up rioters type thing, I mean like NATIONAL level martial law. I don't think so. Canadians are more likely to declare martial law, which only happened 3 times in history.
:iconangelxxuan:
angelxxuan Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Professional Writer
I can see them casting martial law and making it stick. the government can do it, if others have done so in the past: cut the net off, cut the power off if they get too big and demanding, stop delivering things, shooting anyone who seems the least bit of a threat...yes I can see it happening with ease.
Zigholtul88 Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
While I can see it happening, if a good portion of the country is considered a threat (basically all the internet), wouldn't some of the soldiers stick up for the citizens. I fail to see the logic in having to exterminate over half your countries population. They can try and chances are they probably will succeed, but it would only lead to countries hating us more and more and if our government got power hungry they're no way they can take on the world without suffering any serious consequences. Resistance will always carry on and no amount of technological advancements will be able to prevent it.
:iconangelxxuan:
angelxxuan Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Professional Writer
it's happened in other countries, they don't agree or tired of the public and just kill them. the government and people will divide and help each other or kill each other, and within the world they will literally take out one another with high crime and "they" can't be everywhere so chaos would come about. kill out those who aren't puppets and then rule the people better if they obey and comply with the new world order.
:iconnovuso:
Novuso Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Could you cite which counties and time periods this happened in? I have studied up on a lot of dictatorships and tyranny states but never has there been a government that grew "tired of the public and just kill them." Not in NAZI Germany, not Soviet Union, not North Korea, not Iran, or anywhere. There may have been some madmen who wanted to just kill the entire population off but it was never even been tried let alone worked. Dictatorships normally single out some type of scape goat and then clamp down on the specific minority that is labeled the "enemy." Declare "everyone" the enemy and the government itself becomes the enemy.
:iconebolabearvomit:
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Angel isn't the brightest and gravitates towards fantasy
Zigholtul88 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
You seem to act like every single military soldier out their would go along with this plan, especially here in the states; they're still human and I cannot imagine that they would all agree to this, especially if the mere thought of shooting innocent civilians like friends and family members would horrify them. I happen to have a best friend of 11+ years,in the military and there's no way he would go for this. And many others are like this, its not like the government can simply flip on a light-switch and then suddenly they're rendered more as mindless killing machines. Sounds like some 1984/ Matrix sci-fi bs if you ask me.
:iconbullet-magnet:
Bullet-Magnet Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
That's just over-polarised politics inventing problems rather than addressing the myriad real ones. As usual.
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
:iconthis2plz:
:iconbullet-magnet:
Bullet-Magnet Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
You say that to me a lot.
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
You must be an awesome person then
:icondefense2:
defense2 Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
1) the US civilians aren't armed to the teeth. Any such stand off would end poorly for the civilian now terrorist as they would be bombed from 30,000 feet.

2) martial law hasnt been imposed in the US for a very long time. We didn't apply it during Katrina, we aren't applying it for the tiny riots we have today.
Zigholtul88 Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
From an economic standpoint I would figure that martial law, especially now in this day and age would cause more damage. This country is already considered a laughing stock by nearly everyone in the world and many Americans can attest to that.
Martial law would cause a great many problems, but it is a temporary measure. The movies and other media would have you think that martial law is a longer lasting thing, but it isn't for the exact reason of economics.
Novuso Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
1. Who is going to fly the planes to bomb American citizens? The pilots just won't follow those orders and historically soldiers never kill their own civilians. During the end of the USSR the communist government ordered the Red army to fire on the Perestroika movement. Red Army refused and that was the end of it. Governments that are not supported by a solid majority of the people fall pretty quickly when push comes to shove.

2. This is true but it is because of #1.
1) a solid majority of the US people support its government.

1.2) the pilots would most assuredly bomb the targets.

1.3) civilians picking up arms cease to be civilians and become hostiles.

2) No, martial law hasn't been imposed, because there hasn't been a need for it. Unlike what the media and the movies would have you think, there is no cabal to overthrow democracy in the US.
Novuso Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
1a. President Obama received 62.6 million votes while US population is 314 million or something. That is NOT a solid majority. Most people just go along to get along. They don't actually support anything least of all the government. Declaring martial law and dropping bombs on those people would wake them up quick and the 100 million gun owners would turn the countryside into the worlds largest firing range. It took ten years for the military to subdue Iraq a country of 31 million largely unarmed population. Coast to Coast would be impossible. It is just NOT possible and that doesn't even factor in large portions of the military going AWOL.

1b. Chances are the soldiers would be bombing their own neighborhoods. I think sonrouge said it best: (even Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union had to make secret police organizations for internal security because the regular military viewed internal security against their own people with disdain), the government would be biting off a lot more than it can chew if it tried... If you want a more recent example look at the Arab Spring. Mubarak of Egypt called in the military and is his regime collapsed the next day. What makes America would be any different.

1c. Governments taking up arms against their own citizens become illegitimate. Period.

2. Media and Movies tend to cover up and discredit the idea of Cabals even existing. It is only after years of independent research and study and learning to think outside of Satan's black box that I have come to see the reality of the conspiracies coming together.
defense2 Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
1a) If you do not go to the voting booth, you do not count.

1b) What makes the US any different? Because unlike Mubarak who tried to use the military to put down peaceful protest, you spoke of armed rebellion.

Like Syria, and like the US civil war. Our military will do as commanded and kill the armed rebels where ever they live.

1c) So you are saying that the US government is illegitimate because it fought the US civil war against a part of our population that took up arms against the US government?

2) No, you see conspiracies because they make life easy to understand... They give you an enemy, to fight. (a cartoon enemy at that)

There is no grand conspiracy, only individual acts of greed which are fostered by the society which is by nature greedy because it is created by man.
:iconndifference:
ndifference Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Professional Writer
I thought Obama was supposed to declare martial law to suspend the election. At least that's what our resident bedwetters predicted. Then again, even some lefties were crapping themselves about it back in '08. I guess the sky is continually falling around here.
:iconsonrouge:
sonrouge Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
With over eighty million gun-owners in the US (many of whom are ex-military), as well as a military that more than likely will not enforce martial law to the degree government would need it to be (even Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union had to make secret police organizations for internal security because the regular military viewed internal security against their own people with disdain), the government would be biting off a lot more than it can chew if it tried to go the dictatorship route. And even if the military did enforce it as it would need to be, it would still not be an easy task.

That being said, there are many other ways besides martial law for the government to take semi-dictatorial power. It can most certainly be said to have already done so if one knows what to look for, and unfortunately, many people, particularly on this forum, show little concern for such actions provided they are not the target of them.
:iconragerancher:
Ragerancher Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
The effectiveness of martial law would depend entirely on how the army stood on the issue. If they were entirely loyal to the government then they could enforce martial law quite effectively. If they were loyal to the population then it would be impossible. It would all depend on who had the best propaganda.
That's the thing, not all the soldiers will agree on this, they have a duty to protect our people from foreign AND domestic threats. While they are soldier, they're still human.
:iconendeavor-to-freefall:
The gap between citizen capability and military capability has only widened, imposing martial law would be more difficult now than in the past because we have the internet, nothing to do with weaponry.
Apparently the nut jobs are saying that we don't stand a chance even though this stunt would leave our government in an even bigger mess.
Add a Comment: