Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 21, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 102

how come the military doesnt use swords?

:icontheblademan235:
TheBladeMan235 Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
i seen katanas slice TANKS in half. guns are cool, but not as good as sowrds/

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkit-kat-ari:
kit-kat-ari Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Digital Artist
guns don't blow up. rule of cool, man
:iconyangfeili:
yangfeili Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
In the Battletech universe, they use swords and halberds to board and defend spaceships due to the risk of damaging fragile systems with stray shots from projectile weapons.
:iconrasec-wizzlbang:
Rasec-Wizzlbang Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
cause gunz
:iconslimt:
SlimT Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
as badass as it would be to have some chubby smaurai hacking his way through metal tanks, braided hair blowing in the wind as he deflected bullets and blood spattered across his mask....modern military simply isn't set up for it. even an argument could be made that swords have a place in the military we just don't roll that way.

a better question would be why did we ever move away from swords and towards guns. when we first started using them they were as likely to kill you as the other guy, and not even close to as accurate as a bow. the power i would guess was only marginally better if at all, but considering both could get the job done under any circumstance provided they connected the bows are vastly superior.

now a modern m16 i can understand being chosen over a sword. but a damn 1200's pistol over any other weapon? i just don't understand it.
:iconlord-meire:
Lord-Meire Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Student Digital Artist
The move to firearms was related to morale, the effect that a regiment of hand-cannoneers could have on the average-medieval-Joe was devastating. Most people had never even heard of gunpowder, a handful of shots was all it took to rout half the opposing army. Not to mention the effect it had on cavalry, even warhorses can be flighty if they don't know what to expect.
:iconunvalanced:
Unvalanced Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
They also required significantly less training. The British longbow, far superior to guns for a -very- long time after the introduction of guns, fell out of use because it required daily training.
:iconlord-meire:
Lord-Meire Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Student Digital Artist
That's just icing on the chocolate cake of victory.
:iconslimt:
SlimT Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
that makes sense.
:iconrobstrand:
RobStrand Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
Swords serve more of a ceremonial porous. In Calvary units it customary to wear a stetson, spurs and a sword.
:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
damn skippy
Add a Comment: