how come the military doesnt use swords?

i seen katanas slice TANKS in half. guns are cool, but not as good as sowrds/
Comments103
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
guns don't blow up. rule of cool, man
In the Battletech universe, they use swords and halberds to board and defend spaceships due to the risk of damaging fragile systems with stray shots from projectile weapons.
as badass as it would be to have some chubby smaurai hacking his way through metal tanks, braided hair blowing in the wind as he deflected bullets and blood spattered across his mask....modern military simply isn't set up for it. even an argument could be made that swords have a place in the military we just don't roll that way.

a better question would be why did we ever move away from swords and towards guns. when we first started using them they were as likely to kill you as the other guy, and not even close to as accurate as a bow. the power i would guess was only marginally better if at all, but considering both could get the job done under any circumstance provided they connected the bows are vastly superior.

now a modern m16 i can understand being chosen over a sword. but a damn 1200's pistol over any other weapon? i just don't understand it.
The move to firearms was related to morale, the effect that a regiment of hand-cannoneers could have on the average-medieval-Joe was devastating. Most people had never even heard of gunpowder, a handful of shots was all it took to rout half the opposing army. Not to mention the effect it had on cavalry, even warhorses can be flighty if they don't know what to expect.
They also required significantly less training. The British longbow, far superior to guns for a -very- long time after the introduction of guns, fell out of use because it required daily training.
That's just icing on the chocolate cake of victory.
that makes sense.
Swords serve more of a ceremonial porous. In Calvary units it customary to wear a stetson, spurs and a sword.
Because there are guns now. And guns are faster than swords - you can kill your enemy at long distance..
Well serious question or not - here's a serious and simple answer: Technology evolves over time and that includes what is used as weapons. Why use a weapon that requires you get get within just feet of a dangerous enemy for it to have any affect when you can blast them from a kilometer away with one of these :gun:

Go back to medievel times and I'm sure no-one asked "why are we using swords? why not just beat them to death with sticks" :slow:
And then everyone in the military died.
The end.
What kind of katana are you talking about? I'm pretty sure it's impossible to do something like that unless its in some cartoon or movie. Also, a soldier armed with a modern assault rifle can gun down someone with a sword before they ever get close to cutting them.
A penis would be the most effective weapon of all. Whip one out and the enemies will turn heels and run screaming for censorship and political correctness.
remember that part in indiana jones where the guy starts waving the sword in indy's face and swirling it around? And then indy whips out his pistol and shoots the guy?

That's why. No one wants to be the guy with the sword.
:iconidontknowplz: Maybe it's cause guns can be used farther away from your opponent?
Watch less Star Wars, yougling.
spears are better...ask those naked guys in 300
Katanas can also stop bullets, every anime and Kurosawa film ever has taught me this.
Anime contains nothing but the truth. Katanas in the hands of 15 year old schoolgirls are the most dangerous things possible. They've been known to deflect ICBMs.
When beheaded we spray gallons upon gallons of blood.