Closed to new replies
November 21, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 16

Nuclear weapons proliferation + Human Security + Iran

:iconamateurartist:
AmateurArtist Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
I need help! I am writing a dissertation regarding security studies (political studies) and I have hit a major major road block.

So initially my research question was: What is the effect of nuclear weapons proliferation on human security in Iran?

Today I realised (its stupid definitely!) that Iran does not have a confirmed nuclear arsenal. All the talk about nuclear Iran is actually more about its nuclear program. Not nuclear military program, but nuclear program. They claim this is for nuclear power. Other claim its for nuclear weapons. But I could not find a definite anywhere.

Unfortunately for me, my dissertation was heavily relying on a definite nuclear weapons program.. rather definite nuclear weapons (full stop). I was hoping to be able to discuss the different aspects of nuclear weapons proliferation I was interested in (i.e. research, development, testing and detonation). Then discuss human security and how it is defined. And then finally, find examples in Iran where any part of the nuclear weapons proliferation process violates human security expectations (freedom from fear and freedom from want).

If there is anyone who knows anything about this and would be able to help me out. And maybe discuss this with me so that I can find a way to rectify this and finish my dissertation. I will be ever so appreciative.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconamateurartist:
AmateurArtist Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
Thanks for all the input. I ended up changing my dissertation topic: Should the Trident programme be renewed: a human security perspective.
:icondefense2:
defense2 Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
Does Iran have nuclear material? Does Iran have nuclear waste? If so, it has a nuclear dirty bomb.

Take radioactive waste like bits of metal, warp around an explosive and detonate in the air above a block.... Chunks of radioactive material impregnates the buildings and forces you to tear the buildings down so to remove the radioactive material.

There for if you have any nuclear program, you have nuclear weapon.
:iconcouchycreature:
CouchyCreature Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I guess one area of nuclear to investigate might be the security of fissionable material since the dissolution of the USSR. How much is not accounted for, who has it, what type of security is undertaken to protect it.
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I was unaware any proliferation was needed considering Iran is 90% likely to not be developing nukes.
:icontheredsnifit:
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
I'm not sure where you're getting that number. The last time I checked, the IAEA couldn't give a definitive answer, since Iran wasn't letting them into all of their enrichment centers and the like.
[link]
"Iran is not providing
the necessary cooperation, including by not implementing its Additional Protocol, the Agency is
unable to provide credible assurance about the absence of undeclared nuclear material and activities in
Iran, and therefore to conclude that all nuclear material in Iran is in peaceful activities."
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Either way Iran is surely aware of how stupidly suicidal it would be to develop a nuclear program with the aim of throwing a few warheads and then get destroyed by a nation that's willing to annihilate the entire planet over an egotistical belief they are the chosen people if they were threatened with complete destruction.
On the other hand, it's entirely possible, if not likely, that the religious fanatics that run Iran are willing to accept massive casualties if it means annihilating the Jewish state.
oh goody, in two posts we've jumped from nobody knowing about Irans nuclear capabilities to religious fanaticism against jews. Nice work.
Complain to the guy I'm arguing with. I'm merely presenting an anti-thesis to his statement that Israel consists of a bunch of religious fanatics who plan to destroy the world at moment's notice.

I do hope that jumping to conclusions isn't the only exercise you get.
it was an observation, not a complaint.
Add a Comment: