Taking the High Ground

I want to start this by stating 1. Im a Jew (though in no way devout) and 2. Im for the existence of Israel.

However, unlike way too many people; Im willing to find fault in BOTH sides in the present conflict going on in Israel.

Bibi has allied himself with Israeli extremists, fanatics from the settlements, and a most unholy alliance with the American Radical Christian Right.

Hamas, of course, needs no explanation.

These two sides want nothing more than death and destruction and innocents are in the crossfire.

As a Jew, I feel its my duty to stand up against injustice, even if that means against my own people. I feel that both belligerents need to be removed from power on both sides and reasonable people will come through. Palestinians are not Hamas, Israelis are not Likud (in an example for the latter, the IDF followed through with a court order to remove settlers despite attacks from said settlers and Bibi trying to appeal it)

What happens to me then is that Im attacked for not siding with a side. By Palestinians, Im still a Zionist. To my fellow Jews, Ive been called "Judenraut" or worse.

My questions to you are this:

1. Is there more than the one solution that will bring us to mutually assured destruction?

2. Why do people attack those who take the high road?
Comments16
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I agree. In the end, this conflict will be an eye for an eye. Endless in death and infinite in suffering.
It doesnt have to be though
It does not. And I would never want it to be. Yet, as we both know, neither side will take the moral high ground and no compromise will be made. The thought of how to fix this oppresses me right now. I want to help, just trying to figure out how.
Until a generation of more within both camps says "ENOUGH" loud enough to drown out the warmongers, it will be.

Until then, we need to add outside pressure.
Accordingly, the pressure shall be added. :handshake:
COMMENCE THE JEWISH GUILT!

A battalion of peace loving Bubbes chastising Israeli politicians etc for warmongering would be interesting and amusing
And you have made my day.
View all replies
Yes I agree. When both sides have extreme positions, there can be no compromise and without compromise, there can be no peace. ('Give peace a chance' as John Lennon would say) [link]
Agreed; and it sickens me that in Israel, peace activists are being threatened by the ultra orthodox
1. Is there more than the one solution that will bring us to mutually assured destruction?

Yes, there is. Colonel Qaddafi of all people recommended a one-state solution, with a nation including both Palestinians and Israelis. There's also the much-touted two-state solution, but I have serious doubts about its viability.

The problem, as I see it, is Israel cannot quit its occupation and/or continual interference with the Palestinian territories because of (a) continuing attacks on Israel from the Gaza Strip and (b) the strategic peril created by a withdrawal from the West Bank. In addition, many of Israel's neighbors (Lebanon and Syria being the worst) refuse to integrate "refugee" Palestinians into their territories. I'm not sure as to the reason behind this policy, but it seems that angry Palestinians in camps, still focused on Israel, are preferable to integrated citizens who might side with domestic dissent. Remember that PLO elements in Jordan tried to overthrow the government there.

Beyond these core problems are four additional difficulties. First, Israel keeps electing right-wing parties that apparently prefer to steamroll Palestinian interests in favor of expanding settlements. Second, Hamas has control over the Gaza Strip, and they seem to prefer sacrificing their own people in order to gain a few propaganda points. They have no interest in peace whatsoever, unless Israel capitulates to their demands without a guarantee that rocket attacks will end (not going to happen). Third, the PLO has shown incredible incompetence and misplaced priorities, the reason for Hamas winning Gaza in the first place. Fourth, Israel's unflinching commitment to a strong front, while it may keep them safe from another war, also causes large amounts of anger and distrust. Assassinating people on foreign soil and violating other nation's territory, however justified or unjustified, angers those outside Israel.

It seems to me that a Palestinian state is not viable in the near future. However, Israel cannot continually military occupation and/or aggression. Continually policing and harassing a hostile people will do nothing for peace. I propose that Egypt annex the Gaza Strip and Israel annex the West Bank. Israel will then offer the Palestinians living in the West Bank full citizenship. Those who refuse will be offered generous resources to establish themselves in friendly nations (preferably nearby nations). Palestinians living in neighboring Arab nations will be offered the same deal. Once this process is completed, the U.S. will gradually diminish military aid to Israel, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey, so as to decrease the funding available for war.

Is that going to happen? No, probably not. Is it workable? I can see a lot of roadblocks that would make it very difficult, but then again, what isn't difficult when it comes to this conflict?

2. Why do people attack those who take the high road?

Many in Israel and the Palestinian territories are understandably in a siege mentality. You're not exactly going to be reasonable with the feeling of a knife at your throat, are you? In addition, there are quite a few misinformed people on both sides. There seem to be a few jingoistic people outside Israel chasing a mirage of Israeli dominance of the whole region, who would rather be right than find peace. I've also seen quite a few anti-Semitic wackos well-integrated and welcomed on the pro-Palestinian side.
Agreed on all counts.
Come now, this is the Israeli-Palestinian conflict! Shouldn't you be threatening to throw chairs at me?
What reason should I have to do so?

Lately Ive been wanting to throw chairs more at what's supposed to be "my side" for basically saying the same BS as Hamas. All they are doing is switching words around.