Closed to new replies
November 19, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 253

Wal Mart Black Friday Strike

:iconferricplushy:
FerricPlushy Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
So apparently there are plan protests/strikes/walk outs at over 1000 wal-marts coming this black friday. What are your feeling about unskilled, uneducated workers demanding more pay, full time shifts, benefits, etc?

I'd like responders to state whether or not they've ever worked at wal-mart. Personally I can tell you wal mart is very underhanded at times. I understand unskilled labor shouldn't pay very well, but don't give us a fucking packet about our benefits since virtually no one get's benefits.

There is persistent pressure to skip your breaks in order to work, even though breaks are mandatory. I've been forced to discuss current work during lunch even though managers strictly forbid it during orientation.

You will never, ever get a fulltime shift, this is in order to prevent any worker receiving benefits. Any requests to alter you shift will go largely ignored, even if it's for school or another job.

I was put on the sales associate pay scale but forced to work cashier and inventory which pay more, essentially screwing me out of every possible cent.

At one point work hours were slashed by 4000 one month, half the people quit, anyone remaining was scheduled to work 8 hours a week.

Basically wal-mart is very underhanded and has no respect for its employees, but I don't think unskilled workers should make enough to support a family, but I do think at the fucking least you schedule people full time not 32 hours a week and give the benefits you taunt them with during orientation.

Since I know there are a lot of dissenting twats that refuse to believe anything they disagree with, here is a news story about it [link]

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
not paid enough for minimum wage?

doing something about it?

more power to them.

I am waiting for someone to come in, talk about "free labor", speak about how no one is pointing a gun to their heads making them work, and then bitch when they don't show up for work, with shitty pay and conditions.
:iconmagusthelofty:
I say best of luck to them. The workers may be unskilled and uneducated, as you put, but they deserve to be treated like human beings.
I've heard for years that Wal-mart treats their employees poorly, which is why I rarely shop there.
:iconmachine-intellectual:
Machine-Intellectual Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I love this, it's great because Wal-mart is awful, it feeds off the lower class and exploits them.
:iconsherberttcat:
SherbertTCat Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Honestly, I wish people who just made word soup out of hyperbole and buzz-words got bricked in the face.
:iconmachine-intellectual:
Machine-Intellectual Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Can't make everybody happy.
:iconsnuffles11:
snuffles11 Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well, tonight is Black Friday for me. 8:30pm-6am shift in Electronics at Target. I hope that Wal-Mart here is open, or we'll get the crazies that usually go there instead. :( I don't need that. I'm already not getting a Thanksgiving so I can sleep through the afternoon and be awake for my shift- I don't need a crazy stupid night too.
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm sorry to hear that :( Good luck- I hope you got to eat dinner with your friends and family earlier.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Nov 21, 2012
Walmart probably won't give a shit. Walmart is so big they can close down every store in America and make a profit from China.

The only reason they stick around i guess is because the executives are soft on their native homeland.
:iconladydeven:
LadyDeven Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The nice thing about walmart, each store is different. And some of them actually treat there employees well. You must have got stuck at a terrible one, or you are young and was heavily influenced by the negative.
:iconferricplushy:
FerricPlushy Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
I haven't met a single person who worked at walmart and had anything nice to say about it. I'm talking people from all over the country
Add a Comment: