Closed to new replies
November 18, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 113

Should Texas seceed? a simple proposal

:iconhopeira9:
hopeira9 Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
I say we just have one big vote. About 6 months or maybe a year from now (long enough for people to become educated about issues and maybe long enough for butthurt from the election to go away), we, as a people, have a vote. Just a 'yes' 'no' for Texas secession. If No is the majority, then it's settled, no more discussion of this, we as a people have decided to stay. If it comes out to 'Yes', THEN we do what we can to ensure Texas secession on account of the peoples wishes. No government bull crap, no politics, no representatives, just us.
Agree? Disagree? Thoughts in general?

Devious Comments

:iconnamenotrequired:
namenotrequired Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Student Interface Designer
:lock: at request of the OP.
:iconmagusthelofty:
MagusTheLofty Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
If they want to secede, let them. The next hurricane that destroys their shores, they'll come running back to the US for help anyway.
Plus it'll save the US Govt on taxes. Example:
For every $1 NJ gives the govt, they get $0.75 back.
For Texas every $1 they give they gets $1.50.
They'll miss that return.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
If Texas wants to succeed they should at least do half the work the Bloc Quebecois do (the separatist party up until recently was actually the 4rth biggest political party in Canada and held power)
:iconrandomxeno:
RandomXeno Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Why not? I would be fun to see Mexico test their luck and annex them =P
:iconkitsumekat:
kitsumekat Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Yes.
:iconzagstrike:
ZaGstrike Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Texas would probably exist as an impoverished and embargoed nation for a couple of months, then next thing you know the weaken ass and gun lax government would end up being overthrown by a highly armed and extremist insurgency made from hungry hillbillies that would usher in the oppressive and xenophobic reign they've always wanted, taliban style.
:iconragerancher:
Ragerancher Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Op op op Taliban style
ZaGstrike Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
Heeeeeeey, sexy goateh!
:iconnovuso:
Novuso Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
I agree with the concept but only Texans should be allowed to vote on the fate of Texas. Other states may want to secede as well. Self determination is one of the natural laws. To deny self determination is a violation of human rights. Make the election 1 year from now so next November. Account and adhere to the will of the people: Yes or No.

Given the option Texas would certainly elect to secede. On the other hand the "union" is gaining Peurto Rico. [link] Both liberals and conservatives should be happy with this outcome.
:iconcouchycreature:
CouchyCreature Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
"Given the option Texas would certainly elect to secede."

There is so much interest there in seccession.

That is why the petition asking for it to happen has about 110,000 signatures compared to the 26,000,000 million people who live in Texas. If I used my calculator correctly that equates to about 0.4%

A noisy 0.4% does not compare to 99.6%
:iconmgonzales041090:
mgonzales041090 Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Ironically, in the event a secession takes place, Austin requested to cede from Texas and remain part of the United States. O_O
:iconnovuso:
Novuso Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
Actually it was just one person from Austin who wanted to cede from Texas and then other people signed on to it. That one person could just move to one of the liberal states. On the flip side lots of conservatives will be moving to Texas in the event of succession. I know because am one of them.
:iconmgonzales041090:
mgonzales041090 Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Please don't. It's crowded here as it is... >.>;;
:iconincandescentinsanity:
IncandescentInsanity Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student General Artist
All those people signing those petitions are literally babies
:icontacosteev:
tacosteev Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist
Literally babies? Didn't know infants could write their names. I think you mean figuratively...
:iconincandescentinsanity:
IncandescentInsanity Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student General Artist
My rampant misuse of the word "literally" has been called out! Curses!

They are mentally children if they seriously believe that they can secede from the United States. They are even more naive if they believe they can function as their own country. All because their favorite candidate didn't win. They're throwing a temper tantrum
That's right. I am grammar-nazi!

The extent of their butt hurt is never ending it seems.
:iconhopesick:
Hopesick Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Here's my hypothetical scenario for the formation of the Republic of Texas:

A statewide voter referendum to secede passes by a narrow margin, within twenty-four hours, and before the RoT government can do anything about it, there is a mass exodus of civilians and active duty military personnel who are still loyal to the United States. The military personnel take every piece of equipment and heavy weaponry they can carry, including the heavy armor in Fort Hood, strategic bombers from Dyess AFB, and aircraft training personnel from Shepperd AFB and Joint Base San Antonio. The civilians who evacuate are mostly educated, well-off liberals who have both the inclination and resources to make such a trip. So the immediate aftermath of secession is brain drain and military impotence in the face of an American government and populace that is overwhelmingly hostile to the idea of a state seceding from the Union. The economy also takes a dive after imports and exports in the United States are cut off and the United States Navy blockades the gulf coast.

My guess is, it'll be over within a few months, and the United States Military may not even have to fire a shot.
:iconstephenl:
StephenL Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
Or they will join Mexico as part of that country?
:iconabcat:
AbCat Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012   Writer
If the US invaded Iraq on the pretext of disarming Saddam Hussein, at a cost of $800 billion and the not so small matter of 4500 casualties, to secure its oils supplies, what are the chances that it will let its most oil rich state quietly leave the Union? It's more than a slim chance - it's a fat chance.
Alaska has more oil than Texas.
:iconabcat:
AbCat Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012   Writer
I actually looked that up beforehand, and according to the only source I could find, Texas came out on top. [link]

Even if it is second to Alaska, that source may be off after all, that's still a lot of oil that is not going to be changing nationality any time soon.
:iconshidaku:
Shidaku Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
No.

If they do we should crush them to show them just how powerless they are without us. I think Texas is in need of democracy wouldn't you agree?

Might as well conquer Canada while we're at it.
Really reminds me of this clip: [link]
:iconebolabears:
EbolaBears Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
Nope.
Mob rule is dismissed for what it is, garbage.
No vote is needed.

Texas is a part of the union and that's the way it will remain.
:iconslimt:
SlimT Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
for once i agree whole heartedly with you.
:iconsherberttcat:
SherbertTCat Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
They'll be without a formal military, a postal service, government funded schools, and whether Texans want to admit it or not, several of the government aid programs that a good number of their own rely on. Essentially they would be begging to be let back into the US, and be forever stripped of that "Everything in Texas is better!" bravado.
:iconkoko231:
koko231 Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
States tried to secede before....it didn't blow over very well. I personally think it is an idiotic move to even ask for such a thing. But that's just me. :meow:
:icontempusnexus:
TempusNexus Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Texas should not secede. Doing so would be political suicide, and they would not last a year without the U.S . More importantly, they cannot secede. Legislation was passed after the Civil war, so it isn't an option anymore.
If a state wants to secede, do you think they care about US law?
:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
If they want to secede without observing the law, there would be war. Do you think Texas can stand up to America?
Again, if they want to be their own country they don't really care about the law of another.

There doesn't even have to be war. They wouldn't be able to sustain their economy and won't survive as a country. They would come back to the Union without a shot needing to be fired.
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
If you try to peacefully sucede without observing American law, you'd end up in this strange area where America considers Texas part of America, but Texas considers themselves a new country.
ZaGstrike Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
"America considers Texas part of America, but Texas considers themselves a new country."

Isn't that already the way it is now?
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
It's sorta like ' we want to be our own country'
:icontempusnexus:
TempusNexus Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Not really. But there isn't a system in place for them to secede. If Texas tried to secede, they would still be viewed and classified as a State. If they cared about their appearance, and the validity of their independent Nation, they'd be screwed. If not, oh well.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
If by "we" you mean Texans, then Texans don't have the right to make that decision for themselves.
:iconpsowill:
PSOWILL Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
:) if you want Texas to rejoin Mexico in a week.
We can fend for ourselves quite fine
:iconebolabears:
EbolaBears Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
No, you cannot.
With a population of 2.7 mil (although, granted it would drop due to exodus), i think we can organize a militia until something more substantial comes into place
PSOWILL Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
:rofl:
PSOWILL Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
No we can't. We can't even get the Cartels out of Laredo :lmao:
This is a thread about whether or not to have the proposed vote, not the morality or legality of the issue!!!
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
If it's not legal, then what's the point of the vote?
To see if this idea of secession is in the minority or majority
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Suceeding is just a bunch of republitard dominated states having a temper tantrum bitch fit over the fact Romney didn't win. They'll forget about it once they remember they hate gay marriage.
#1. Please no slandering :| it makes it so much harder to take anybody seriously. #2. There are separate reasons for secession than just the re-election of Obama.
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Like?
For instance, Bush's Anti-terrorist act, Obama's mandatory health care (it would be different if it weren't mandatory), over-regulation and over-taxation of businesses, and gun control (just you watch, there will be a day not long from now when the American citizen won't be able to own a gun). Several others that i can't think of at the moment as well.
Want me to just start a list of grievances or something?
Add a Comment: