Closed to new replies
November 17, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 219

The Congressional Black Caucus

:icontbschemer:
[link]
As far as I can tell, the only reason for the Congressional Black Caucus to exist is to protect incompetent and criminal members of the US federal government who happen to have a certain shade to their skin. [link] Maxine Waters is probably the most racist member of Congress right now, yet she keeps getting reelected because black racism against whites is popular these days. [link]

Why do we continue to allow this blatantly racist congressional caucus to exist? All it is now is a symbol of racial tensions. How can we ever achieve the dream of a colorblind society if African Americans continue to group themselves according to their race?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconoutsidelogic:
outsidelogic Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
"Why do we continue to allow this blatantly racist congressional caucus to exist?"

So is a Libertarian proposing that we ban the formation of ethnically based caucuses? That seems inconsistent with Libertarian philosophy. Regardless of whether they are really racists or not, surely we have to let them have the right to form a group...? They are then free to marginalize themselves.
I'm not proposing we ban ethnically-based caucuses. I'm proposing we make it politically costly to be a part of them. No congressperson should be able to join a blatantly racist caucus without receiving a heaping of scorn.

The fact that people turn a blind eye to these racist caucuses, but would most certainly cry racism if a similar caucus were formed for whites is a clear indication of the inherent anti-white racism that persists in the subtexts of our society. Our country is descending into pure tribalism.
:iconoutsidelogic:
outsidelogic Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
"...we make it politically costly to be a part of them." Can't we do that already? Just by voting? I guess I'm trying to figure out what type of change you are advocating. Or are you just trying to get people to understand that caucuses based on ethnicity are divisive forces?
Yes, exactly. I'm advocating that people actually consider this factor when they vote, and drop the racial double-standard in how they view these sorts of organizations. Membership in the Congressional Black Caucus should lose a candidate just as many votes as would membership in a Congressional White Caucus, if it existed.
:iconsonrouge:
sonrouge Nov 25, 2012
You'll love this TBS:

[link]

And before anyone whines, this is satire.
lol
Democrats rushed to conduct conference calls over this new development worried about the consequences of continuing to use the racist English language. Some called for staffing the Democratic Party entirely with illiterates, while others argued that such a measure would be entirely redundant.
:iconndifference:
ndifference Nov 25, 2012  Professional Writer
Just to be clear, is it the very idea of the CBC that irks you, or just this current crop of members?
I think the current members of the CBC are exactly the sort of people you would expect to gravitate towards that sort of racially-defined organization.

The very existence of the CBC is racially discriminatory, and its operations carry out a severe disservice to this nation by promoting race-based policy, making it harder and harder for the law to be blind to the color of the people it is governing.
:iconndifference:
ndifference Nov 25, 2012  Professional Writer
Do you feel the same way about all caucuses that pursue common legislative objectives based on ethnicity, such as the Hispanic Caucus, the Asian Pacific American Caucus, the Czech Caucus, Friends of Norway Caucus, Friends of Switzerland Caucus, etc.?
Add a Comment: