Closed to new replies
November 16, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 312

Violent video games

:iconturkevulture:
TurkEvulture Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
With the mass killing in Norway still in our memory, we as a population are left uneasy, totally wary of another such attack. With violent video games on the market and in many, many houses, violent video games seem the be the killer's training technique. So I ask the question: should violent video games, realistic first-person shooters like Call of Duty, be outlawed? And what kind of an effect do you think realistic shooters have on kids?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontempusnexus:
TempusNexus Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
There isn't a tangible and sustainable link between Video games and murder. Most of the most famous killers in history lived in a time before the modern FPS. The way violence works now is a product of a shifting society, not a rise in FPS games.
:iconmondu:
mondu Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Do you have evidence that links violent games to violent behavior?
:iconbolainmarsh11:
bolainmarsh11 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
According to me, violent video games should not be allowed. Most of these video games only teach violence to our kids.
:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
then we should ban religion. By your logic, its inspired more killings than anything else.

your from pakistan, tell me, who kills more people, die hard video gamers, or die hard religious followers?

Who lies more?

Who gives false testimony against their fellow man more?

who really steals more?

who threatens more people?

At least video gamers know the game is fiction, and it ends when you turn it off.
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
Yes, but the argument to ban religion is actually valid.
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well said.
:iconcometcolt:
CometColt Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I certainly don't think so. In fact, contrary to popular belief, statistics show that since the arrival of violent video games, crime has actually dropped by at least 10%. Only a psycho would be inspired by a video game to go kill people. The thing is, though, it's usually these guys who make the headlines and give gamers and violent games a bad name.
:iconmosobot64:
mosobot64 Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Student General Artist
Well, statistics show that since all the folks that went gaga over the releases of Halo 3 and Halo Reach didn't go out an kill people, since we're actually chatting on the internet about one crazy guy as opposed to bathing in blood as a result of all the Halo-fueled serial killers out in the world.

Seriously, if there was any truth to your statement whatsoever, we should have been seeing a 1000% increase in serial killers over the last decade or so.

Crazies are made by mental crippling, not art. (And yes, video games are art.)
:iconzazill:
Zazill Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Not a 1000% increase in serial killers, but in killers with the intent of completing a killing spree, since your're mostly awarded for your kill streak in FPS games
mosobot64 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Student General Artist
Got the stats for that?
'Cause otherwise you're just speaking in favour of potentially crippling an art form.
Zazill Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Actual data, nope, pulled that out of my ass:moon: But I'm an FPS Lan-er :typerhappy: myself. Yes it would be in favor, but I was trying to make a good point. :nuu:
mosobot64 Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student General Artist
Devil's Advocate, I guess?
has there really been an increase in spree killers, or are you taking two related concepts from an FPS, and symptoms of a spree killer.

I'd love to see you try and prove this, other than throwing out abstractions and similarities, because this can be used to link various other things to crime, that are never erstwhile presented.

I also hate to break it to you, but there have been spree killers long before violent video games, and there is nothing that suggest that they have become more prevalent since the advent or popularization of video games.

In fact, crime, especially violent crime has dropped dramaticly since the introduction of violent video games to the masses. Uncorrelated, but it'd be really hard to prove otherwise.

Link to wikipedia which sites the US department of Justice
[link]

according to the chart, violent crime peaked right in the mid ninteen nineties, right before violent video games became mainstream, then has made a sharp drop off every year since.

While it certainly doesn't prove that violent video games reduce violent crimes, it does prove overall, that our society is not more violent because of violent video games, and makes a strong case that they are not responsible for shootings.
Zazill Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Wou wou, slow the fuck down. I play a shit load of fps games myself. I was just saying that if it was in any way possible for fps games to influence violent crimes, that spree killings would have been on the rise. I'll remember next time not to pull theories out of my ass :worship:
:icontb-samurai:
TB-Samurai Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
None at all. I have been playing violent games since I was eight years old, and now I'm 26. I don't mind killing someone in a game, because they are just pixels and not real people. I would never kill someone in real life just because I killed imaginary people in a game.
:iconmachine-intellectual:
Machine-Intellectual Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Hey man, I'm sitting here playing video games about killing people and blowing shit up. You know what I get from it? Better reaction time, pattern recognition, and I'm a stress free most of the time. Where's my media attention?
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Why does no one consider the issue might be shitty parents? If a kid is being left to play video games all day, their home life is probably a little fucked.

I played Mortal Kombat since I was six and I haven't assaulted a single person. I think I'm doing it wrong.
it might occur to you, that the people who get behind these inane statements are over obsessive parents middle class parents with entitlement issues who can't even fathom they might be wrong about anything.
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Why are you hating on the middle class?
:iconmgonzales041090:
mgonzales041090 Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I have, though it has nothing to do with video games.
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Fair enough.
:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I was 11 when Doom came out. I thought it was the cooles thing ever, and played it lots. I really loved it, I made my own levels and stuff.

Now, I'm a broken old man. I can't get satsifaction in life unless I go out every day and blow up some exploding barrels with a rocket launcher. I have to murder at least a dozen innocent demons with a chainsaw every week or I get depressed. I'm addicted to berserk paks, 6 a day habit and it's only getting worse.

Thanks, Doom, you ruined my life.
:iconmachine-intellectual:
Machine-Intellectual Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
That sounds amazing, you sir are my god now.
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
"With violent video games on the market and in many, many houses, violent video games seem the be the killer's training technique"
any proof of this?

Correlation Does Not Imply Causation @ wikipedia.
[link]

no?

You want censorship based on pure rhetoric. Are you going to throw "think of the children" out there.

Also, if you want to apply your logic, we can many mainstream groups for far larger body counts.

I think your emotionalistic based drivel is disgusting.

Can I ban you for making asinine comments that restrict the freedom of speech of others?
:iconemmique:
Emmique Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
All I am going to say about this, is games have an age rating, it is there for a reason.
This also prevents "kids" from buying said violent video games. That's where parents come in...

You know, I was at my local game shop just the other day.
There were 2 young boys, that looked to be no older than 8 or 9, after buying the new Black Ops and Halo 4, this, is the problem.

When I was that age I was playing Pokemon, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and SSX, why? I actually had a parent that cared, and who wouldn't allow FPSs.

It is NOT the game its self.

Also, I do not see how twiddling your thumbs with a controller will train you to become a serial killer, as it would most likely decrease your physical strength, and you probably can't get a hold of the weapons if you're a kid playing video games.
Also the guys motivation was NOT video games, as has been mentioned several times in earlier posts.
When I was that age, I was playing DOOM, looking at Pixelated boobies in Duke Nuken 3D, as I shot, exploded, and swore my way through aliens, LAPD members turned swine, a whole host of political incorrect pop culture refrences.

Then I saw shadow warrior(same company), and it was 10x the ridicolousness.

All the nerds of my generation did, and the worst persons of our generation were not the gamers.

I'm sad to see your parents didn't allow you to play the best games of your era, but it certainly would have not hurt you.
:iconxternal7:
xTernal7 Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
GTA is 18+.
16+ for CoD.

Yeah, kids playing these games is parenting done right.
TurkEvulture Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
Parenting done right?? Are you fucking kidding me?? Get out of here you pathetic joke.
(seriously, I hope you're joking.)
if anyone is a joke its you, and your free speech restricting drivel.

You've made an argument that holds no water, so stop yelling at people who don't want to go to jail for playing the wrong video games because you don't like it, and can't wrap your mind around the fact there is a world larger than your own.

The notion of video games causing violence is best left with the notions of the NWO run by FDR, homosexuals raping your children, and the international jew conspiracy that did 9/11.

They all have one thing in common, is their end goal is to restrict your rights.

in the dustbin of history with all of them, and you.
:iconxternal7:
xTernal7 Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I see your sarcasm meter does a woeful job.
:iconangelxxuan:
angelxxuan Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Professional Writer
sadly, people are born violent or they are born not. I played many violent video games in my time and still do, I'm not running around dragging people out of their cars beating them with a baseball bat and driving off with their car, however, there are those who do which are born. somewhere in their genetic makeup is a psychopath and they blame violent video games as the reasoning. what about all these violent movies, are they to blame as well? I can remember many slasher flicks out there that I've seen, but at camp I didn't unleash a violent attack upon my fellow campers. so why not blame movies while we're at it, oh oh let's blame music too, so much violence in there too. oh oh the news too, seen a guy recently shot his head off on live tv ! seriously, people need to look at the kid, don't smother it, don't spoil it, and don't buy these things. most do have a rating system, maybe the parent/guardian should be to blame some as well? some kids are going to do this regardless, what about those who have gone on mass killing sprees and not once played a violent video game, music or movie?
:icontheredsnifit:
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
Reminds me of an article I read a while back claiming that the Joker in The Dark Knight was an example of media making people violent, while they cited earlier movie portrayals of him, where he's shown in a comical fashion, as proof. It was absurd though: the Joker isn't shown as a raging sociopath in TDK because Nolan's trying to brainwash us all, it's because cultural tastes have changed. People don't want the comical old joker anymore, they want a sadistic serial killer one.

The point here being that culture drives the media, not the other way around. We get a ton of military shooters because that's what people want. One day, non-violent games will be in vogue, and nobody will care about CoD or anything. 'Tis just the way it works.
"We get a ton of military shooters because that's what people want. One day, non-violent games will be in vogue, and nobody will care about CoD or anything. 'Tis just the way it works."
All the most popular games have always been violent.

Before CoD, it was doom, before doom, it was Duke Nukem 1 and 2, Grand Theft Auto 1 and 2(from the early 90s), and before that in 1985 we had our favorite italian plumbers running around the sewers stomping turtles, walking mushrooms, eating opium, PCP, and magic mushrooms, all beating there way all the way to beat the shit out of the turtle kings.

Before that was pacman running through an ill-lit maze chomping his enemies, and popping pills, while listening to bad techno music.

Don't forget galaga, where the first contact we had with aliens was to shoot them with laser beams.

There was always games like tetris, trade wars, computerized board games, and scrabble, but they have never been as popular.

Before violent video games, there were violent movies, and before that, violent novels, and comics.

Before that, when kids you know, went outside, they played "war", and "cowboys and indians", again more violent games, simulating plenty of killing.
:iconmclandis:
Mclandis Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
The original joker was a psychopath to begin with, so the article is wrong on multiple levels.
:icontheredsnifit:
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
Well, yeah, but compare Nolan's Joker to the ones from the '90s.
:iconbohobella:
bohobella Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Of course. Ever since I started playing Grand Theft Auto, I just can't control myself. There are like twenty stolen cars on my lawn. Throwing people out of their own cars gives me a rush, the kind of rush that can only be compared to killing prostitutes after they restore my health completely. Unnnghh.
mosobot64 Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Student General Artist
Careful moderator, sarcasm is not very effective here!
:iconbohobella:
bohobella Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
What?
mosobot64 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student General Artist
The OP blew up on somebody using sarcasm earlier. :P
:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I wonder how did people ever manage to kill each other before video games were invented.

Poor Hitler, can't even imagine the troubles he had, getting all those soldiers to kill millions of people without the help of video games... they must have been all like, "how does this work, I can't possibly know how to kill people because an interactive entertainment experience hasn't taught me to do it".

Hmm, I wonder how those guys in the 100 years war did it. Maybe they used violent puppet shows?
:iconartman40:
Artman40 Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Bathubs and sharks kill more people per year than violent video games.
:iconscnal:
Scnal Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Coconuts kill more than sharks.
:iconthisismyboat:
thisismyboat Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I know vending machines kill more than sharks, but I think they also kill more than coconuts.
Scnal Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Deaths by sharks in 2011 (a year that was specifically high, I believe) = 17

(By an anecdotal source, admittedly) Deaths by coconuts per year = 150
:iconthisismyboat:
thisismyboat Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Oh, sorry, I meant I think vending machines also kill more than coconuts. Apparently I was wrong though. Vending machines kill about 2-3 people in the states per year, which ends up being more than sharks when you look at it over time since there are a lot of years that no one died from shark attacks.
Artman40 Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
Humans eat way more sharks than sharks eat humans.
It's like banks robbing people much more than people robbing banks.
"It's like banks robbing people much more than people robbing banks."

I laughed pretty hard when I saw this
Scnal Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
In capitalist America, bank robs you.
Artman40 Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
Not only there, unfortunately.
TurkEvulture Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
I didn't violent video games were KILLING people...I think that they have the potential to be used as training devices, though.
Add a Comment: