why does Israel always seem to launch attacks into Palestine a couple of months before an election?

Israel has killed the Hamas military leader in a targeted rocket attack in Gaza. [link]

"Israel confirmed it had targeted Ahmed Jaabari in an air strike on a car in Gaza City, warning it was only the start of an operation to target militant groups which was launched as the Jewish state prepares for general elections in January."

"Following the strike that killed Jaabari and his bodyguard, Israel pounded the strip with more than 20 others, killing another five people, two of them children, and wounding at least 45, Hamas health ministry spokesman Ashraf al-Qudra said.

The air strikes capped five days of rising tension in and around Gaza, which saw Israel killing seven Palestinians and militants firing more than 120 rockets over the border, injuring eight."

"Israeli army spokeswoman Avital Leibovich said the air strikes were just the start of an operation targeting Gaza militants and had been authorised by Chief of Staff Lieutenant General Benny Gantz"

"Israel's last major operation in Gaza began at the end of December 2008, just six weeks shy of general elections, when troops embarked on a 22-day campaign which led to the deaths of 1,400 Palestinians -- half of them civilians -- and 13 Israelis, 10 of them soldiers."

Are the Palestinians just fodder for Israeli elections...lets show how tough we are on Palestinian terrorists so we will bolster our vote?
Comments213
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
:lock: by request of OP. :)
Out of 650 rocket launches, only 28 have actually hit resdiential area,.This is due mainly to the "Iron dome" defence system which was largley funded by the United states. Thank you USA, you have saved many civilians lives.
could I suggest you go and talk about 'iron dome' in the thread created to talk about 'iron dome' - [link]
Thanks aside, the US gets first dibs on a proven system. It was a calculated investment more than anything else.
could I suggest you go and talk about 'iron dome' in the thread created to talk about 'iron dome' - [link]
Gazan groups fired over 100 rockets and mortars at Israeli cities and towns. A barrage against Sderot, timed to coincide with the morning commute to work, injured 3 people. One victim, physical education teacher Moshik Levy, was moderately wounded by shrapnel and glass from his car windshield which exploded in his face. A fourth person was injured while fleeing for cover, and five more people were treated for acute stress reaction. Two homes, one in Sderot and one in the Eshkol Regional Council, were damaged by direct rocket hits. United States Ambassador Dan Shapiro declared that his country "supports Israel’s right to defend itself and its citizens from these attacks.

This is happened before Israel Killed their "militant" so now answer me, why hamas started this before the elections?
Because hamas thinks that Israel will not fight back before the elections, because the people are divided and all that.

Yep And I will never get my answers either for the one that started to ask this questions.
I still question why are we funding these guys?
The only thing that the U.S. funding are the Iron Dome and the Arrow system. Both are missile defense systems. the Reason for this is that the U.S. wants Israel to respond in moderation toward the Arabs.
Oh please. If that's the case, you don't need the US funding.
Actually we do. Building these systems cost billions.
oh, also They bring us hundreds of millions of dollars. which Israel may spend only on U.S. weapons...
Actually we do. Building these systems cost billions.

Which they shouldn't at all.

oh, also They bring us hundreds of millions of dollars.

Which is wasteful.
I'm talking to a wall.
relationships between nations are complicated and I guess the best answer is that it suits some politicians aims or beliefs to do so right now.
people seem to feel that my question is irrelevant and just want to argue about the rightness or wrongness of Israeli actions. I'm more interested in the timing of the actions. My cynical attitude is because I hate politicians, not because I hate Israelis, or support Hamas.

Politicians are scheming, heartless scum who use innocent people for their political advantage and this current situation is just another example of that. My main concern about Palestine is that it is a big playground for evil men.

People have a right to live in peace. Killing them, and destroying their homes and livelihoods is not a way to encourage that peace. Whoever does it is wrong and the reasons for when they do it bears examination.
okay, regarding your final question, then: how much are these actions going to bolster vote among moderate Israelis? it seems counter-intuitive to me.
I guess if the media is telling one that the rockets are raining down and your government is showing great strength by not tolerating it and sending in ground forces yet again, then these actions, if successful will measurably bolster the vote amongst moderate Israelis.

This same question (why now) is being asked by others.

[link]
I was never answered this... so I will ask again! please answers this

Well so why they started it??? they had their own commerce before this as I told you, Why they chose to throw it away? they wanted those territories and Israel gave that to them, What are they doing with it? Nothing.
If Israeli people hate Arabs so much, Why there are so many Arabs over there living just ok?
look u can't say that israli people hates arabs so freely because it isn't right.
the hate is only for terrorist who leaves in GAZA and terrorized thier people and most of the southern citiz here.
and believe me: they hate us more than we hate them... this hate ridiculos and they want all of israel to be theres when they have so many arabs country around.

in my city there lost of arabs and we leave in co exeistance.. and one of my shcool friend in the past was arabic and i really like her cuase she is great person.
You didn't understand my question... my question was a Rhetorical question... If Israeli people really hated Arabs then many other Arabs wouldn't be living in Israel in peace just like you said.
My question put light to into it.

מקווה שהכל יהיה בסדר ^^
ohh XDD sorry.. im not good with those kind of quastion
it will be fine ^^ thanks