Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 13, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 59

Austin, Texas gets tired of Texas' own BS.

:iconthe-unicorn-lord:
The-Unicorn-Lord Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
[link]

Austin Texas wants to leave texas.

Here's the petition:
Austin Texas continues to suffer difficulties stemming from the lack of civil, religious, and political freedoms imposed upon the city by less liberally minded Texans. It is entirely feasible for Austin to operate as its own state, within the United States, in the event that Texas is successful in the current bid to secede. It is important for Austin to remain in the union as to do so would protect it's citizens' standard of living and re-secure their rights and liberties in accordance with the original ideas and beliefs of our founding fathers.

We would also like to annex Dublin Texas, Lockhart Texas, & Shiner Texas.

Can I just be the first to say: TROLOLOLOLOLOL

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconrhabdoviridae:
Rhabdoviridae Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
All legal matters regarding seceding aside:

Would you want to live in Austin if you were surrounded by another country on all sides that didn't agree at all with you on matters of civil, religious, and political freedoms?

As much as I love Austin, I sure as heck wouldn't :lol:
:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
This is what the constituion says.
[link]
"but no new states shall be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of any other state; nor any state be formed by the junction of two or more states, or parts of states, without the consent of the legislatures of the states concerned as well as of the Congress."

Basicly, you'd need the OK form both the Texas Government, and Federal Government.

Portions of a state seceding from their parent state has happened twice in our nations history. In the midst of the civil war, West Virginia Seceded from Virginia, the consent of virginia was not needed because they were in revolt, and it got rubber stamped.

At the dawn of our nation's history, Maine Seceded from Massachusetts, this was at the very beginning of the slavery issue, and It scored another free state, and mass was happy to be free of the maine-tards.

That said, no one in any government is planning on seceding any state at this time. I seriously doubt that the majority of people in those states seriously want this. 25,000 signatures is nothing in states with more than 1 million people. Given the amount of signatures are in the tens of thousands, its unlikely that you'd even get someone elected to state government with those numbers.

And yes, people get butthurt every election. They make all kinds of crazy remarks, every election. Most of them are just that, butthurt, and empty gestures that can be safely ignored.

That said, given the continual cultural diffrences between austin and the rest of Texas, I'd say that and East Texas state might not be such a bad thing.

Upstate NY wants to be free of NYC and Long Island, because they feel the state government is dominated by urban and suburban areas is not responsive to the needs of the bulk of area of NY which is farmland.
:iconzcochrane:
ZCochrane Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Student Photographer
One cannot stress enough that a petition is just a letter signed by a lot of people. The most that can ever happen if enough signatures are received is that someone in government may be required to read it. Neither petition was created or endorsed by the state or city government, and there is no guarantee that the signatories are texans, Americans or even just actually real people. Discussing them as if they had any more importance than your average forum thread is a waste of time.
:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Seriously. This is just common sense

political partisans are looking for reasons to justify their own insane world views.
:icondeizzan:
Deizzan Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
I think this is the proper response to the secession petitions.
:iconsherberttcat:
SherbertTCat Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Gufaw!
:iconkimihro:
Kimihro Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
What's with all this "seceding" stuff going around? The first time must've worked marvelously.
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
All this succeeding bullshit I've been hearing is annoying me. Just reeks of republitard temper tantrums because Obama won.
:iconebolabears:
EbolaBears Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Texas is not in any way shape or form attempting to leave the Union. Get your facts straight.
Oh really?
[link]
:iconebolabears:
EbolaBears Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Texas is not petitioning to leave the Union. No State is doing that.
The-Unicorn-Lord Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Also lol: [link]

"The petitions on the White House website won't be granted."

"In Texas, Republican Gov. Rick Perry ... did not endorse the secession petitions and has said he did not want the Lone Star State to break away."
Again, they're being filed by citizens (many signers not even from the same state) without any actual state sanctioning or support. It's a bunch of jerkoffs saying they want the states they live in to secede, not the states saying they want to secede. And they barely make up a small fraction of residents in each of those states. The video you linked to earlier also said that the states rely on federal funding and support so much that if any of them did secede they would utterly fail to survive as is.
Nokari: Did britain let us leave? Did the south leave legally during the civil war? What exactly is there to stop the largest growing state in the union, with access to all various commodities like oil and agriculture, has the largest part of the army,and the world's 15 largest economy, from leaving should it ever want to?

Texas isn't the same beast as most of the other states. It CAN fend for itself.

I get it, it's all pomp and gesturing by retards and trolls, but to say "lol, the citizens are crying." is completely ignoring history.
:iconcouchycreature:
CouchyCreature Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
do you think that a petition signed by 50,000 people (who might not even be Texans) means anything at all apart from butthurt when you realise that Texas has 26 million people living in the state.

If 50,000 want to leave the US, it would seem that 25,950,000 still want to stay as part of the US.
We left Britain as a united decision of all 13 colonies, not a bunch of scattered disgruntled folks that are lashing out for their guy losing a democratic election in the short aftermath of said election...
The south tried to secede together and with the state governments at the helm... If these people start turning to guns or riots, then it would be something to worry about.

Texas relies on federal funding and support a lot too. They would still suffer greatly, and in case you just now forgot, their governor has flat out said he doesn't want the state to secede, and I bet neither do most of the citizens (which greatly outnumber the petition signers). Some of the signers aren't even residents of Texas either.

I don't think people realize that there's a big difference to a lot of things when comparing interstate commerce and international commerce either. Because remember, if Texas becomes a separate country, it's not only taking federal property with it (which means losing those to the US along with all those public sector jobs), US and Texas companies will have to use completely different sets of laws to do business. Sending a truck over state lines becomes international import/export, you have to bring a passport to go on a road trip or go hundreds of miles out of the way to avoid crossing into Texas, people wanting to move to Texas or leave Texas for the US would have to go through immigration procedures for citizenship approval (costing hundreds or thousands of dollars) instead of just updating their info with the DMV (for free)... and much more.

I don't think any of these guys have really thought this secession thing through, so I'm not going to worry until something more meaningful develops.
:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
While it would be harder than interstate travel, if the secession was peaceful, I'd assume they'd have policies brought in, that would make travelling between texas and america easier.

For example, in Australia/New Zealand, we have the Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement. New Zealanders (With some exceptions, for example, criminal records), are able to enter Australia only with a passport, and they're granted a special visa, that allows indefinite stay in Australia.
(1 Reply)
:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Less than 10% have signed the petition. Do you really think less than 10% of the state is able to fight the whole of America? :lol:
Iraq seems to be able to do it just fine. ;D
(1 Reply)
nokari Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
A small number of randoms signing a petition on the internet that anyone can possibly start on their own wanting something doesn't really equate to an entire state wanting something.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Fuck Austin. Dallas, now that's a civilized city.
:iconkrylanna:
Krylanna Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Civilized = wealthy and full of faux Christians?
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Host to practically all the US Military, and oft fans of NASCAR, civilized?
:iconthelittleone:
thelittleone Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
1868 Supreme Court Decision on Texas v White.

This is a publicity stunt, there will be no secession.
:iconironhold:
Ironhold Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Snop'd: [link]

Given the nature of the petition website and the fact that the Obama administration reserves the right to ignore certain classes and categories of petitions even if they do make, this is most likely just for show and not actually anything serious.
:iconmrshighwind:
MrsHighwind Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
As a resident of Texas myself, all I can say is :iconfacepalmplz:
how is it any worse then your state doing the exact same shit.
MrsHighwind Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It isn't....I think the whole thing is stupid.
And people act like Texas is the only state doing this crap. While I'll admit they're probably a little more "gung-ho" about it than the rest, need I remind everyone that over HALF of the other states have started petitions as well. Louisiana has also passed the 25,000 mark...
The White House 1) has already denied the petitions and 2) doesn't actually have constitutional power to grant a secession. So none of those petitions are really mattering. They're still only a tiny percentage of people from each of those states who are not representatives of their states' official positions, and something that was pointed out several times is that many of the "signatures" are from people who don't even live in those respective states. It really is just a bunch of extreme sore losers from the elections (and probably some trolls too) and I would bet you if we went back in time we'd find there have been similar petitions like this on that site popping up after every election in which that petition site has existed.
Exactly, people are just making a big fuss over nothing.

And while I personally did not vote for Obama, after he was re-elected I wasn't all "butthurt" like so many people were...and still are. I think it's pointless for people to rant and rave about how America elected the "wrong guy", rather than support the man who will be running the country for four more years.
:iconenuocale:
EnuoCale Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
It would be funny if half of this actually worked, and then the country ended up like a checkerboard of two different countries, both of which immediately go to shit.
:icondebit:
Debit Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
That ought to skyrocket the demand for border patrol jobs! Better than getting stuck in Wal-Mart. :D
:iconajglass:
AJGlass Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
At least in Wal-Mart, people aren't trying to kill you and smuggle product past you.

:deviator: "CNN reports that this coming Black Friday will probably lead to more shoplifting and stampede violence."

Never mind. :O_o:
:iconyaotl:
yaotl Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Aw, shit! I forgot about black friday!

It's okay, it's okay, I work at the small Wal-Mart, not the super center :fear:
AJGlass Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Everyone knows that bad things happen more often in smaller places. =P
Hahahaha! Border patrol job does not involve dealing with shoplifters and rioteers. Whew ......

However, it does carry some elements of danger, such as occasional gunfights with Mexican narco gangs who are pretty ruthless and not shy about defying the law, making typical gun-touting NRA member look rather mild by comparison. I guess Wal-Mart is not such a bad job, after all. :)
AJGlass Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
I hear that the fun really begins when the Mexican narco gangs meet up with the typical gun-touting NRA members. :nod:
Make business deals, if I were a Mexican narco gang leader. Sell my merchandise to my American counterpart for cash, then spend some of that cash on American firearms. :)
Add a Comment: