Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 13, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 59

Austin, Texas gets tired of Texas' own BS.

:iconthe-unicorn-lord:
The-Unicorn-Lord Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
[link]

Austin Texas wants to leave texas.

Here's the petition:
Austin Texas continues to suffer difficulties stemming from the lack of civil, religious, and political freedoms imposed upon the city by less liberally minded Texans. It is entirely feasible for Austin to operate as its own state, within the United States, in the event that Texas is successful in the current bid to secede. It is important for Austin to remain in the union as to do so would protect it's citizens' standard of living and re-secure their rights and liberties in accordance with the original ideas and beliefs of our founding fathers.

We would also like to annex Dublin Texas, Lockhart Texas, & Shiner Texas.

Can I just be the first to say: TROLOLOLOLOLOL

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconrhabdoviridae:
Rhabdoviridae Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
All legal matters regarding seceding aside:

Would you want to live in Austin if you were surrounded by another country on all sides that didn't agree at all with you on matters of civil, religious, and political freedoms?

As much as I love Austin, I sure as heck wouldn't :lol:
:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
This is what the constituion says.
[link]
"but no new states shall be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of any other state; nor any state be formed by the junction of two or more states, or parts of states, without the consent of the legislatures of the states concerned as well as of the Congress."

Basicly, you'd need the OK form both the Texas Government, and Federal Government.

Portions of a state seceding from their parent state has happened twice in our nations history. In the midst of the civil war, West Virginia Seceded from Virginia, the consent of virginia was not needed because they were in revolt, and it got rubber stamped.

At the dawn of our nation's history, Maine Seceded from Massachusetts, this was at the very beginning of the slavery issue, and It scored another free state, and mass was happy to be free of the maine-tards.

That said, no one in any government is planning on seceding any state at this time. I seriously doubt that the majority of people in those states seriously want this. 25,000 signatures is nothing in states with more than 1 million people. Given the amount of signatures are in the tens of thousands, its unlikely that you'd even get someone elected to state government with those numbers.

And yes, people get butthurt every election. They make all kinds of crazy remarks, every election. Most of them are just that, butthurt, and empty gestures that can be safely ignored.

That said, given the continual cultural diffrences between austin and the rest of Texas, I'd say that and East Texas state might not be such a bad thing.

Upstate NY wants to be free of NYC and Long Island, because they feel the state government is dominated by urban and suburban areas is not responsive to the needs of the bulk of area of NY which is farmland.
:iconzcochrane:
ZCochrane Nov 14, 2012  Student Photographer
One cannot stress enough that a petition is just a letter signed by a lot of people. The most that can ever happen if enough signatures are received is that someone in government may be required to read it. Neither petition was created or endorsed by the state or city government, and there is no guarantee that the signatories are texans, Americans or even just actually real people. Discussing them as if they had any more importance than your average forum thread is a waste of time.
:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Seriously. This is just common sense

political partisans are looking for reasons to justify their own insane world views.
:icondeizzan:
I think this is the proper response to the secession petitions.
:iconsherberttcat:
SherbertTCat Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Gufaw!
:iconkimihro:
Kimihro Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
What's with all this "seceding" stuff going around? The first time must've worked marvelously.
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
All this succeeding bullshit I've been hearing is annoying me. Just reeks of republitard temper tantrums because Obama won.
:iconvomitbear:
Texas is not in any way shape or form attempting to leave the Union. Get your facts straight.
:iconthe-unicorn-lord:
The-Unicorn-Lord Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Oh really?
[link]
Add a Comment: