States Seceding?

Nope, this isn't a joke. [link] A majority of the new petitions on the government website are requests of secession. Secession.

Louisiana seems like it's the most serious out of the rest: [link] I've also heard of Texas getting pretty crazy with the threats of secession.

I'm pretty sure this isn't the state governments making these petitions; rather people extremely angry with President Obama's re-election win. Could this even be successful? Thoughts on this?
Comments386
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Let them. Their economies will never sustain them, and then they will be the new bitch to the cartels in Mexico.
This reeks of redundancy. When George Bush won in 2004, everyone was screaming and crying like little brats and "moving to canada" and everyone who voted for him said "grow up." now that Obama won everyone is screaming and crying like little brats and "seceding" and everyone that voted for him is saying "grow up." Well, hey, those of you moving to canada 8 years ago never grew up, the only thing you ever hear is "bush did this" and "bush did that." Though I am no supporter of that man, it seems pretty hypocritical of you to me.
Hypocritical... this accusation seems to be considered worse than condemnation to Hell on this website. Most people are hypocritical about things in life, we sort of have to be in order to function. That aside, I think you are assuming that "everyone" said they would move to Canada when Bush won, or "all" Democrats. I don't think that was the case. I might also remind you that sending a petition to Washington DC with 20,000 signatures demanding secession of a state is a tad more serious (and insane) than whining "I hate uh-murrika im movign to Canada now!"
You seem reasonable enough so I'm sure you agree. And that seems to be the main point here. I believe that many conservatives have proven how anti-American they are and that they are traitors to the country with this behavior. I'm glad they're not running the country. I'd love to see them move to Canada- but I'm also pretty sure Canada would refuse them.
this has happened every election for a long time.

Guess what, no one is seceding, and no one is moving to canada.

Wanna know something else, there are far fewer complainers than its made out to be. There are only a handful of people who actually want to secede, just like only a handful said they'd move to Canada, and even less that are serious about it.

Again, just to repeat what I, and other more rational members of the board have been saying for the last couple of weeks. There are no serious plans to secede form the union, not by anyone, and the opinion is not even a large minority in any of these states.

Just like the amount of people that were going to move to canada after bush won, but didn't were very very very small insignificant minority.
The Last guys who tried to Secede didn't do to well...
Plus I doubt any state has the infrastructure and economy
to be a successful, self sustaining country. And the rest of the
US would just Haze the shit out of em till they came back heheh.
California was the talk when they wanted to make it into 2 states, North California and South California. And you see where that went. And I certainly could not see a landlocked state survive as a separate country without ports. Nor would the US stand for having a foreign country within it's borders. There would be an invasion and the US would get it back that way.
I just read on yahoo that all 50 states have filed for secession. Doesn't anyone in this country remember "United we stand, Divided we fall.."

*Sidenote, if Texas were to secede (not a chance)...would that make Rick Perry my new president?! :fear:
It's not happening, it's going to get some hype and then be over with in a little while. Remember how well it went when states seceded?
5 years of war and another 15 rebuilding... Is that what we really need? :fear:
I live in Georgia I cant get out of my mind they are doing this :facepalm:
I had a nightmare where I had to kill my California friends in a civil war or be executed. I was also forced to read the Bible and dismiss all of my scientific knowledge. I tried fleeing to Canada, but a couple of my company mates found me and shot me eight dozen times until I was nothing but a bloody mess.
What can't you get out of your mind? That some people want the state to leave the Union? Guess what, people in every State are dumb like that.

The petitions are nothing legal or valid. You're wasting time worrying about nothing.
this, this and more of this.

can we stop having this threads. No one is seceding nothing.
I've heard of this.

And I'm not all that surprised that people are acting like idiots.
Mass hysteria and butthurt at its finest!
[link]

Seems nearly half of the states are acting like giant whining bitching brats who need to be taught they can't have everything they want :P
again, its a small percentage of people in half the states.

Most people, to include all the governments have no desire to secede.
It is almost literally impossible for secession to occur now. The design of the nation is set in stone, and it will not break apart. Back in 1860, when the nation was still relatively new and undefined, it was possible. Nowadays, any state that tries to make a legitimate break will be committing suicide in the world stage. As mad and idiotic as politicians are, one of them are going to go that far. They know what will await.
Actually, it's literally impossible. The Supreme Court of 1868 came to a decision in Texas vs White that no state can secede unilateraly. It requires the consent of the all the states. Honestly, I find it irresponsible of the reporters on this story to completely ignore the Law on the matter. Plus one to the media for creating hysteria where there is none...
Personally I'd like to see some of these states secede. Let's see how long they'll survive before crawling back to the US.