Link

Statistics

Replies: 27

220 Marijuana Cases dismissed in Washington State

:icondkalban:
Dkalban Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Im not a fan of Pot, but I consider this news a good step forward:

[link]

<QUOTE>Following the successful passage of a state referendum legalizing small amounts of marijuana for recreational use, two county prosecutors in Washington state have dismissed hundreds of misdemeanor marijuana cases. Although, the effective date of the referendum is not until December 6, the prosecutors used their discretion to apply the new rule retroactively.

The move underscores how, even though marijuana possession remains illegal under federal law, state initiatives legalizing possession for recreational use in Washington and Colorado could have far-reaching consequences. As a practical matter, virtually all arrests and prosecutions for marijuana possession occur at the state level.

The Department of Justice could sue to block enforcement of the law. Thus far, the federal government has not indicated if they will directly challenge Colorado and Washington.

In 2010, over 750,000 people in the United States were charged with possession of marijuana only.</QUOTE>

Now, while I think most drugs should remain illegal, Im of the opinion that marijuana should be taxed and regulated like cigarettes (after all, it was the tobacco companies that pushed criminalizing Marijuana)

And since the DoJ isnt pursuing a case; I think pot will be decriminalized sooner rather than later.

Smoke if you gottem

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkatara-alchemist:
Katara-Alchemist Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Student General Artist
I don't really care one way or the other when it comes to this new law. I've lived in Colorado all my life and everyone here has pot or has tons of friends who do. It's nothing new. I do, however, find it sad that people were willing to legalize a drug, however minor of one it may be, before passing laws to allow gay marriage.
mhmm
:iconkitsumekat:
kitsumekat Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012
I think it's a good idea. This way, it'll clear up space for real criminals.
Like CEOs
:iconkitsumekat:
kitsumekat Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012
maybe.
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Don't give that doped up zit of bullshit, Infinate any ammo. He gets off on threads like this.
well, he is someone who I think would ABUSE such a privilege tbh

Just like alcohol, an abuser of Marijuana should be penalized
:iconsherberttcat:
SherbertTCat Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
This will do well to ease their budget crunch.
Yep
:icondraconicparagon:
DraconicParagon Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Tax the hell-oh outta marijuana and then fix roads and public spaces throughout the state, yay! :D
Add a Comment: