Link

Statistics

Replies: 27

220 Marijuana Cases dismissed in Washington State

:icondkalban:
Dkalban Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Im not a fan of Pot, but I consider this news a good step forward:

[link]

<QUOTE>Following the successful passage of a state referendum legalizing small amounts of marijuana for recreational use, two county prosecutors in Washington state have dismissed hundreds of misdemeanor marijuana cases. Although, the effective date of the referendum is not until December 6, the prosecutors used their discretion to apply the new rule retroactively.

The move underscores how, even though marijuana possession remains illegal under federal law, state initiatives legalizing possession for recreational use in Washington and Colorado could have far-reaching consequences. As a practical matter, virtually all arrests and prosecutions for marijuana possession occur at the state level.

The Department of Justice could sue to block enforcement of the law. Thus far, the federal government has not indicated if they will directly challenge Colorado and Washington.

In 2010, over 750,000 people in the United States were charged with possession of marijuana only.</QUOTE>

Now, while I think most drugs should remain illegal, Im of the opinion that marijuana should be taxed and regulated like cigarettes (after all, it was the tobacco companies that pushed criminalizing Marijuana)

And since the DoJ isnt pursuing a case; I think pot will be decriminalized sooner rather than later.

Smoke if you gottem

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkatara-alchemist:
Katara-Alchemist Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Student General Artist
I don't really care one way or the other when it comes to this new law. I've lived in Colorado all my life and everyone here has pot or has tons of friends who do. It's nothing new. I do, however, find it sad that people were willing to legalize a drug, however minor of one it may be, before passing laws to allow gay marriage.
mhmm
:iconkitsumekat:
kitsumekat Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012
I think it's a good idea. This way, it'll clear up space for real criminals.
Like CEOs
:iconkitsumekat:
kitsumekat Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012
maybe.
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Don't give that doped up zit of bullshit, Infinate any ammo. He gets off on threads like this.
well, he is someone who I think would ABUSE such a privilege tbh

Just like alcohol, an abuser of Marijuana should be penalized
:iconsherberttcat:
SherbertTCat Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
This will do well to ease their budget crunch.
Yep
:icondraconicparagon:
DraconicParagon Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Tax the hell-oh outta marijuana and then fix roads and public spaces throughout the state, yay! :D
I know that, at least in my state of Colorado, it will be heavily taxed and the money will go to education. That's what I've heard anyhow.
Yay! Drugs DO help education! lol.
:dummy:
mhmm
+1 person likes this.
:)
:D
:icondead-now:
dead-now Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
The problem at this point is the connotation that marijuana carries. Marijuana should not be criminalized in my opinion, no. We spend way too much money on keeping those people out of society in prisons and such without providing them any real help. I feel like I am adopting much of Mr. Hicks's ideas on the subject, but that's okay. The worry that I do have with it is that there are plenty of people with idiot mentality on the subject who simply want to dive into marijuana because they 'think it's cool.'
I know what you mean (I believe that the posterboy for that worry often posts in this section)

However, I disagree with legalizing cocaine, heroin, opium etc...
:icondead-now:
dead-now Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Drugs are such a tricky topic to be sure. The main problem is that people who are addicted to the substances are sick and need help. There are some that are more harmful than others, such as the ones you listed. I believe that some drugs really do need to be decriminalized, but others really can be harmful. Then again... alcohol is legal, but that is quite a different subject than what this thread presents.
Agreed
:iconslutty-artemis-fowl:
Slutty-Artemis-Fowl Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Student General Artist
I still can't believe that we don't at LEAST have all the states legalizing medical marijuana.
True, but at the same token 42 states don't allow gay marriage

People are incredibly uptight in 2012. Only Americans more uptight were the goddamn Puritains
:iconslutty-artemis-fowl:
Slutty-Artemis-Fowl Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Student General Artist
Very, very true. It's REALLY silly. I'd expect this kind of behavior in the fifties, not in an era of such advanced knowledge.
mhmm
:iconcreamstar:
Creamstar Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012
This is good progress, but we still need for marijuana to be legal on a federal level. Otherwise, people will continue to be arrested by federal agents for possession. Although the DoJ is not pursuing here, they have in the past pursued medical marijuana distributors and jailed them despite legality in the state. Thus, states can legalize as much as they want, but it means nothing unless the federal government does the same.

Unfortunately, I see no way of that happening any time soon. Republicans in the House will never allow it. Maybe Obama can circumvent it through funding or enforcement, but we still have some ways to go.
True

Or Executive Order (which, imo, he should also do to penalize employers who fired people in response to Obama's reelection OR to give the FCC some teeth)
Add a Comment: