Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 9, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 75

Social Media Trend - Tax Cuts Expiration.

:icontristancody:
TristanCody Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Student Writer
I was using Twitter to debate and such when I noticed "Let the Tax Cuts Expire was rending. What is your opinion on the subject? Do we let them expire, do we let only certain incomes expire and continue others? What and why?

Personally, I believe you should extend all or let all expire. That way, not only is it fair, but we do not have drastic changes in incomes that may shift into new brackets.

Best Regards,
Tristan Cody.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconscottahemi:
ScottaHemi Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
well the people voted for them. let them have their tax increases.

i just hope this proves as a viable learning tool for the future generations.
TristanCody Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Student Writer
Fair game.
:iconsonrouge:
sonrouge Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
Hmm, let them expire so dear leader and his bozos have one less excuse for when things go bad. We're beyond the point of using logic and facts to teach them, so let 'em learn the hard way.
Take out the current administration from this and then what do you think? Extend, expire, compromise?
:iconsonrouge:
sonrouge Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012
Tax cuts don't mean much unless spending goes down, which I don't see happening to a necessary degree under any administration. So my answer would probably be the same; people haven't gotten it through their thick skulls that the problem is our runaway spending, so take away the eternal excuse and let them see what happens.
I can agree with you upon the idea of runaway spending. It is an issue that must be dealt with. :handshake:
:iconkitsumekat:
kitsumekat Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
What is your opinion on the subject?

We already created an unstable enviroment barely benefits everyone.

Do we let them expire, do we let only certain incomes expire and continue others? What and why?

I think expire on the rich and extend on the middle and poor. Why? Because the ones getting hit the most are the middle class and poor.
Same as President Obama, very nice.
Both Presidents kept on with it in hopes of jobs. It didn't work so well.
True.
The thing now is how jobs will be kept.
SO many variables to that question. That is why, in my opinion, it is a good question.
kitsumekat Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012
In a way, we first ask the questions then go into the question to find the answer.
TristanCody Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Student Writer
:iconclapplz:
(1 Reply)
I apologize for the errors made on this thread. Early morning drowsiness.
That when you drink coffee for that.
Truth.
:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
"Do we let them expire, do we let only certain incomes expire and continue others? What and why?"

sure why not, we are trillions in debt, how can't we talk about cutting taxes.

"Personally, I believe you should extend all or let all expire. That way, not only is it fair, but we do not have drastic changes in incomes that may shift into new brackets. "

I think you don't understand how the bracket system works.

Raising taxes on the top bracket.

That said, I think its kinda worthless increasing income taxes. I think we need to match capital gains tax to the same level as income tax. If your talking about rasing wage taxes, your not talking about increasing taxes for the upper class. Peroid.
:icondebit:
Debit Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Not to mention, the lion's share of income and wealth are concentrated within the top 1% income group. Taxation should target wherever the money and power are concentrated at.
"Not to mention, the lion's share of income and wealth are concentrated within the top 1% income group"

and that income is not made from working, and certainly not gained from wage tax. Its gained from capital gains. The money you make by not working, but exploiting other people's work.

If anything, mabey wage taxes in general are too high.

Why does someone making $70k a year pay a higher rate than someone who makes $70m a year. Especially if that $70k comes from a professional career or skilled labor.

But let me make my position clear. This is not about how much you make, this is about how you make it. The top %1 do not earn their money by working. They earn their money by owning stock, and other financial instruments, and do not directly contribute to the economy, the money they "earn" is really taken from the people who do work.

The thing is, everyone keeps talking about "tax the rich", capital gains taxes rarely get talked about, instead we here about raising wage tax taking aim at the upper half of the middle class. This needs to stop.

The only solution is to raise taxes on capital gains. At very least they should be the same as wage tax, with the same brackets.
:icondebit:
Debit Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Raise taxes on capital gains ...... I have been thinking about that for quite a while.

By the way, I am quite aware of the fact that wages and salaries do not constitute the bulk of the income of the hyper-wealthy.
Actually, when you quoted me, I realized I was missing a whole sentence. . . My apologies.

I do, to my best, know the bracket system (I have studied and spoke on reform before). What I said here was an unintentional mistake where my mind outraced my fingers this morning.
fair game, apology accepted, and returned in kind.
:handshake:
:iconmgonzales041090:
mgonzales041090 Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Let them expire for the upper class. Keep them for the middle and lower income brackets.
Just as Obama has done, correct?
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Wants to do, not has actually done.
Oh, true. I mixed it up in 2010 when he extended them, correct?
He did, but it was under pressure from Congress. Even at that point he wanted to not extend them for the higher brackets, but he did anyway.
Congress, why?
Because Republicans.
Why so partisan? It is more deadly than good.
(1 Reply)
Ideally, yes. The upper income brackets aren't in need of tax breaks.
Well, the consequence will surely be less than the lower and middle.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. The consequences of letting the tax cuts expire for the upper class will be less than that of lower and middle class?
I meant the consequence to the person. Thus, letting them expire for the rich is less of a consequence than letting them expire for middle and lower.
:icondkalban:
Dkalban Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
THEY'RE RENDING!? What program? =p

I say let them expire, especially the ones that arent needed (aka on the 1%)

Seriously, we have a revenue stream issue; and giving the rich what they want won't help this nation or most of us.

Just cutting won't help; revenue is needed ASAP. That's why "tax and spend" Clinton got us a SURPLUS.

And the loopholes must be fixed, and tax dodgers more severely punished.
"Just cutting won't help; revenue is needed ASAP. That's why "tax and spend" Clinton got us a SURPLUS."

clinton got a surplus from the "dot com boom", expanding market for technology gave growth to the economy which would have otherwised collapsed.

After the tech based markets(software, hardware, intarwebingz) matured, the economy cooled off and the dot com bubble collapsed.

Clinton got lucky, and if anything, he almost killed this when he introduced the cybercrime security act of 1996, which would have banned meaningful civilian strong encryption.

This strong encryption is the basis for e-commerce or, "how a random citizen can trust their credit card information online".

The federal government under clinton was very uncooperative with citizen lead initiatives to make good, civilian crypto, and this was the same administration that saw Phil Zimmerman of GPG fame by put on trial for making cryptography software.

Because of the rullings, early web browsers with strong crypto like netscape navigator with 128 bit ssl where hard to come by.

The web persevered because of itself, and the nation persevered because of the web. Not the other way around.
Yet taxes were higher then too. And that helped.

Liberals tend to have better economies.
ignore everything I had to say to make an hyper partisan point.

thanks.

dear politicians, you weren't responsible for the 1990s. none of you. You weren't responsible for the internet. Thank you, and good night.
Dkalban Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I ignore everything you say because it was semantics.

You ignored Clinton's tax policies and other things that Dumbass Dubya removed.

Internet bubble was a SMALL PART of the surplus
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
"I ignore everything you say because it was semantics."

No its not. Your accusing me of what your doing. My argument is clear. Its that forces completely eskew to the 4 year presidential

"You ignored Clinton's tax policies and other things that Dumbass Dubya removed."

because they are next to irrelevant in the boom-bust cycle of the market. Your phrasing world events through the narrow lens of your hyperpartisan politics and ignoring everything else.

Anyway, the body that actually passes laws is congress. For most of the Clinton presidency they were republican. So if you liked what happened under Clinton, chances are, its you liked republican legislation.

Irony is not lost on me

"Internet bubble was a SMALL PART of the surplus"
bulltshit.
Dkalban Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Fine, be a contrary backwards ass.
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Hey its not my fault you don't get your news beyond election year infortainment by your party.
(1 Reply)
I made an error. . . . :iconhowcouldyouplz:

I believe we agree then. Very nice. :iconhandshakeplz:
Yes :)
:iconcoolcat10189:
coolcat10189 Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
Let all expire. Please.

They need to for a dying economy. Not to mention that fact that they wealthy have so many loopholes to avoid being taxed properly bothers me. Get rid of those too. And cut the payment of congressmen to minimum wage. And no free healthcare.
I agree on letting them expire for our good. Oh, Healthcare, I remember when you passed and I read you all night long for days and days. . . . :iconwalloftextplz:
:iconcoolcat10189:
coolcat10189 Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
Ahh good times~

Sorry I should have stated no free healthcare for congressmen, since they believe everyone is an entitled hippie while they sit on the multi-millions they did not earn or work for. I am pro universal healthcare. I am a "all or none" kind of person most of the time.

Staying up until 4 am is not a good idea.
Very good times, indeed.

Ah,yes. Is it not their kind of attitude that will bring this nation down?

5 am is worse, sadly. O.O
Add a Comment: