Details

Closed to new replies
November 6, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 10

Can anyone confirm or deny this for me?

:iconherbaldrink:
I have heard talk that Puerto Rico was once again voting on whether or not they would like to become eligible for statehood. I knew that both Obama and Romney would have said "yes" if they passed the referendum to become a state. (For that matter, even Reagan, Ford, and Bush Jr. would have done this, so I've heard.)

From what I've heard, there were two questions on their ballot.

The first was whether or not to maintain the status quo. 47% said they wanted to, and 53% said they did not want to.

The other question was for Puerto Rico's future, and the figures I heard for this have been:

65% support statehood
31% support free association
4% support independence.

Has anyone been able to confirm or deny this, whether or not congress will be voting on whether or not Puerto Rico will become a state in the next year or so?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconthe-unicorn-lord:
The-Unicorn-Lord Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
[link]

yes, they voted for statehood.
Thank you. :)

Let's hope this doesn't get turend political and the GOP tries to block it. It'd be very hypocritical of them seeing as Romney has expressed support for statehood. (HEck, even Reagan expressed support in the 80s.)
:icondoctorv23:
The vote is closer than that so far:
[link] [link]
See those are the only sources I've found so far. I've also found something from FoxNews saying the same as your first article. I have also found sites from Puerto Rico also having similar statistics to the first.

I ahve not found anything to confirm or deny this so far. but yes, that is also where I have heard that Reagan and Obama have supported it. (I recall Obama saying something during his campaign.)
:iconpakaku:
Why should they join?
:iconrockstar1009:
rockstar1009 Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Benefits like Obamacare.
:iconshadowyeclipse:
ShadowyEclipse Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Benefits?

If PR became a state it would be dragged into our ever worsening economy.
:iconcouchycreature:
CouchyCreature Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
hmmm, all is comparitive. Maybe you could compare PR economy to the USA economy.
Among that are also more representation in congress. They also can't vote for president in their current state. (ba dum tish)
So they can get more representation in congress and cast their votes for president, maybe?

Then again there are a lot of people who're happy being a commonwealth.
Add a Comment: