Drug abuse costs the US economy more than 180 billion dollars a year...

[link]

Do you think it would save money by legalizing drugs?

By not using police assault teams?

By not imprisoning users and dealers?

By offering treatment instead of prison?
Comments75
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Treatment has not shown itself to be real effective. I'm more lenient for users than dealers for being imprisoned. Drug dealers don't like being busted. That is why they have lots of firearms in their houses, hence police assault teams. Legalizing drugs would not save nor cost me a cent. I'd rather not see our armed forces being bombed out of their minds.
People are well brain trained into thinking natural substances and therapies are the 'enemy' and yet people take 'legalized' medication in which pharmaceutical companies prophet billions from each year and their aches and ailments do not improve or necessarily go away. They simply become dependant off the drugs they take, hoping for the best how is that normal? How are they not addicts in this way? And no-one says anything about that or questions it because they've become brainwashed by the media and do not recognize the politics behind 'medicine' in the western worlds. But no that's right nature is the enemy and we should believe everything the government says like sheep.
Awesome post!

That's two in a row I have seen.
It's an interesting thread to respond to = )
portugals new policy is leaps and bounds ahead of ours [link]

"jail time was replaced with the offer of therapy"

" in the five years after personal possession was decriminalized, illegal drug use among teens in Portugal declined and rates of new HIV infections caused by sharing of dirty needles dropped, while the number of people seeking treatment for drug addiction more than doubled."

"Judging by every metric, decriminalization in Portugal has been a resounding success," says Glenn Greenwald, an attorney, author and fluent Portuguese speaker, who conducted the research. "It has enabled the Portuguese government to manage and control the drug problem far better than virtually every other Western country does."

use is down, deaths are down, crime is down, decriminalization works better and is cheaper than prohibition
"decriminalization works better and is cheaper than prohibition"

Praise this man!

the whole post was good
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]

yeah the drug war is a complete failure
the war on drugs is working...Obamacare will work too!!!!!
How is the war on drugs working?
its making lawyers rich defending pot dealers...
the lawyer lobby in the democrat party will never legalize pot...never...defending pot dealers is a MAJOR source of easy cash for defense lawyers. They get like forty to sixty grand per case
Wait... How does the fact that lawyers and prisons make money off of drugs show that the drug war is working?
its called sarcasm
is money lost? it creates jobs and money is put back into the system and ends up in the hands of businesses which pay employees etc and eventually the money is used to buy more things and all the time money is recieved as tax and used in the development and expansion of businesses leading to more employment and so on.
Most of the money made by drug dealers goes to the drug dealers. All the while, the gangs and drug cartels are swimming in money. We need to take it out of their hands.
Tell you what, dude. If you come out and admit that you just want to get high, no bullshit about the economy or rights or whatnot, just admit that you only want to get high, then I will start listening to you. Until then, you are just another zit on the ass of this site.
I have lots of other ideas that don't have to do with drugs... just search for me on youtube after the new age comes.
"saving money" is a relative term. government lost that money but it obviously went into somebodys pockets. isnt this what the whole capitalizm about? that certain people get rich?
?

Yeah, it would stay out of the pockets of drug kingpins that murder, sabotage, torture, rape, steal, and kidnap.

Wow, sounds like less crime would be the result.
Yes friend, you just figured out why your country is crawling with criminals.