Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 29

Should we amend the copyright law to mandate that violators take creative courses?

:iconnathankoepke:
NathanKoepke Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
Should we amend the copyright law to mandate that copyright infringers including accidental infringers of copyright take creative classes like courses in art, design, etc. as part of their rehabilitation so that they can stay away from infringement in the future? Should the government also provide funding for creative projects to help promote creativity like as stated in the Constitution since many widely used creativity tools are quite expensive?

I feel that our country is not doing enough to guide people away from using other people's works illegally without permission and therefore our government should provide creative funding for interested persons in order to help with the cost of creating these protectable creative works since the tools required to create most copyrightable works are quite expensive (The expense of Adobe's Creative Suite comes to mind) as well as creative guidance and appropriate supervised rehabilitation for those who are currently serving time for stealing and profiting from others' intellectual property so that they can stay away from the behavior in the future.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbalaria:
Balaria Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Copyright laws are already ridiculous. No need to make them any more so.
OK. :)
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
No, if anything we should redo patent law for better consumer protection.
OK. That would be even better. :)
:iconzcochrane:
ZCochrane Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Student Photographer
No. There is no link between people being creative and people respecting copyright law. I guess most people on DA who use Photoshop have pirated it, for example. The number of people who don't understand creative commons at all, even though they're using it, is also staggering. So there is no reason to believe that this measure would help at all.
Yes. I just thought I would bring up a point.
:iconzcochrane:
ZCochrane Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Student Photographer
I just realized that I hadn't read your post fully, and not replied to the second paragraph.

I am against government subsidies for creativity tools. Nobody needs the Adobe Creative Suite to be creative. It does make it easier, and I think it's worth the money (especially the comparatively cheap student edition), but people can also make art with GIMP, if they don't mind a lot of pain. Similarly, good cameras are expensive, but people can make great pictures even with iPhones.

It has never been cheaper to be creative than today. Most kinds of creativity are free today; they only cost time. So I don't really see a need here. Of course it would be nice to get CS 6 for free, but that isn't the job of the government.
Thank you. I guess most people would not need this kind of help. I still thought it would be helpful because of the premise that those who are serving time for violating copyright law can step into an intellectual property owner's shoes and see why infringement would be against the law, but it is not needed.
:icondoctorv23:
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
I think copyright law should be amended to apply to what it was originally designed for: protecting the rights of the author or creator of an original work, something which has sadly been almost forgotten today thanks to the distortions and misconceptions seen in something like SOPA which confuses the distinctly different legal concepts of property and intellectual property.
OK. :)
Add a Comment: