Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 2, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 62

Amsterdam to remain open for weed tourists - yay!

:icon7magickvii:
7MAGiCKVII Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012
OK, being from the UK may mean this news is less relevant for the citizens across the pond and outside of Europe. From a visitor perspective, anyway.

I've always admired the Netherlands - and Portugal, to some degree - for going against the "war on drugs" agenda in favour of a more empirical and objective policy.

The centre-right government wanted a national ban on selling marijuana to tourists. I think the move away from this is more to do with the economic implications from a loss of tourist revenue, but the mayor of Amsterdam had the following to say about the ban:

"This would lead to more robberies, quarrels about fake drugs, and no control of the quality of drugs on the market - everything we have worked towards would be lost to misery."

Pretty much sums up what the Global Commission on Drug Policy have been telling national governments for years. [link]

Anyway, what's your view on marijuana - criminalise or decriminalise? Why?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconthenecco:
TheNecco Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Student General Artist
You can get clean weed in your home town... just ask friends.
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
We don't care about you wanting to legalise weed, infinatetoler...

Oh wrong guy. My apologies.
:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
"Anyway, what's your view on marijuana - criminalise or decriminalise? Why?"

fully legalize it, and de-regulate it.(except truth in advertising regulations, i.e. it has to be exactly what they say it is).

Most of the problems from marijuana come from enforcement, not use.
:iconviberunner:
viberunner Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
I am from the UK and back in the UK but lived for 3 years in Den Haag (The Hague).

Fantastic. Smoked pretty much every day there. Also was the period the Smart Shops were open - was able to buy shrooms and cacti openly. Fantastic!!
:iconthemarcher:
TheMarcher Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
It seems to be working fine for the people of the Netherlands. I go there for a week almost every year, but funny enough I have never smoked pot there, although I tried a few times at home where it is very much illegal.

I think that weed could be allowed but restricted. At least for the disorders and diseases THC helps.
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Well, the vast majority of 'weed tourists' are fucking annoying, so I'm all for keeping it illegal just to keep a lid on the amount of terminally annoying people out there.
viberunner Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
But they bring in an annoying amount of hard currency into the city...
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
This is true, but is it worth them being annoying everywhere? :noes:
viberunner Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Yes. It's only one city they infest... the rest of the Netherlands is fine for tourism.

Actually they don't infest the entire of Amsterdam either, most of the suburbs are fine: just a mile perhaps mile-and-a-half half-radius from the central station.

The local hard-drug junkies are much worse than the tourists. Tourists are annoying, the HD junkies are dangerous...
:icon7magickvii:
7MAGiCKVII Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
Haha - all tourists are dicks; how dare they come to my country and spend money!!
Add a Comment: