Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
October 28, 2011
Link

Statistics

Replies: 107

Obama to shut down the internet, radio, Tv for 3 minutes?

:icondrybonesreborn:
DryBonesReborn Oct 28, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
No, not a conspiracy, just shows instead of the typical 'this is a test' to shutting down the media something is not right!

Here it is from the government site itself:
[link]

"The EAS is a national public warning system that requires broadcasters, cable television systems, wireless cable systems, satellite digital audio radio service (SDARS) providers, and direct broadcast satellite (DBS) providers to provide the communications capability to the President to address the American public during a national emergency. The system also may be used by state and local authorities to deliver important emergency information, such as AMBER alerts and weather information targeted to specific areas.

The first Nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System will be carried out on November 9, 2011. For more information about the test or access to the participant reporting system, please click here."

News articles:
[link]

Net control Amended?

[link]

Snopes:

[link]

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondvn225:
dvn225 Oct 31, 2011  Student Traditional Artist
The Snopes article states that nothing will be "shut down", just interrupted to test a national emergency situation.

Nothing to cry foul about.
:iconhck112:
hck112 Oct 30, 2011  Student Digital Artist
it's a false safe in defense against mass cyber attack, heard this before in DEFCON. EAS doesn't affect the Internet or phone system.
DryBonesReborn Oct 31, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah. Then why does it list mobile then?
:iconhck112:
hck112 Oct 31, 2011  Student Digital Artist
[link]

I think this OP missed a lot of thing.
:iconbluejin39:
We are a leading provider of virtual currency provided to the
Massively Multiplayer online community with over 4 years of experience.
Till now, we have served over 80,000 Happy game players.
Our site is: www.usfine.com
After browsing so many websites, we are impressed by your site's
enhanced design and navigation.
Owing to the large increase of my business, and the consequent additional strain
which put upon me, I have deemed it advisable to have assistance
with your company.

Source(s):[link]
:iconjeysie:
Jeysie Oct 30, 2011  Hobbyist Writer
I think OuroborosCobra already said what I was going to, really. The EBS has been able to co-opt your local signals for tests for decades now... this is just the exact same thing nationally. What's the big deal? Especially since it only covers TV and radio, as the official site itself notes. It's literally not even physically possible to co-opt the internet for such a signal to begin with. (Cell phones I honestly have no idea about.)

The only downside is that damn nightmare-inducing test message they always use. OK, granted, I guess it makes sense for an emergency signal to be nightmare-inducing, but your heart sinks into your chest every time you hear that droning, loud, brown-note-pitched BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP noise going on.
DryBonesReborn Oct 30, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Really?

That would tick em off being on the phone with the doctor or say doctors on the phone and Obama does that 'test'.
Yes, really.

I would think I'd be ticked off even more by there being an emergency big enough to warrant a national alert that I wasn't informed about. Plus you can always go back to talking to your doctor again after the three minutes are up. Assuming they even can/do ever spread the EAS to cell phones. Or that they even use voice; it might be transmitted via a voicemail or text message instead.
DryBonesReborn Oct 30, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
yeah..

Not always. They can move on to other patients. But good points.
Um. Pretty sure the doctor is going to understand that he should wait through a freakin' emergency message rather than dumping his patient in the middle of it. Not only that, but the doctor is going to want to listen to the message for his own benefit as well, since he's doubly going to have to worry about whatever issues the crisis is bringing (for his own sake and the sake of his patients).
Add a Comment: