Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
October 28, 2011
Link

Statistics

Replies: 107

Obama to shut down the internet, radio, Tv for 3 minutes?

:icondrybonesreborn:
DryBonesReborn Featured By Owner Oct 28, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
No, not a conspiracy, just shows instead of the typical 'this is a test' to shutting down the media something is not right!

Here it is from the government site itself:
[link]

"The EAS is a national public warning system that requires broadcasters, cable television systems, wireless cable systems, satellite digital audio radio service (SDARS) providers, and direct broadcast satellite (DBS) providers to provide the communications capability to the President to address the American public during a national emergency. The system also may be used by state and local authorities to deliver important emergency information, such as AMBER alerts and weather information targeted to specific areas.

The first Nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System will be carried out on November 9, 2011. For more information about the test or access to the participant reporting system, please click here."

News articles:
[link]

Net control Amended?

[link]

Snopes:

[link]

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondvn225:
dvn225 Featured By Owner Oct 31, 2011  Student Traditional Artist
The Snopes article states that nothing will be "shut down", just interrupted to test a national emergency situation.

Nothing to cry foul about.
:iconhck112:
hck112 Featured By Owner Oct 30, 2011  Student Digital Artist
it's a false safe in defense against mass cyber attack, heard this before in DEFCON. EAS doesn't affect the Internet or phone system.
DryBonesReborn Featured By Owner Oct 31, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah. Then why does it list mobile then?
:iconhck112:
hck112 Featured By Owner Oct 31, 2011  Student Digital Artist
[link]

I think this OP missed a lot of thing.
:iconbluejin39:
bluejin39 Featured By Owner Oct 30, 2011
We are a leading provider of virtual currency provided to the
Massively Multiplayer online community with over 4 years of experience.
Till now, we have served over 80,000 Happy game players.
Our site is: www.usfine.com
After browsing so many websites, we are impressed by your site's
enhanced design and navigation.
Owing to the large increase of my business, and the consequent additional strain
which put upon me, I have deemed it advisable to have assistance
with your company.

Source(s):[link]
:iconjeysie:
Jeysie Featured By Owner Oct 30, 2011  Hobbyist Writer
I think OuroborosCobra already said what I was going to, really. The EBS has been able to co-opt your local signals for tests for decades now... this is just the exact same thing nationally. What's the big deal? Especially since it only covers TV and radio, as the official site itself notes. It's literally not even physically possible to co-opt the internet for such a signal to begin with. (Cell phones I honestly have no idea about.)

The only downside is that damn nightmare-inducing test message they always use. OK, granted, I guess it makes sense for an emergency signal to be nightmare-inducing, but your heart sinks into your chest every time you hear that droning, loud, brown-note-pitched BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP noise going on.
DryBonesReborn Featured By Owner Oct 30, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Really?

That would tick em off being on the phone with the doctor or say doctors on the phone and Obama does that 'test'.
Yes, really.

I would think I'd be ticked off even more by there being an emergency big enough to warrant a national alert that I wasn't informed about. Plus you can always go back to talking to your doctor again after the three minutes are up. Assuming they even can/do ever spread the EAS to cell phones. Or that they even use voice; it might be transmitted via a voicemail or text message instead.
yeah..

Not always. They can move on to other patients. But good points.
Um. Pretty sure the doctor is going to understand that he should wait through a freakin' emergency message rather than dumping his patient in the middle of it. Not only that, but the doctor is going to want to listen to the message for his own benefit as well, since he's doubly going to have to worry about whatever issues the crisis is bringing (for his own sake and the sake of his patients).
:iconouroboroscobra:
OuroborosCobra Featured By Owner Oct 29, 2011
The EAS test does not affect the internet. Your own Snopes link says as much.
:iconmissourimutants:
MissouriMutants Featured By Owner Oct 29, 2011  Professional Traditional Artist
One world government, baby, it's gonna happen. :shrug: You control the internet, you control the world. I didn't know the internet had a EAS. Huh.
The internet doesn't have EAS. This test will not affect the internet in any way.
DryBonesReborn Featured By Owner Oct 29, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah.
What if you're on the phone with someone or a doctor and they interrupt it???
The EAS test does not affect phones either.
what about the "mobile devices" stated in the article?
OuroborosCobra Featured By Owner Oct 30, 2011
Mobile devices can mean any number of things.
:iconmissourimutants:
MissouriMutants Featured By Owner Oct 29, 2011  Professional Traditional Artist
Yeah, that wouldn't be good. It's bad enough when your cell phone cuts out from ya.
yeah
:iconvisionoftheworld:
VISIONOFTHEWORLD Featured By Owner Oct 29, 2011
The government created the internet, and it operates with the consent of the government, so they have a right to implement a warning system- just like the old "emerency broadcast system" preemption that happens on tv.
I hope this happens when I'm at work... it'll be fun :D

I also wonder why there aren't conspiracy theories or y2k style panics about Friday after next- tripple eleven!
Just wait for 11:11AM, 11/11/11!
EAS tests do not affect the internet.
VISIONOFTHEWORLD Featured By Owner Oct 30, 2011
dammit!! I am disappoint. :movingon:
Now that's a new twist. :) But we don't want to be like another country and shut down free speech.

"hey boss can I call off... oops see ya no signal" lol
VISIONOFTHEWORLD Featured By Owner Oct 30, 2011
Nobody is shutting down free speech. It's 3 minutes. Even if it was 5, or 10, we need to get over it. 'Free speech' is not more holy than the need to test an emergency system that could save millions of lives. Think about things like the tsunami and quake in Japan, the Sep11 attacks, etc. That's important. I'd want to know if the country was under attack no matter what media I happened to be using. Our nation's security is more important than some guy's interrupted conserva-blog post at 2 in the afternoon- wait- it won't interrupt him. Dam I was hoping for some shutdown fun!
:icondoctorv23:
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Oct 29, 2011
There's nothing new with the concept except the technology to do it more efficiently and it continues a system which started as the Emergency Broadcast System [link] and is now nearly 50 years old.
Providing communications capabilities to the President or authorities to deliver vital information quickly during a national emergency has nothing to do with shutting down the media. The internet will not be affected by the testing or actual use of such a system.
My point is if it was under Bush people would say it's some large conspiracy. For some reason if Obama does it, it's ok.

You know?
:icontrorbes:
Trorbes Featured By Owner Oct 31, 2011
If it was done under Bush, the right would be defending it as national security, a la the TSA clampdown, the USA PATRIOT Act...
:icondoctorv23:
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Oct 30, 2011
Thank you.
:iconannagiladi:
AnnaGiladi Featured By Owner Oct 29, 2011  Hobbyist General Artist
3 minutes of getting away from your goddamn screen won't kill you.
I do and it's been God blessed. :) Aww another troll comment
:iconhaupia:
Haupia Featured By Owner Oct 29, 2011  Student Photographer
I don't think you understand the meaning of what a troll is.
lol
:iconanatarakentara:
AnataraKentara Featured By Owner Oct 28, 2011  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
YOu forget this shit happens alot randomly on channels and during the cold war era, it was normal. Why complain? Deal with it, it's not a conspiracy, it's a damn warning system test.
Who said I'm complaining. I'm making a statment. Oh, just deal with it? Well guess what if it was 'Bush' people would say he's spying on us.
:iconanatarakentara:
AnataraKentara Featured By Owner Oct 29, 2011  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Spying. People fear to much. Sometimes it's justified, but here..? eh.
:iconskulkey:
skulkey Featured By Owner Oct 28, 2011  Professional Digital Artist
:iconohnoesohplz:
:jawdrop:
:iconcake-fiend:
cake-fiend Featured By Owner Oct 28, 2011  Hobbyist General Artist
Where did you get the idea that they are shutting down the internet? They have said nothing of the sort. They are only taking over tv and radio broadcasts.
TVs can be equipped with the such internet.

"..The Emergency Alert System (EAS) is a media communications-based alerting system that is designed to transmit emergency alerts and warnings to the American public at the national, state and local levels. The EAS has been in existence since 1994, and its precursor, the Emergency Broadcast System (EBS), began in 1963. Television and radio broadcasters, satellite radio and satellite television providers, as well as cable television and wireline video providers all participate in the system (collectively, EAS Participants). EAS Participants broadcast thousands of alerts and warnings to the American public each year regarding weather threats, child abductions, and many other types of emergencies. As such, the EAS will continue to function as one key component of a national alert and warning system that will provide alerts over multiple communications platforms, including mobile communications devices./"
cake-fiend Featured By Owner Oct 28, 2011  Hobbyist General Artist
What the fuck are you talking about?

And neither of the things you bolded are ISPs. There is no reason to believe that they are going to "shut down the internet".
They will run messages on your phones and wirelines

Um, your phone can connect to the net. New tvs can. :shrug:
They will run messages on your phones and wirelines

Feel free to present evidence of that, considering the telephone system is not part of the EAS system.
"mobile devices" the article stated
cake-fiend Featured By Owner Oct 29, 2011  Hobbyist General Artist
Your television broadcast and internet are two different things, even if they are provided by the same service. Nothing is being "shut off". The government would be temporarily borrowing the television and radio broadcasts. What is being broadcasted on tv or radio has no influence on your internet. They already do this with local emergency alert systems, you've probably seen them before. They don't fucking turn anything off, the service providers just broadcast whatever announcement the EAS has instead of regular television programming. It has nothing to do with your internet.
:iconkrylanna:
Krylanna Featured By Owner Oct 28, 2011
:iconfacepalmplz:
:iconhaldron:
haldron Featured By Owner Oct 28, 2011
I don't see any requirement there for the internet to be shut off. Granted it's impossible to broadcast the EAS signal through the internet, unless the DNS servers send everyone to "OHFUCKINGGODWEREALLGOINGTODIE.gov", which would be kinda awesome.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Oct 28, 2011
I want to buy that domain.
Well new tvs do have DVR and some are connected to the net.

lol awesome to see the servers freak out?
:iconhaldron:
haldron Featured By Owner Oct 28, 2011
I don't consider a DVR to be a standard modem, though. DVRs, and most digital cable boxes really, are designed to interpret EAS relays from the cable/satellite company. Therefore those would be interrupted, but the internet itself will continue to work normally, as will computers and normal modems.
Add a Comment: