Do certain kinds of people come into our lives depending on how you feel about yourself?

Example: If you hate yourself, do you attract people that will just end up hurting you or feel they hate themselves too? 

Comments6
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
 No heaven, no hell, no god. It's all made up to control people.

Adam4adam TutuApp AppValley
I'm feeling deja vu here...
How you feel about yourself affects your interactions with every single person you meet, though the specifics on how that works vary quite a bit. Different groupings work on different principles.

I do think that if you don't have the confidence and self-esteem to walk away from bad situations/groupings, you might stay with people who hurt you. There are also people who prey on the inexperienced and insecure.
If I am insecure I attract fellow nerds who hate themselves more than I do myself. Like to the extent where I feel very strong mental-health-wise compared to them.
Or I attract bullies.  Dafuq / Huh 

If I am growing to have a better self-esteem like I am doing right now I attract noone lol :D but I hope for this to change once I am in university ^^;
I think some insecure people tend to gravitate towards people who are deemed more "advanced" and more confident than they are, because they want a leader figure to give them validation. Insecure people may admire them and strive to be like them, or just find security in their personality and their acceptance. After all, it's quite an honor feeling accepted by this awesomer, more talented, more charismatic person, even when you think you're beneath them, right?

This isn't always bad, and friendships like this can work--but then there are some people out there who want to take advantage of the person's insecurity. The person you attract may not be as confident, smart, powerful, endearing, honorable, etc. as you thought they were. Everyone has their own insecurities, but some people are better at hiding them than others. A lot of people hide their insecurities by counteracting it with feigned confidence and optimism. And people can be terrified of others seeing through them--so they may want to feed on others' insecurities to get their own confidence back. Or at least believe they are getting it back.

Tl;dr Insecure people tend to want validation from the strong, and the strong may get their own validation by helping out the weak. There's always a risk of feeding off each others' weaknesses too much, and this can lead to hurt.