How should the Bible be viewed

If evolution is true then the Bible (at the very least not all of it ) can be taken literally, my question is this, is there a way to tell which parts of the Bible should be taken literally and which parts should not?
Comments103
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
The Bible was made as a guidebook to help people cope with life and to give them advice. There are plenty of good lessons in the Bible but many are outdated due to the time it was originally written.
The bible should be looked at as a guide book and the most important laws are the laws and commandments
It's all fiction.
The Bible is a story about people and their God. Basically the Jews and their God. And how God has always given humanity chance and favor despite themselves. And how he'll continue doing so till the end of time. Where God punishes Us in the old testament we must have really deserved it. More often than not we sew our own seeds of destruction. We curse ourselves. God has to allow our free will to take it's course and sometimes that means allowing us to damn ourselves because we falsely believe there is now return. But through God we learn that love of others and love of self allows us to be free from the guilt we bring about ourselves. The punishments come when we do things without remorse or reason or love. When we hurt each other and don't stop basically. its a very intense book. Showing the full spectrum of human emotion from love to hate to peace and chaos. Its so beautiful and poetic. I take it literally. But even if you don't its worth reading.
Old and New Testament are two different things, in some cases opposite.
Follow the advices and the way of The New. Keep in mind the Old as a kind of history about how things happened.
ill just throw this out there if it is the law of god.  does that mean a child from another country who has not heard of the bible goes to hell. Or a good man who is not religious burns. I find this all very odd if a god is just then good people go to heaven right?. to say you need a book to be go to heaven seems insane.
Your point is only valid for Christianity and Islam (who claim that every single person must either "join the club", or "die and/or go to Hell").
Noahidism fully solves this assumed "problem", though.
The Bible should be viewed as the "Law Book of God", it is an instruction book how we should apply the Word of God of the Bible in our daily life. In other words, these are the instructions we are to learn and to live while on earth, so we are prepared for "Eternal Life" when we leave earth.

It is one of the best acronyms you have ever heard. Life is like College class. It's like a taking a final exam. Those who pass the exam inherit Eternal life and those who do not pass go to eternal punishment. The Bible is like the syllabus for the class. It gives us what is required in order for us to pass the "class" of life.

BIBLE: "BASIC INSTRUCTION BEFORE LEAVING EARTH."
The bible is a account of events. many books are missing from it so it needs to be understood it is not complete. many story's are linked to early Sumeria like the flood story. Adam had another wife Lilith before eve found in the dead sea scrolls. Satan and Lucifer and Devil are not the same people. If he was why does he have 3 names Moses and Solomon have 1. Many in the bible practiced Witchcraft. Women are left out or minimized because men wrote the bible. Solomon has a book of poetry talking about the female aspects of god did it get in the bible nope. Mary may have well been just as important as peter or john. The bible was written in barbaric violent times Jesus was a revolutionary everything he preached was counter to the times. Jesus is a symbol we could all learn from whether we believe in god or not. To tell the truth it does not matter so much if the bible is real.What does matter is it has things to teach good and bad. As do all the religions and holy books. Maybe when people start not being sheep and think for themselves. we will stop letting country's and religions control us.
Wrong! Every Word in the Bible came from the breath of God, not man. Otherwise, the Bible would not be perfect and a Holy Bible.

"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness...2 Timothy 3:16."

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: But holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. (Which is God himself! The Father, The Son and The Holy Ghost)...- 2 Peter 1:20-21."

Is there anyway to prove that the bible isn't the word of God in any way
It shouldn't be taken literally at all. You can't just cherry pick certain things in the bible as truths and write the rest off.
I think of it as a fantasy book written with primitive goat herders in mind. It's designed to "explain the world" to people with no education, no understanding of the natural world, and who generally suffer a great deal at the hands of a merciless environment. There are enough scientifically incorrect claims in the Bible that we shouldn't take any of it as gospel truth.

There will always be those who try to circumvent that reality by stating that "it depends" on one thing or another, but they've never fulfilled the burden of proof in the first place, so it's hard to believe anything  they claim.
mmmm that's strange because I'm religious but I'm also well educated, I study the natural world because it's fascinating as frick, I'm a scientist in fact, and don't we all suffer from the world we live in. I mean, we're not the most human friendly society you can think of. just take a look at how people respond to other people who have a different view on that world, because they claim that they have the absolute truth (despite the fact that their own theories are FILLED with plotholes and illogicals). I mean, lots of people aren't that nice and open minded but hey you gotta find a way to cope with all the garbage thrown at you right? 
I'm curious, what field of science do you study?
chemistry, interesting as frick :meow: but I study things in general, I like knowing things, figuring things out, reading stuff. my brain is like a sponge that absorbs almost everything it sees.
I think I might have been more precise if I'd written "I think of it as a fantasy book originally written with primitive goat herders in mind." I'm not suggesting that all people who are believers are uneducated (obviously, an incorrect claim if I'd made it).

Can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly don't know the whole truth about this natural world we live in. I'm very suspicious of people who do, and moreso of people who claim they do but have no evidence to support their claim. This world has no easy answer (I consider theism an easy answer, and one that is the death of curiosity). We live in a harsh, unforgiving universe, and I'm under no delusion that it's easy to understand--but that's what's exciting about the human adventure.
yes you're absolutely right, it isn't easy, but exciting nonetheless :D. well as for the easy answer, well you're right about that. but sometimes that can be helpful because sometimes life can be a bit too exciting. if your head just keeps on spinning round from all these questions that can't be answered, so many uncertain things. it can make you go crazy sometimes. it's not a death to curiosity. theists can still study the earth and science. but realizing you can't ever have definitive answers, it's filling up that hole of things you don't know with a simple answer. and sometimes that's all you need to keep your mind at peace. it can help focus on other important things, instead of running in circles around those unanswerable questions and loosing your head over them. it's an easy answer indeed. but for some people it's a very welcome easy answer and all they need to move on and learn to live a normal life :meow:
As a badly designed and constructed house. A perfect testament to the imperfect concept of a god. 
The Bible is a story, my friend. Just like Harry Potter. Based on real stuff, sure, but not in any way factual.
I find Harry Potter more credible.
Neither. Because the Bible is a Spiritual book and you need to compare them with scriptures with other scriptures to rest of the whole Bible in order for anyone to get to the spiritual things of God. Otherwise, it would be impossible for anyone to know the meaning of God's word whether if it's literally or not.
Wrong! "Every Word in the Bible came from the mouth of GOD, not man"

"Every Scripture is God-breathed and profitable for instruction, for conviction, for correction, and for training in righteousness. --2 Timothy 3:16."