Your Christian purpose

Often it is said in theological debates that the flaw of being an Atheist is that you do not have a purpose. To more derogatory extents that "Atheism is a refusal to acknowledge your purpose". Okay then... what is this "purpose"? 
Comments185
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
"This "purpose"" is Christianese for "the purpose for which God created you", and in Christianity, that purpose is to serve God and preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

*Jumps into a bomb shelter*
Christian purpose is to accept Christ offered salvation is all.

.. There rest are mumbo jumbo for all i care.
Haa? Oh, Look what we have here. "MaskedDeviantReturns?" Trying to hide his identity? You scared of Istavan that he might find you? Hahahaaa! You coward and that is your purpose.
You are hiding your identity too, you hypocrite. Unless of course you want me to believe that "TimeHasAnEnd" is your actual name. And your master does not frighten me. He is welcome to speak to me whenever he wishes. Tell me, what did you hope to achieve by posting this message off yours, other than to publicity fellate the ego of your new master? You are licking his boots so hard that you're starting to shit shoe polish. So how about it, Timey, are you hoping that your senpai will notice you?
I don't see you're earning any brownie points here to make comments. Unless, you're getting paid under the table from DragonNapalm. So, where is your master hero boy to speak for you, ha? So tell us, what is your purpose to achieve for being an atheist and to bully the Christians? Unless, your refusal to acknowledged that you don't have a purpose in life and admit that your claim has no merit.
You sound like a machine attempting natural human speech by editing together sound clips of things other people have said. You really are incapable of having any original thoughts of your own.
Those are my original thoughts. Edit is good that's what is there for, you idiot! You speak like robot and you never did have your own brain. They just pay you under the table what to say and whatnot to say.

To earn brownie points and wait for the end mostly.
As its put in quotes, what do you mean by purpose?
I think that's actually the question that MaskedDeviantReturns is asking. The problem is that unless you're someone who goes around telling people that if they don't join your religion, they're denying their purpose, it's probably not an answerable question. So I think a lot of people really can't answer this.

BTW good to see you.
hello friend! <3  Good to "see" you too. :)

yes. A christian takes the word "purpose" for granted I wonder - it means lots of things, so I'm anticipating a bunch of lost in translation issues happening in this discussion.
It's been a while, I hope life has been treating you well! :aww: 

Yeah there's definitely a lot that gets lost in translation. I think one of the differences is that Christians are more likely to get a sense of inherent purpose that's built out of their understanding of reality. For an atheist or agnostic, our understanding of reality isn't necessarily going to provide us with purpose, at least not directly in an easy-to-explain fashion. I also suspect Christians are more likely to be able to find ways of explaining their purpose in shorthand such that other people can relate. But those are both just guesses!

And I also think you're right that 'purpose' can mean something different from different worldview perspectives.
Whatever the theist means by purpose when they say that I lack or reject my purpose by not believing in the existence of deities.
No. Your lack for believing of existence of deites is way more than enough that it rejected your own self. 
So... if he believed in LOTS of deities, he'd have a lot of purpose?
I guess that's hard to answer without knowing what the atheist believes about purpose. What would you say it is for you? Do you think purpose is something that actually exists?
Purpose is what you give yourself to occupy your day. But to say that you have or need a purpose for living is rather silly. I'd be hard pressed to find any really person who lives their life expressly for the fulfillment of a single purpose. And if they do then their lives must be pretty empty. A machine is built to fulfill a purpose. A person is born to experience life. 
Well, that all depends, if your purpose has no merit for being an atheist, then you have no purpose in living and you're waisting your pretty empty time. A machine has no choice to fulfill their own destiny and that is a very empty life. They're program to do only one thing, like a robot or being an atheist. On the other hand, being agnostic is more likely to have a choice to choose to fufill their destiny.
Seems like your only purpose is to lurk online forums for outspoken Atheists and attempt to demean them. You know this is true because that is literally the only thing you have ever done on this website for 4 years running. Lurk the P&R forums and make snide and childish remarks about Atheists. That and spout insane dribble trying to disprove one scientific theory that you don't even understand the first thing about. You must live a pretty sad and empty life.
Isn't what you've been doing for 10 years, bullying all the Chrsitians who believes in God. You're pathetic individuals! So why don't you do something for a change get up out of your damn computer and change your underwear, you've been sitting in that chair 24/7. You smell like a dead rat, that has been dead for years. LOL!
View all replies
I think I see. So just to clarify, are you saying that you think a single purpose can exist, but that its unrealistic to hold to it and/or shouldn't hold to one purpose?
I feel that is a loaded question. A person can have a main purpose in their life, such as worshipping of a deity, but to say that is the purpose for their existence is the same as saying that without that one purpose, they have no reason to exist. Which I don't know about you, but that mentality simply devalues the person's life.
Sure. Without all the christianese jargon, I could agree on a definition of purpose as meaning some great and general sense of function or duty, while other lesser (but very much present) purposes co-exist with that purpose. Would we agree on that sense?

Sorry for such a fuss. Good to have some understanding here before I go on being presumptuous.

Banking on that you would agree, I think the discussion can get confused pretty easily, as a Christian is seeing an atheist losing a greater sense of purpose from the Christian's perspective. Certainly atheists and agnostics alike out there believe in purposes or sense of purpose in their life. They have convictions, beliefs, codes they live by, etc.

I think the better approach between atheist and theist is to explore whether or not the concept of purpose really exist within a naturalistic world view, or if it is simply an illusion used as a survival mechanism. I don't think purpose and meaning really exist if naturalism goes through as being the true worldview.
View all replies
darlings.......pleeeeeese stop all this bickering.

We all have the same purpose...In the words of the late  Amir Aczel...

"Science and religion are two sides of the same deep human impulse to understand the world, to know our place in it, and to marvel at the wonder of life and the infinite cosmos we are surrounded by. Let’s keep them that way, and not let one attempt to usurp the role of the other."

Now..... back to the bickering.