Best way to convince people to leave gay people alone?

For some reason, LGBT is a hot topic in Indonesia right now. IIRC it started when a group of student was banned from discussing LGBT topics in their university out of fear of "ruining moral values" or such thing. Not only that, but people online are mocking, bullying, and even giving threats towards those students and LGBT people in general.

Indonesia is a very religious country; homosexuality is pretty much a big no-no by most everyone. Whatever you say to convince people that homosexuality is okay will be refuted with "I don't care, my religion (which is Islam 90% of the time) says no!! It's a mental sickness, and a contagious one! Look at these medical journals that classify them as one! You are one of them if you are defending them!" and other classic responses. So getting people to see your point of view is out of the question, at least in the short term.

So my question is, what is your way of telling people to not bother gay people? I understand if people don't like gay people, but at least they should refrain from giving hate speech, you know?
Comments83
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I have no idea how to do it in Indonesia.

Here in 'murica, you might try taking everything they say about gays, and replace "gay" with "Jew." Then watch their reaction.

"I am not prejudiced against Jews! I just disagree with people being Jewish, because I'm a Christian and my religion says it's wrong. And I just don't like all this pressure to 'accept' people being Jewish in the media. if you want to be Jewish fine, but why can't you do it in private? Why does TV have to have so many Jewish characters, and pressure our kids with propaganda about 'accepting' Jewish people? And why do people keep calling me 'prejudice' whenever I voice my opinion about Judaism?" 
Every generation of youth can help to continue to break down stereotypes and homophobia. With a more secular society, this may be easier, because the nature debate isn't strong enough to argue, and when you don't have the 'word of God' on your side homophobes have nothing to argue against.

With religion a flexible rhetoric is not as helpful because religious people say they have definitive proof that homosexuality/alternate sexualities are bad, and it doesn't leave a lot of room for argument because they take their religious text as absolute.

You could say to those people with religious affiliations that tolerance is an important aspect of being spiritual and holy, and that LGBT lifestyles are not negatively impacting those who have heteronormative lifestyles. If they could only understand that spreading love is better than spreading hate, no one would be having this problem.

I know that can be difficult though because these type of people are quick to get defensive and irate.
You can't convince people right off the bat. For me and my family (not against homosexuals at all, but they say some oldschool BS sometimes on other topics) I find that if I take it slow but am persistent about something, they'll eventually see things from my perspective (i.e., the RIGHT perspective hahaha)
First of all it shouldn't be about gay people, it should be about oppression, that is the core problem. Islam is an intolerant religion so the intolerance of that religion should be discussed in general and not marginalized to a single topic. If one part of society is oppressed everyone eventually gets oppressed. Never look away, even when it is not effecting you personally. Attack all injustice, make it general don't let them corner you into a specific argument. It is not about being gay, it is about them being tyrants. Because today it's sexuality, tomorrow it are the minorities and dissidents. Unite organize and attack. Overthrow them, you can do it! 
In a deeply religious Muslim country? There probably isn't one.
Glue adult "toys"(wink wink) on the roof of an homophobic building, such as a church! But I don't recommend it on mosques. Islam takes sexuality very seriously.
Gently cup their balls.
"You don't bother us, then we won't bother you."
Move to a country where they actually tolerate different human beings.
their are none lol
Sure there are, or at least to an extent.

Go to a secular country
I don't know if there's anything you can do for the older folk. I would start by teaching the younger generation to be more accepting of gays. They aren't as indoctrinated.
You can't change religious brainwashing.  People like that would rather martyr than admit they were wrong.
Just because it is a mental disorder does not mean they deserve to be harassed for it.
Unfortunalty in a place like Indonesia theirs really nothing you can do but give it time and wait for
it to slowly become socially acceptable. Like with all countries the LGBT became accepted with
time slowly throwing in new ways of thinking changing laws one at a time. Forcing down people just doesn't work.

Most people have their opinions ingrained in to their mind and no amount of convincing is going
to change their minds. They'll only change if they themselves want to change. Telling them other
wise if just going put them more against it. The best thing to do is just ignore them or don't bring up
the topic.

Theirs no easy way or  however many step plan to do this. The solution that you're looking for in simple
one liners isn't going to work. It'll just piss them off and honestly they've probably heard it all before so they
will have a comeback. Back-handed comments don't convince people.

I don't know. It's really hard to figure out the best avenue to social change, and some of it takes waiting it out for old views to die out. In the meantime you have to challenge them, but I don't feel like the best ways of doing that are obvious.

Sadly, cultural change doesn't always lead to different groups gaining acceptance or safety within a society... but figuring out a route that leads to those things is hard. And I don't know enough about what it's really like in different parts of Indonesia to feel confident that I could give advice. 
Shit, the fact the you're in Indonesia makes it much worse. 
Show them actual Muslim history where homosexuality was perfectly normal 
but lol good luck it's a muslim country.
Mental sickness isn't contagious.

And gay isn't a mental illness. It's easy to pass it off as such because it's unusual. But I beg to differ about asexuality since those are usually symptoms of something.

I'd usually point out their hypocrisy to shut them up. 

"Does Islam teach you to bully people just because they're different? No. There's a few verses telling you not to shove your beliefs on people because that's God's job to change their heart,not yours. So leave them alone and focus on your spiritual development.And don't you pull out Lot's verses. I swear, the only thing you see would be gays, not the rapes going on or the amount of STDs these people have with their lifestyles. "

And I get tired easily. So I'm most likely to give up and move on. Just move under the radar. 
Since most of the time that people are against it because of religion, I like to bring the bible into it.

James 4:11-12 states "There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbour?" By judging me and them and telling us that we are going to hell you are sinning in the eyes of the Lord. 
Probably not the best idea to bring up the Bible in an Islamic country.
There might be a similar verse. :shrug: