What Book?

According to AlQur'an 27:38-40, when Solomon asks the jins if they can transport the palace of the Queen of Sheba, and while one jin says he can do it before Solomon stands up, an afreet from among the jins, "one who possessed knowledge from the book," says he can do it in the blink of an eye.

So, what book did this afreet apparently possess knowledge from? What book or scripture is that verse referring to? 
Comments19
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
The Necronomicon
If only that was true :) Unfortunately, the Necronomicon is not "real."
well, when you put "real" in quotes like that, i can't really argue.
It implies that I don't know quite yet whether or not I believe in the common definitions of the "realness" of a scripture. For all we know, maybe the Necronomicon really WAS divinely revealed to H.P. Lovecraft. I have encountered people that really sincerely believe in it, despite knowing its history. 
people are silly.
Indeed they are. So am I. 
The term seems to refer to a scribe (one who has knowledge of the book) - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asif_ibn… 
The Arabic of the verse 27:38-40 says "jin" and "'afreet." It uses a plural form of "jin." But I want to know what book this jin apparently possessed knowledge from. There are multiple known texts that this could be a reference to. If Solomon was a real prophet, and really received divine revelations from GOD, (and let's just assume such is the case, for the sake of the argument), then it is possible that the book the jin possessed knowledge from, was whatever scripture that was revealed to Solomon...maybe the Psalms of Solomon, or the Song of Solomon, or possibly the apocryphal Testament of Solomon, or possibly an unknown or long forgotten text. Or, it is possible that it is referring to an older scripture...maybe one of the older books from the Old Testament, or maybe a Babylonian or Persian text...

The two angels Haroot and Maroot had visited Babel (a.k.a. "Babylon") during Solomon's reign, according to some texts. According to The Qur'an, they brought knowledge of magic to the Babylonians. These two are also mentioned in the much older Zoroastrian Avesta scriptures from ancient Persia, (modern day Iran now), as Maurvatat and Ameretat. So there could be some connection to the Avestas. Also, knowing how the Babylonians were known to have written books of "magic," I would find it logical to assume, that if strange beings came down and taught them more magic, they likely would have written a book about it. So it's possible that 27:40 in The Qur'an is referring to a jin spirit being that possessed knowledge from a Babylonian text.

I'm just wondering what book specifically, the verse is referring to.
I'm just wondering what book specifically, the verse is referring to.

The verse doesn't refer to a specific text, it certainly could have said book x or y, but it doesn't. In the context of that section - Solomon (as) speaks to his chiefs/commanders (Al-Mala'u) and from the jin (plural as you point out) a single ifrit (singular) responds. This was apparently his scribe (one with knowledge of the book ie the book he'd keep records in for his king). It doesn't seem likely that the word 'book' would refer to what Harut and Marut would have taught (whether or not they're angels is debated). The verses about them classes those that follow what the two taught as astray and rejects the assertion that Solomon was among them (Q 2:102). Many of the more elaborate stories about Harut and Marut are originally from Judaeo-Christian sources (like the Midrash). Also, in general, honing in on 'what book' seems to miss the general themes of the surah. 
I don't think it is a very human thing, to be able to transport the palace in the blink of an eye, and even remodel it's interior. As for Haroot and Maroot, it seems to me that 2:102 does not imply that Haroot and Maroot were themselves disbelievers; they warned people that what they brought was a test, and that the people should not disbelieve. As for the event with Solomon, when I read the Arabic for 27:38-40, to me it seems clear that two jin beings are referred to; the 'afreet or ifrit - the "strong one," who says he can bring to Solomon the Sheban palace before Solomon stands, and, the one who possessed knowledge from alkitab, who says he can transport the palace in the blink of an eye.

The whole point is that it's something miraculous; so miraculous, complete with the remodeling of it's interior, that when the queen of Sheba arrives, she submits to GOD and becomes a believer. So there is an important difference between these two jins that both offered to perform the feat: one boasts of strength - the 'afreet; but the other, who possesses knowledge from alkitab, is more powerful. I'm thinking, if by "alkitab," what is meant is a specific scripture, then it would imply that this particular jin was different from the 'afreet because what made him more powerful was his belief. He "possessed knowledge from the book," possibly divine guidance from whatever scripture he had apparently learned from. But I wonder what kind of holy book would give a jin knowledge that would make him able to perform such a feat. 
I agree that the passage is talking about something miraculous which acts as a contrast to the pharaoh who sees miracles yet still rejects.  And yeah I agree that Harut and Marut may be angels (which would disqualify them from being disbelievers). Reading the Arabic, it does seem like there are two jinn's talking (contrasting strength and knowledge) - but the point about one with knowledge of the book remains. 
It still leaves my question unanswered.
1001 Nights, apparently. :lol:
That's what gave birth to Quran in the first place, ya know.
I am not certain about that.
I'm kinda joking - but Islam IS a mixture of monotheism and fairy tales.
I figured. 

I don't believe that Islam is based on fairy tales though. Any story that one considers to be fictional, one may call a "fairy tale." 
I do mean literal folklore, though.
Islam is the only version of monotheism to give Free Will (aka the biggest human-only ability) to Djinns (who are ANOTHER species altogether in Islam).
According to what, though? There are many different variations of "Islam."