Why do people think like this?

Some people think that atheist have no morals. I always wonder why, just because you don't believe in God doesn't mean you are a man of no morals. I'm an atheist and I have morals. Discuss
Comments249
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Morals are very subjective things. What one group sees as wholly moral behavior, another might see as immoral.
People shouldn't avoid killing or doing horrible things because they fear the police, hell, or any consequence. That would make it insincere.

You shouldn't go around killing and robbing simply because it's a shitty thing to do. We're from the same damn species, religious or not, and we should act like it. Parents are the one's who best teach their children morals, not the bible.
Your born good or evil and religion will do nothing either way....
I believe that they do have morals. 
I have disagreements with Atheists, but I can respect their opinions. I may argue with them, and push my faith (sometimes wrongly...) onto them in the argument, but I respect their views nonetheless, even if I believe them to be false. 

I think it's more that it's hard for some people to understand how they would not believe in a higher power. Such as myself, I find it hard to understand. I was raised a christian, and I still hold onto that faith. 

Please, don't take offense if I have been rude, I wasn't trying to be.

I actually somewhat enjoy the disagreements at times. I think it's nice to see other peoples views on the world, even if you don't believe them. 
I can see why all your life you were raised that way.

Anywho it's okay to disagree.

Heck I wonder "how do you not question what the bible says: :lol:
Well, I don't question it because I believe it to be true. :D After all, God said it was true, and he said not to Question him, so.... Yep. 

There also is some solid proof. I'm not sure if you would be interested, but here's a link; 
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2assFI…

You may be interested because they have views from Atheists in this. 
Wel as long as you are happy!
I guess. xD 
If you look at the video, great, if not, no harm done. ^^
Morals differ from person to person. It's how we define our version of right and wrong.

What the majority of us are saying is that atheism is like "moral anarchy". No standard moral code to follow, because they often take that "morals differ" concept too far.

The claim isn't "no morals", it's "weak morals".
I'm an atheist - well, that's not entirely true, I believe in the Sun and the Stars...

...and I have no morals - that is true. Behind my well-behaved facade I am extremely cynical.
"I believe in the Sun and the Stars..."

You mean you believe that they exist? Or, do you mean that they have, or are, some sort of Divine power?
Here's a journal I made.

The Sun is a living, conscious being:sun:
It is the stars, The stars above us, govern our conditions. 
- William Shakespeare, King Lear, act 4, scene 3, page 2
http://nfs.sparknotes.com/lear/page_220.html
:sun:
The proposition is that Sun is a living, conscious being with an intelligence that dwarfs our own. I am not only suggesting that Sun is a large complex system with some form of self-governing intelligence to it, but also that it is a living being, aware of itself and its place in the universe; that it is fully conscious and communicates with other conscious beings at its own level, and other levels; that its consciousness is so far beyond what we enjoy that it could be accorded deity status of a high order, and be recognized as a conscious being by atheists and agnostics, whatever spin they put on it.
As staggering as this proposition might seem, it is hardly novel, and was once held as a near universal belief or understanding in most parts of the globe. It is possible that generations of N

Here's another journal I made.

Upon The Sand
.:GENERATIONS PASS:.
.:CIVILIZATIONS DIE:.
.:THE BLiNK OF AN EYE:.
.:IN GALACTIC TIME:.

Said one man to another,
"At the high tide of the sea, long ago, I wrote a line upon the sand with the tip of my staff;
and people still pause to read it, and they are careful that naught shall erase it." 
The other man said,
"I too wrote a line upon the sand; but it was at low tide, and the waves of the vast sea washed it away.
But tell me, what did you write?"
And the first man answered,
"I wrote this: 'I am he who is.'
But what did you write?" 
And the other man said,
"This I wrote:
'I am but a drop in this great ocean.' "
~ Kahlil Gibran, The Wanderer

The Scale of the Universe >>> http://htwins.net/scale2/ <<< The Scale of the Universe

The Sun = God.

"Our Father, who art in Heaven..."

Christianity was derived from Sun worship (see quote + link in the first journal).
It's one of those stupid generalization things. It has to do with the fact that most immoral people are atheist, however we should all well know that the inverse is not true.
Mostly because atheism opens itself up to moral nihilism quite easily. That's the reason that Dahmer gave for his murders.
Dahmer was a Christian.
He converted to Christianity in prison. In an interview for Dateline, he explained himself by asking, "if a person doesn’t think that there is a God to be accountable to, then what’s the point of trying to modify your behavior to keep it within acceptable ranges?"
To answer his question - empathy, compassion, reason, not wanting to make enemies, basic self-preservation, fear or social isolation...pretty much every one of those are more admirable in my mind to the fear of some supernatural babysitters wrath.

I also find it strange that, according to the Christian myth, Bundy will be going to heaven for accepting Jesus after years of sadistic torture and murder, but the Jew whose never harmed anyone will be going to hell where he will suffer for all eternity.

Not a moral idea in my opinion.
To avoid prison.
Yeah, well. Apparently Mr. Dahmer thought he had that base covered.
Detective Martin Hart: I mean, can you imagine if people didn't believe, what things they'd get up to? 

Detective Rustin Cohle
: Exact same thing they do now. Just out in the open. 

Detective Martin Hart
: Bullshit. It'd be a fucking freak show of murder and debauchery and you know it. 

Detective Rustin Cohle
: If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of shit; and I'd like to get as many of them out in the open as possible. 
That was such a good show, even though Cohle's philosophy was completely based on - and in some lines completely stolen from - the writings of Thomas Ligotti, especially The Conspiracy Against the Human Race .
The reality is people are born good or evil... Religion does not affect it....
View all replies